GreaseSpot Cafe

9th Corps

notinKansasanymore

Thanks, Dooj!

Happy Tuesday, everyone. I'll go have a G & T in your honor.

I've had Aretha songs in my head for a few days now. It's been quite a groovy week.

:dance:

"My sister says leave you alone. My Daddy says 'Come on home.' My doctor says 'Take it easy!' Oh, but your lovin' is MUCH TOO STRONG. I'm added to your chain, chain, chain . . . chain, chain, chain . . . chain of fools . . . "

Weeds ... yechh. I've seen some crocus popping up :eusa_clap: , but the little bit of green here is mostly weeds and a little grass. The grapes are about half pruned but the buds aren't swelling yet. I'm starting some tomatoes from seed today. It was 75 yesterday, wind blowing around 30 mph today. Another week and it will be official ...

:dance: SPRING :dance:

Oh HI, Rhino. I didn't see your response earlier.

Good luck with the tomatoes. We like the varieties that can be had from starting them from seed, but have also been pretty happy with the generic (already started) plants that the nurseries sell. Just can't get any Genovese or black tomatoes from there, though. I like the Genovese because they look so weird; one year, we had one that looked like Grumpy, one of the seven dwarfs.

It's so too super cool that you grow grapes. Have fun out there doing the rest of the pruning.

Tom: Mr. niKa has already gotten the hoe to the liittle valleys between the rows.

More importantly, we have re-inaugurated the lawn chairs. Brats and beer and conversation on a gorgeous Spring day in the back yard.

That's livin'.

Ah, methinks me wee bairns fed their Ma some misinformation . . . bein' as the little darlin's were so excited about startin' the pinchin' early.

Tonto: I was only involved in the barest fringes of the ministry in Oklahoma. It was the last year that I hung around, after having done twelve years in the Corps, on the field, and on HQ staff. I went to a few meetings, attended one PFAL, started going back to college, and went back to Corps Week one last time to say goodbye. Hard to recall now, but I don't think that I even stayed for the Rock that year.

I remember going to twig at John Zika's house in Edmond, and hanging out with the Steve and Merilee, with Mary and Richard, with Kunkle, and with the Roberts family. They were all very nice. John Lynn would come through almost every year, and do a teaching at Richard and Mary's, and it was always good to see him. I remember going up to Wichita, KS to hear a two-or-three day Shoenheit teaching, which was great. I think that John and John are two of the very nicest men I've ever met.

I continued going to those semi-yearly meetings at Mary and Richard's after my first child was born, but missed the last one or two due to family and work commitments. It was a pretty gentle parting. It's been several years, now, since I've had contact with any of them. Life carries us along in different directions, but it's on a rather smooth stream, with no rapids.

I remember going to twig at John Zika's house in Edmond, and hanging out with the Steve and Merilee, with Mary and Richard, with Kunkle, and with the Roberts family. They were all very nice. John Lynn would come through almost every year, and do a teaching at Richard and Mary's, and it was always good to see him. I remember going up to Wichita, KS to hear a two-or-three day Shoenheit teaching, which was great. I think that John and John are two of the very nicest men I've ever met.

I remember John Zika very well from my 8th corps residence year at Emporia. We were fellow Way C. of E. choir tenors. Also, he was the one on the camping trip when, with all trapped in a barn by the weather, announced he was changing his pants...so , he said, all those who wanted to turn away could do so!

Hey, I just realized that my previous post named three Johns, and then I complemented two of them as being extremely nice. I should have said that all three of them are sweethearts.

Tonto: I got into the Word in Wichita Falls, my hometown, in 1975, which is unbelieveably thirty years ago. I took various classes in different cities, did summer outreach in Waco and also in Lamesa.

This reminds me that I went to my thirty-year high school reunion a few months ago.

I wore a short black dress and danced my brains out.

Gee Nika, we were like passing trains...I doubt that my Texas twi time coincided with yours but we probably know some of the same folks.

You went to your high school reunion in a short black dress...how cool is that? Good for you! :dance:

rhino, when you were in Dallas, I was in Ft. Worth. We must have been at some of the same meetings. There were always meetings, weren't there? :sleep1:

rhino, when you were in Dallas, I was in Ft. Worth. We must have been at some of the same meetings. There were always meetings, weren't there? :sleep1:
LOL, I think I remember now, we already talked about this ... I do remember that one guy I think you had mentioned ... he sold me some window accounts in Las Colinas ... Sherin Fr**a went to my twig after she was exiled from Ft. Worth for enticing too many married men ... or something like that ... LOL Those poor helpless married guys ... good grief Then there was paul pealaantay ... and Real Clean window .. poor mary ann that got stuck with buying the company from charlie, who hid the fact that his way workers were all stealing the accounts, she was even having heart trouble, but she had left twi, so she was evil .... man there was a lot of crap going on even back then ...

I remember Mary Ann and her sister (can't recall sister's name). I stayed with them once or twice, going to classes. They were awesome, strong, nice women. Speedskaters. Almost perpetually happy.

Mary Ann told me once that everything she had (except her big shaggy dog) was for sale, because she didn't want to be too attached to material possessions.

Very wise for a young person. Took me many more years than that to learn that lesson.

Oh, I forgot. Hi, Fellow! Hi, Excie!

Go, Australia! :wave:

Tonto, Rhino, did you know "Mrs. T." (Mrs. Taylor) from Fort Worth? She was a treasure. One of the few older folks in the Texas ministry at the time. Opened her home for classes.
We didn't mix much with Ft Worth. I went to FW like twice in 3.5 years, neither time ministry stuff.

Mary Ann a speed skater ... cool. I think her sister was engaged to Lerry Lionard ... which is where I got the details of the real clean fiasco. There was an older lady in NW Dallas same way ...real nice and helpful ... forget her name.