GreaseSpot Cafe

9th Corps

notinKansasanymore

Nika, I don't remember a Mrs. Taylor, but Grace Bliss' daughter being in Dallas sounds familiar. And Mary Ann...I think I remember her...didn't she spend a lot of time with the W!res?

Rhino you're right about Ft. Worth and Dallas not mixing much...and to this day I don't drive into Dallas county unless I have to. I'd rather drive down to Austin than I would Dallas. It seems we had to go to Dallas quite a bit for apprentice corps meetings. And yes, there was plenty of weird stuff going on, even back then.

Strange one, maybe sometime you and the Mrs. can meet up with me and hubs for a drink in the Square of Sundance...

Hey thanks you 9th for letting me post in this most holy of threads...

Strange one, maybe sometime you and the Mrs. can meet up with me and hubs for a drink in the Square of Sundance...

hmmm... sounds like a possibility! the only cult she's ever been in was the JWs.... but she's always wondered about the one I was in...

Heck... even back in the mid 70's we only met with Dallas about once a quarter... but we were friends with many of them and saw them more often... or so it seemed!

Tom Strange, we are 15 hours ahead of Dallas time.. We went today and although I am not a sport fan I did get excited as the Aussies are taking the gold and just so cheered out for the countries competing. A lot of records of the 18 years of commonwealth games have been broken. The commuter trains were so packed like sardines. A fun day at the games.

Come to think of it, I could be wrong about where Mrs. T lived. It was somewhere in the metro area, though.

We're getting rain. I don't believe that it will be enough to break the drought, but it was enough to keep a local house fire from spreading to the rest of the neighborhood. The garden is happy.

FellowCheerer: Go, Australia! I hope that the cyclone isn't affecting you or any of your new family.

so... there was no golf this weekend...

seestorniKa... it's been raining here since Friday night... we have had 7" in our part of the DFW area... others have had more... and there's another huge 'cell' on the way... we took the boy to Love field today to catch a flight, at least we tried to... many flooded streets, stranded cars... we drove through many (no choice) where the water was over the bumper and at the mid grill point... there's lot's of flooding everywhere... check on your family down here niKa...

the weatherman just said "the sun'll come up tomorrow"... ha ha... it's supposed to stop raining in the morning... as for me and mine... we're building an ark (anyone know how big a cubit is?)

well... now the news says we've gotten 8.1 inches 'officially' in my little berg... with some parts of the area over 10 inches... all of this in the last 48 hours... and what's made it worse is that last year we were 16 inches under the normal amount... we've been in the drought conditions... and now we got 4 months of rain in two days... the ground can't hold it...

if you want to see any of the local stuff here's a link to one of the local TV stations and here's a link to the paper.

oh... and it's still raining...

That is unbelievable, Tom. My heart goes out. I worked on Singleton Blvd off Loop 12 for several years and had to go downtown or to Love field a lot, so I am familiar with the areas. Unbelievable pictures.

I also saw the story of the implosion of the Landmark Tower in Ft Worth: can't believe it. Do you know whatever happened to the Bank One Tower? It was one of the buildings that was so badly damaged during the tornado: I've got some great pictures of it. They hadn't thought it could be saved, but I had heard that someone bought it and they were going to try to fix it up for condo's. I left Ft. Worth in 2001, so I don't know the latest.

Niki, that cylone was 100Km across which is 62 imperial miles. It did kill anyone but it hurt 5 and destroyed townships and most of all destroyed bananas plantations that is their livelihood. That was on the north end of Australia in Queensland and we are quite south near the South pole. Today is moving into Autumn and we often get the roaring 40's from the South Pole and I had to put on my jumper (sweater for any okies out there). I love the weather as it never freezes but we are the called the garden state as we get good rainfall and have rain forests nearby.

Wow, Fellowshipper. I read about your cyclone. Nobody killed, and in my opinion, it's because the people used common sense. I surely wish that New Orleans could say that.

Tom: my Ft. Worth family is cops. Thankfully, they are quite good at taking care of one another. Once, my cousin-in-law (detective) had a heart attack in the middle of the night. There were half a dozen squad cars at his house inside a couple of minutes. It's kind of fun to watch. A great big support system, augmented by radios, sirens, and badges.

Once, my elderly parents were two hours late to a family gathering. They never knew that there was eventually an APB out for them. They just showed up, uncharacteristically late, with pie for the potluck. Smiles and nods all around from the cousins.

:spy:

Edited by notinKansasanymore

Hey Tom and Tonto -

if-n ya'll get together in foat wuth I wanna be there too

please - pretty please

I don't see why not... we could all wear our GSC T shirts!

Do you know whatever happened to the Bank One Tower? It was one of the buildings that was so badly damaged during the tornado: I've got some great pictures of it. They hadn't thought it could be saved, but I had heard that someone bought it and they were going to try to fix it up for condo's. I left Ft. Worth in 2001, so I don't know the latest.

They are "condo-izing" it... I think it's nearing completion but am not sure... I know they're doing a lot with it...

Fellowshipper! I was going to come ask you if you were anywhere near the cyclone... glad that you're not... but feel for the folks whose crops got wiped out... saw some pics of it on the news...

A Cyclone is just the name for a Hurricane in the Pacific right? Or are they more powerful? Do they spin in the opposite direction since they're "down there"?

Here's a sto-ry, to keep the young peeple awake.

Uncle Leo is a sweet, barrel-shaped elderly gentleman with bad knees, a strong work ethic, and a heart of gold. It broke his heart when one of his nephews kept having babies with a crack hoe, and wouldn't raise them properly. The state wouldn't intervene, so Uncle Leo and his similarly elderly wife "kidnapped" the baby of the bunch, who had severe developmental delays due to never being picked up or held, and due, as mentioned previously, to being a crack baby. (One of the other elderly aunts moved in to raise the other two children. A fourth was taken by the state, from the crack hoe, at delivery.)

Long story short (too late): the baby is now two and a half, happy, and developmentally caught up. Loves Uncle Leo, since he's the only daddy she's ever known, and since he is always happiest when he's reading to or playing with a child.

Leo was having such trouble with his knees that he needed a special chair that raises, in order to be able to get up from a seated position.

The day before yesterday, Leo had a heart attack while seated in his chair. He dropped the remote for the chair, and couldn't reach down to pick it up. Couldn't use his lungs to call for help. Couldn't get out of the chair.

The baby, who is always hanging out with Leo because she loves him so much, picked up the remote and handed it to him. He was able to get up enough to reach the phone to call for help.

He survived quadruple bypass later that day.

He's doing fine, but is still in guarded condition. He's at least been given the chance to put his affairs in order, and at best, will live several more years.

Here's to the universal law of "What goes around, comes around."

A round for the house, on me: in honor of Uncle Leo. And in thankfulness for that sweet baby.

He gave her a chance at a decent life; she gave him a chance to live the rest of his.

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

Edited by notinKansasanymore

Nika, I bet you remember that early morning and the back slapping ... LOL

His picture there looks almost exactly like I remember him.

georgespeaking.jpg

"there were short boxes ... tall boxes ... and GREAT BIG BOXES"

From the little direct interaction I vaguely remember, he strikes me as a kinda rigid but nice guy, that tried too hard to fit into the way leader role. But it looks like he's still trying to lead for profit. Well, he had at least a few positive testimonials, maybe that way training done him some good.

Man, we had 10 degrees Monday morning, with about 6 inches of snow the day before. Made me forget about my tomato seedlings.

yeah... I used to look at him sometimes when LCM was on the mike... and sometimes the look on his face was saying "what the F are you doing/saying?" ...but then again he was a brainwashed as the rest of us...

I guess that Darlene lives around here as well (at least according to publicdata)... who else is our age, 5'10" and 135#???

Well, my sister, for one . . . maybe 5'11" or six feet, but the same weight. Not surprising, though, because she's a triathlete. She's the fittest 48-year-old in my universe, that's for sure.

Our garden was wet from rain when we had to cover it for the cold. It looks like a head of lettuce that's gotten too cold in the refrigerator: all glossy and translucent, and the green is too deep.

Dang.

I suppose we'll be hearing from Heaven in another way. Such as the nursery where they sell 1' high plants that haven't become brocollicicles.

Brocollicicles. Maybe that's a new word.

We also have some very nice collardgreencicles, cabbagecicles, and onioncicles.

:P