GreaseSpot Cafe

Moving to California

Doze

My wife and I are moving to California and consolidating our business into an existing business in El Monte. My wife is a native Californian and looking forward to being back close to her sons in Redlands. We are selling our house and looking for housing there. I have found a like minded company that shares by vision and passion for our very ultra high end products. We will be moving in the next couple of months and have many loose ends to tie up. Thanks in advance for your very effectual prayers.

NK native,

Thanks...You are on my prayer list too.

Good timing on the move to California...just before the state goes bankrupt. With the price of real estate I will probably living in the far fringe of greater LA...somewhere near Blythe...then I can spend all my money on gas and all my time in freeway gridlock...but at least I'll be unthawed.

Doze -- Moving from Indiana to California? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

YOU DO NEED PRAYER icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_wink.gif;)--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_wink.gif;)--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Seriously -- Good luck, will definitely keep you two "up" there in prayer for a smooth transition, and that all goes better than you hoped for. And that once you get there, it is all you hoped for.

(I would rather pray for you, than help load the U-haul) Keep us informed. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Edited by Guest

Hey dmiller,

Insane or what huh? I have already done the U-Haul thing between here and there...I have a funny U-Haul story though. I was driving the largest one (24 ft. I think?) with my wife's black lab laying on the seat next to me...somewhere in New Mexico coming down a mountain the dog decides to readjust and hits the stick where you put the truck in drive and puts the truck into neutral...well when you put the truck in neutral the truck automatically turns the engine off with no power steering...I 'm barrelling down the mountain with no power or power steering...after near heart failure for what seemed like a minute I got the thing restarted and barely averted taking the sucker over the guard rail and over a cliff. I vowed I would never do it again...well so much for vows.

I will miss Indiana, but business and my daughter will bring me back pretty often.

Socks,

Actually, the company where I will be working is in South El Monte. No offense to all El Monteans, but I won't live there. I would much rather be in NoCal where you are. You gotta go where the green (as in money) is. We are hoping to live east of there--Ontario to Redlands off the 10 freeway. It's only an hour at 5 AM.

Sweet! Sounds good. What kind of business are you in, if you don't mind me asking? If you've mentioned it and I missed it, apologies. Don't know much about any of the area, but sounds like it's a good opportunity for you.

Norcal's a nice place, but it's getting more and more expensive to live here. We've got things locked down expense wise as much as we can but man, the real estate has sky rocketed over the last 10 -15 years. Guess it's that way everywhere though.

In line, in line, it's all in a line. My ducks are all in a row.

They do not change, they do not move. They have nowhere to go.

James Taylor

Edited by Guest

I am in the bedding biz. I will be joining forces with a company that is one the largest manufacturer of organic cotton and wool bedding products in the US. We will be producing ultra high end English style mattresses we sell to upscale shops and designers around the US. We currently have customers in West LA and Newport Beach in California, so it makes sense to do it there. The company sells it's products under the Natural Bedroom name to a very "green market". Their best market is Northern Cal. We also are negotiating with a national company to sell our combined products through their stores and catalogue. My new partner (NBW) is one of the hardest working, straightforward and honest individuals I have ever met who shares the same vision and passion as I do regarding this venture. He is a guy who started this out of his garage 20 years ago and has had great success exploiting this niche of the business.

AWEsome! You're going to do well. I can see that being a good seller on the west coast.

We looked at some bedding at one point last year that seems like it was that label. Niiiiiice sheets. Sounds like you've got a match made in hay-ven.

In line, in line, it's all in a line. My ducks are all in a row.

They do not change, they do not move. They have nowhere to go.

James Taylor

Edited by Guest

Thanks guys!

Socks, Something of interest to you...The Natural Bedroom's wool comes from ranches in Sonoma County (there is more than just vineyards in Sonoma) under the Pure Grow Wool trademark in a program that encourages sustainable environmentally friendly ranching techniques. This program promotes developing healthy sheep herds without the use of chemicals or drugs. No overgrazing with herds that are too large to environmentally sustain the land. Responsible ranching techniques is the key. Similar to organic farming techniques in the food industry. Your area is leading the nation for "certified organic" types of products. This movement is now becoming more mainstream, so I think there is a very bright future for this type of product. The problem is it is very expensive to do...therefore the products are pricey. As we get more critical mass, we can lower the costs. For now we rely on consumers who are willing to pay more to support these types of responsible farming and ranching techniques.

Another great product from the Bay area in my industry is a company by the name of McRoskey Airflex. These folks are great friends of mine who have been very successful making products the old fashioned way. For lack of a better word, they have developed a real "cult following".

Severe storm damage.

With all the news on TV lately about the sub zero weather and snow that the east coast and upstate NY areas are experiencing, we shouldn't forget that Southern California has its share of devastating weather, also.

I've attached a photo illustrating the damage caused to a home from a west coast storm that passed through the Los Angeles area yesterday.

It really makes you cherish what you have, and reminds us not to take life for granted!!!

Warning: The attached picture is quite graphic and may not be suitable for sensitive viewers.

.icon_smile.gif:)-->," God

Kit,

Looks like I'm going to have to invest in plastic outdoor furniture! As soon as my current stuff thaws out...I guess I will have to sell it...actually it't 70 degrees here in Indy today...freaky! thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I know you'll love CA.

I'm on the central coast much of the year and come to think of it ~ I think I've seen those sheep on a northern drive-about (;

Californians like to take care of all creatures, as well as this precious green earth...as you'll see for yourself once you settle in.

Your company sounds great!

So conscious!

I hope your dreams materialize here ~

Arrive safe and sound.

Ginger

• 2 weeks later...

Doze, welcome to sunny calif. You might look around Covina,West Covina, Azusa, I live in covina and am only about a ten minute drive to El Monte, but don't live in El Monte its full of gangs, not a nice city. But covina is east of El Monte, and is a small town CA. standards 42,000. Also farther east is Pomona, Clairmont, Montclair, ontario, chino, uplands is beautiful and rent is very reasonable there. There is some wondeful exies there that we fellowship with. Also in Redlands Rev. David Bergey has a wonderfull fellowship not TWI. Dave and Mary are real good people, they used to be our branch coord. wat back when. I ya want I can give you his e-mail addy and he can tell you some prices. Go to my PT's and let me know ok? I think you will be very happy here. Love to you and yours, Dovey PS. my e-mail addy is in my profile if ya want ta write to me. I've lived in the same house for 34 years and its a very safe neighborhood with a school right in the middle of our neighborhood, high school across the street. Good bus transportation too.

Edited by wyteduv58

• 4 weeks later...