GreaseSpot Cafe

hi, i'm new here.

jay the impaler

interesting find this website. my mom and stepad were in TWI from about 78-81. they then finally decided to leave the self serving pathetic simpleton BS.

i dont really remeber anything negative, as all I really remember was going to new knoxville about 5 times for the rock and all the twig people.

jargon is for idiots so none of it really stuck with me. at one end of the spectrum there is sense, and at the other, slogans.

if i remember correctly there was a lot of BS regarding their trip going W.O.W.

-that is a beyond-gay moniker, btw-

and now that I look back it all looks a little silly. something an education in psychology will help, overcoming all the idiocy attached to religion, faith, cults and in general people who are sheep.

i do miss some of the people my age but that has nothing to do with the religion/faith/sect whatever, it was just a sentimental age attachment.

I find it odd that I hadn't thought about this stuff in years and then came across it here and found all this drama blown up. crazy. but I guess theres one thing thats true and often overlooked: people don't necessarily get smarter in groups.

I empathize with my parents for they were suckered in by these leeches-of-fashion at a vulnerable time in their lives. and since they were raised in 'religion proper' they thought they'd found some hippie alternative to big business in religon.

I'd prefer they had gotten a full education in philosophy and psychology before ever experiencing religion/faith/whatever but of course I didnt raise them.

hey welcome Jay,

I have a Jay who was a kid raised in TWI also,

well he was a Jason,

anyway your observations of a well adjusted kid who didn't buy the parents trip is good. Funny cause I had 2 kids in TWI, the one quite like you with not miserable memories, but moments of actual fun!! the 2nd kid won't even discuss the days of Whine and No Roses....

anyway welcome,

you are great in your observations about the group think:

"I find it odd that I hadn't thought about this stuff in years and then came across it here and found all this drama blown up. crazy. but I guess theres one thing thats true and often overlooked: people don't necessarily get smarter in groups."

start a new discussion and see yourself where it goes. Use the philosophy or the psychology you know and love, it all becomes quite interesting!!

"jargon is for idiots so none of it really stuck with me. at one end of the spectrum there is sense, and at the other, slogans."

can't wait to hear from you!!

suzie

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jay,

I grew up in twi as well, only my Ps wern't as smart as yours. Actually, they are still in. It took me 20 years to break away myself.

I like a lot of what you said. Looking back it seems more than a little silly to me though. It is incredibly sad and rediculous.

Hope to see your POV popping up around here.

• 1 month later...

Jay...

I find some of your observations a bit harsh but I'll chalk it up to your lack of personal involvement with twi... the more you have allowed twi into your life, the more you have to get over. Some of us were deeply involved for 20 years or more. That means we have a lot of baggage to unload. And many folks didn't get started until recently. But I can see how to you, a bit of an outsider, it might seem overly dramatic. I'm curious what age you were when your parents were involved.

I agree that most people in a group become sheep. (A person is smart. People are dumb, dangerous, panicky, stupid animals and you know it.--MIB) But this quote about your parents: "they were suckered in by these leeches-of-fashion at a vulnerable time in their lives" applies to a great many of us who got involved in twi. When you are vulnerable and you trust the wrong people, it can be very difficult to recognize your error and get yourself out. Consider your family lucky that your parents only stayed a few years.