GreaseSpot Cafe

9th Corps

notinKansasanymore

I believe that it was Mr. Gail and Mrs. Francis Winegarner. My memories are fading, speaking of sunset, but weren't they the parents of Fritz Winegarner, the M.D. in Marion Ohio? I really thought that he was one of the very nicest people in the whole ministry. He'd lost his first wife to cancer, and married his second right in the middle of her W.O.W. year (take THAT, trustees!) and they made a happy family together. They had all of the Ohio W.O.W.s over for a swimming party during our celebrated interim year, and he threw a frog at me.

Their kids were sweet, and the two of them always seemed to be happy. I liked them a lot.

There were three Winegarner brothers: Bob, Fritz, and ________ . Do I have the names mixed up on which one was the M.D.?

Sexie, we had our own wonderful Mike and Nancy Blinknik. And for mellowtripper, we had Grace Blessing. And then we had Wink/Blink Martindale who thank God was no relation to our hero in tights. Those tights WOULD make you blink, though. Enough to make a grown man cry.

Gail and Francis.

Gayle and Francis Cardullo

and last but not least, Jose Farias who married Marsha Ferris who became MFF.

My father (earthly, of course), Grace Bless his soul, had numerous, wunnerful lil sayings and anacronyms to Brian Bless your soul, among which was C*** H***** M***** F***** (which didn't stand for Chappell, Hayward and Mimi Finnigan).

Mark, whatcha Gagnon?

I had the sr. winegarners rove thru my college wow town and stayed over at the house I shared with Tom Mausolf. I made a delicious hot meal of spaghetti, only to find out it negetively affected Gayle's sensitive digestive tract. This was after I hand-vaccuumed the house, as we had no vaccuum cleaner. Man oh man, can you pick up a LOT of stuff burried deep in the carpet when doing that by hand. Much more thorough than any Kirby, I'll tell you ... time is not important when it comes to the accuracy of that word !!

gale budlong gale kran crystal gale frannie west jeff frank

HAND vacuumed the house !!!!!!! ohmygod i'm laughing so hard i'm crying. did you rake afterwards for spiritually right-on carpet flow?

we didn't have a television in our WUNderful college wow home. retemorizing and televising are at cross purposes

We donated the T.V. when we moved from the big old niKapad to the little new one. I had spent a couple of years with no television before marrying Mr. niKa; it was kind of a challenge thing for my students; sometimes one would take me up on it,and spend a week without watching; they actually realized some amazement that they were still livingand breathing at the end of the week.

My children have calmed down an amazing amount without television; mr. niKa and I talk to one another quite a bit more than we used to; the children and I play more board games together; we all talk to one another more, and we're all interacting with one another much more than we used to.

I hadn't expected to like the peacefulness this much. I had also expected that it would be much more difficult to "be with" the kids, without the T.V. to keep them busy. Nice surprises, and the school library is using the television.

Well,GSG,...one story I remember about our dear brother Don,God rest his soul...

There was about a couple hundred of us sleeping in the male corpse tents at the rock,which is where I think our beloved Az. sherrif,Joe Arpaio got the idea for his famous "tent city jail"...Anywho,Don was about 20 cots away,and as his manner was,was filling the air with his rapid-fire snoring....He sounded like a prisoner trying to hacksaw his way out of the jail bars...I couldn't hear it all,but somebody must have woke him up and said "you're snoring loud"...I just heard him lash out in the darkness something like "well,what in the hell do you want me to do about it?...I gotta sleep too"....About 10 seconds later,the snoring resumed....

He did as Simonion says, snored with ALL BOLDNESS, at L.E.A.D also (the rock-climbing, outdoor survival class). My wife & I had the blessing to be in a tent next to his for a night or two. But he looked buff carying the large pack on his back, huffin' n a'puffin up those trails.

He had a big ole heart to match his size. I don't believe anyone would not have called him 'brother' ...

I went to New York for Don and Linda's wedding, and I stayed at Don's mom's house. I was originally stationed in Don's room with him, but once the "hacksawing" began, I headed downstairs and found a couch. It was almost STILL too noisy! What was particularly disturbing was not so much the volume but rather the CADENCE of his snoring. He sounded like he was about to choke to death with every breath! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_eek.gif

I also have to agree with Tom. He had a great heart and was always there. Even when he reproved you, you knew he wasn't going to keep holding it over you. No "Corps Nazi" here!

George