GreaseSpot Cafe

9th Corps

notinKansasanymore

Rained quite a bit of the day, today, here.

Gonna rain most of the day tomorrow.

It's been cool and shady, and it sounds soft when you walk around outside. The outside cats are hanging around the mudroom all day, just sleeping it off, and waiting until the tall grasses at the edges of the yard are dry again; it's where they like to chase bugs.

Even the bugs are under umbrellas today.

The tomato plants are starting to get lots of blossoms. We can hardly wait for homegrown tomatoes. The mulberry trees have covered the ground with sweet little purple dyebombs, and there are about a billion green blackberries on the bushes. They'll be ripe in a couple of weeks, but it takes a brave soul to go in after them; our blackberry bushes have thorns the size of schoolbusses, and they can sense you coming.

By the way, I heard a good poem on the radio the other day. Garrison Keillor does a short thing called "Writer's Almanac" on NPR, and about three weeks ago, on a Thursday, he read this one; maybe you'll like it.

Poem: "Wedding Poem, for Schele and Phil," by Bill Holm.

Wedding Poem For Schele and Phil

A marriage is risky business these days

Says some old and prudent voice inside.

We don't need twenty children anymore

To keep the family line alive,

Or gather up the hay before the rain.

No law demands respectability.

Love can arrive without certificate or cash.

History and experience both make clear

That men and women do not hear

The music of the world in the same key,

Rather rolling dissonances doomed to clash.

So what is left to justify a marriage?

Maybe only the hunch that half the world

Will ever be present in any room

With just a single pair of eyes to see it.

Whatever is invisible to one

Is to the other an enormous golden lion

Calm and sleeping in the easy chair.

After many years, if things go right

Both lion and emptiness are always there;

The one never true without the other.

But the dark secret of the ones long married,

A pleasure never mentioned to the young,

Is the sweet heat made from two bodies in a bed

Curled together on a winter night,

The smell of the other always in the quilt,

The hand set quietly on the other's flank

That carries news from another world

Light-years away from the one inside

That you always thought you inhabited alone.

The heat in that hand could melt a stone.

quote:
Originally posted by simonzelotes:

Oops....I thought cuss words were bleeped out....And I don't know how to edit....

Wow, niKa that's some hot, or at least steamy, prose... for a cool day (when the kids are away, and your honey is near).

And simon, to edit: if you are properly logged in (accepting cookies), click on the icon with the pencil eraser on the folder (lower right, next to the posted time and date). That image represents a request to edit.

I think, a good thing. I liked the way that he talked about how men and women see the world in completely different ways; at first, he saw this as a liability, but in the end, it was almost a necessity.

I like how this poem makes two or three transitions like that.

Dan Keyes is still the king of poetry, though:

Quoth the firkin, "give me more."

Wish I had the text of that one.

Too hot to fish

too hot for golf

and too cold to go home ...

Whether it be right in the sight of God to quit the LoShantas, judge ye.

Howz about Malacosita Malts??

We need to lift the lift list again, to bring our companion in trouble, err, travel, Bill the fast buck Loshantafury, to this our 9th corps party.

And did Dana King ever slow dance with Donna Ozarkiu (sp)??? Knee high to a grasshopper or twighopper.

Rev Ex, please invite mother to these our treads. She could add new light to our loshantathread ...

BrotherSimon, you take such good care of me.

I was up late to work my work, as it is the work of my hands. Now, I am up early, because I have cuuuuute little kids.

I am now only on my second cup of coffee, ohShanta.

It is still raining, and I'd like it to stop, so that I can vacuum out the van. LoShanta Kirbyshanta.

My brother e-mailed me last night; he's gone back to the NRA shooting contests. He's been back and forth living and working in two states this past year, and his scores have suffered; he is only the second-place conventional pistol shooter this year. Bummer.

He once awoke to find his apartment on fire. He lived on the second floor, and access to the stairs was blocked. He jumped out of the second-story window. What did he grab, you ask? His pants? No, not my big brother. He had his Bible in one hand, and his rifle in the other.

Later, standing there in his underwear as the firemen put out the house, and all of the neighbors gathered around, I don't think that he had a single regret.

That's one of my favorite how-do-you-know-when-somebody-is-from-Texas stories.

Excuse me; I have to go and nod off while pretending to be absorbed in Journey to Ernie, on Sesame Street.

Love, niKa

God,guns,guts,and Nika's brother made America bah-golly....

Geez,Tuttle's back and the croc hasn't even croaked yet...

Where's fellowfisher? Is he still on that boat on Lake Titicaca?.....

Anybody care to share a LEAD experience,..or a lightbearers experience,or a corps tuition miracle,or a Christian etiquette deliverence story,or a letter they want to read from one of their spiritual partners,or....are there any other announcements?....

Well,I don't know if I'd call this deliverence,but once we were having a study period,and I was hungry,bored,and supposed to be studying something Biblical...So for grins I read the Christian etiquette booklet....That evening we had a surprise Christian etiquette test and I was the only person out of the entire in-residence corps to ace the test....Now was that walking by the spirit,or what?....I got a free ice cream sundae from the snackshop for my effort.....

Yeah,it has been quiet around here....Hey,I've noticed more and more cuss words on g'spot...I thought they were automatically screened out.....Ok,for our learning I'm going to try some bad words here to see what I have to screen myself,and what's automatically screened out.....

Let's see,there's George Carlin's "****,....,****,****,cocksuck,....,and tits....

****,dangting,dangter,dangted,shat,dangtim wood,Pedangta text,Lipdangz,the dangs,take a ****,give a ****,danghouse....

****,....,....her ....,******,....,....off...

Cummerbund,magna cum laude,summa cum loaded,cum in your pants......

Tits,teats,titties,titmouse,titwillow,Lake Titicaca,peTITion...

Do you say his infected finger had pus like fluid or ***** fluid on it? Octopussy,*****-cat,pussywillow,*****-whipped....

Country,contempt,Mike Hunt,heretiC UNTil the end,B.L.T.C.U.N.T.(bacon,lettuce,tomato,cut-up,not toasted)....

***,*******,wipeass,why pass?,dumbass,dumb ***,dum bass,Assn.,harass,her ***.....

Dick Cheney,Dick Sargent,Dick York,Dick Gozzinia,dick goes in ya....

Jackoff,jagoff,jerkoff,whackoff,Jack Mehoff...

Ok,post now and see what happens....

Simoneon, you bring a spring to mah step, and a smile to mah soul.

Didn't Ken Burns do a teaching on Simon, the silver tongued orator??

I was real blessed one time (and one time only) before one glorious corps night, standing outside top-floor Wierville, beads of perspiration welling up on my upper lip area because of the practical dress code in late, balmy summer, when Father told me I had better have one last smoke before entering the holey of holies. As I metaphysically searched my paw-keets for a Kool shorty, adrenalin spurted through mah veins as I realized I had none, no, not one. I wasn't starving to death for a butt, I just wanted a snack, like you or I might be hungry for a pack of gum. Well, who do you think was there, walking right on by the spirit, to help me in mah infirmity?? It was my brother in the Vierville, Simoneon, motioning me to gaze yonder at the vast stock of nicotine-manna left for me and him in the butt can a mere 3 feet from the windows of heaven. Talk about pouring me out a blessing that there shall not be room enough to receive it!!!

To this day (to-yone) I see snot to give thanks.

If I "learnt" anything in the corps, it is that if you're with the right gal, she will send you to the seventh heaven. And if you're not listening, you'll be hearin' from heaven in another (allos - of a different kind) way ...

And, I am not lost, seeing it is but the 3rd hour of prayer, but am gathered together with the others (heteros - difference in genus) in the upper floor Vierville room.

Art thou the uncomely part of the one body??