GreaseSpot Cafe

9th Corps

notinKansasanymore

Texas in overtime with LSU - Go, Texas!!

Sorry NIKA

I'm nursing my little seedlings along ... they were inside, but I had them covered to keep them warm and forgot about them with all the snow ... some will survive ...

Snow is almost gone ... lotsa birds coming back now ... singing everywhere (except in Austin ...) :evilshades:

Austin. If God were a city, He/She'd be Austin, Texas.

I called my sister yesterday; she was basking in the sun at Barton Springs. I could hear the birds through the phone.

If Jealously weren't so beneath me, I'd be seriously green.

:thinking:

Trying . . . so . . . hard . . . not to be green . . ..

Oh. For the uninitiated, Barton Springs is a swimmin' hole in Zilker Park, in Austin, Texas. The water was too cold for the summertime air-mattress flotilla, but they did okay just lying on a blanket and catching some serious Vitamin D.

I don't know if they still do Shakespeare in the Park at Zilker Park, but the seventies were magic in Austin.

Actually, it's next to one of those idyllic small hill country towns-New Braunfels. It's claim to fame was its nothingness-just a grist mill. But the mill closed and the town was deserted, until somebody stumbles on the remains and thought-"Hey-a future tourist trap!".

It's the location of Gruene Hall-beer and dance hall featured occasionally in some country videos. The mill was turned into a restuarant and, for a while, developed a "coffehouse" atmosphere where local musicians could play. It was next the Guadalupe, and before the hordes decend upon the town for river rafting, it was the perfect place to spend an April evening. I lived in New Braunfels for 10 years, and it was a fun place to get away, have a drink, play pool, grap some ribs, look at the stars, listen to the river....

It's built up a bit-been a while since I've been there, so I imagine it's commercilized more than anyone can stand, but it was a great place for a date or evening with buds. I miss it.

Happy Saturday, and Happy April Fool's Day, everybody!

You may remember that about a year and a half ago, we moved out of our old house to put it on the market, and moved into what had been our rent house. Yesterday, after all those months of two house payments, the old niKaPad finally closed. Somebody bought it for his daughter and several of her sorority sisters, for their senior year of college.

:biglaugh:

Today, I'm dancing debt-free.

:dance:

Edited by notinKansasanymore

Storms? When I read your post, Tom, I checked the weather site. It appears that we're in a tornado watch until 2:am.

I had no idea. :blink:

Of course, in this part of the country, we pretty much spend the entire Springtime in various tornado watches. But I will keep an ear out for the sirens, in case they blow.

Thanks, bro.

:eusa_clap:

you're welcome...

Of course, in this part of the country, we pretty much spend the entire Springtime in various tornado watches. But I will keep an ear out for the sirens, in case they blow.

don't we though? ...at least the only cones we need to worry about are the snow kind...

Edited by Tom Strange

Baseball? When is opening day?

the monster grapes are done ... just 100 or so new ones to prune, they go fast ...

36 here last night, might still need another fire before spring is fully here

excie is still watching hockey I think ... she prolly thinks it is still winter ....

I'm gonna need a nice old truck like brother Simon was working on ... that would be so fine

Those bad storms the last week missed us ... just a little hail ... hope TX and OK were OK

Edited by rhino

We got a bit 'o hail late one evening; I got drenched putting a tarp over the garden. The hail stopped without ever really getting started, but the next morning, there was about a hundred pounds of water on the tarp, sitting on some of the cabbage plants . . . they've gone to Heaven, and there are little lettuce seedlings in their places.

Sheesh.

:redface2:

Rhino, are you starting a winery? If you pick a wine label, will it be traditional or new age?

I can envisage the labels. Reprobate Merlot, for when you want to dine well, but be bad!

Troublemaker Vinyard, Wild Child Wines - I could see Rhino, tooling around the vines in a Simon truck.

then, of course, there are the more positive names: AngelWing Winery, Harmony Vinyard, or Interlude Grape Company.

Anyway, if you make any wine this year, I'd love to buy some!