GreaseSpot Cafe

Parallel Dispensationalism

A new poster, Refiner, didn't want to bore us with the details of "Parallel Dispensationalism" over in the About The Way forum.

So I'm inviting him to bore us here icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
The JWitlesses have predicted Armaggedoin innumerable times.

1874, 1878, 1881, 1914, 1918, 1921, 1925 and 1975.

We are still here.

Their datesetting mechanism revolves around a thing called "Parallel dispensationalism" and moves in 3.5, 7 , 40 and 70 year cycles.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Raf. Its a complicated matter of course.

However, the Jehovahs Witnesses were founded by Charles Taze Russell, as you would well know.

Russell wrote a series of books, called the "Scripture Studies" (as well as publishing the Watchtower magazine).

In Scripture Studies volume 2 (Henceforth referred to as "SS")and the Watchtower magazine in the late 18th century, Russell outlined what were called the "Parallels". These basically amounted to equal periods of time (from memory, 1830 year periods) From the birth of Jacob until Christs sacrifice 1830 years. And from The time of Christ a "parallel" period of (from memory) 1830 years until 1914.

Follow?

Now of course, in the Jewish end times circa first century, there were numerous significant events:

The birth of Christ in year 0

His baptism 30 years later.(29CE)

His death 3.5 years later, (year 33)

Pentecost 3.5 years later (Year 36)

And the destruction of Jerusalem (Year 70CE)

This generates time scales of 3.5 ,7, 30,40, and 70 years.

Or Years 0. 29. 33. 36. and 70

Witness date setting falls within those alloted time periods.

If you start in the year 1844 (the year of the Adventist expectation) as year "0"

count forward 30 years brings you to 1874.

Their first expectation.

Plus 3.5 (Year 33CE)years brings you to 1878CE.

Their second expectation.

Plus 3.5 years (Year 36CE) brings you to 1881CE.

Third expectation.

Then the equivalent of 70CE is 1914.

The date they are still fixed upon now.

Perhaps that is enough in this post.

I await your response.

Sorry Raf.

That should be birth of Isaac.

Not Jacob.

Of course, the birth of Isaac commenced the time span of the patriachal dispensation, running an exact number of years.

The Birth of Jesus commenced the Christian dispensation which was to run an exactly equal number of years.

Go easy on any errors bro. Im posting purely from memory here. icon_eek.gif

Refiner- Hi and welcome, I have read and posted in your topic.

I am curious did the numbering system also work back from the birth of Issac to the original creation? Why did they consider The birth of Issac to apparently be pivotal?

Also to share some contrasts with you on TWI doctrine.

Jesus Christ is supposedly actually born on tishiri(Spelling?) 1 3BCE (Sept 11,3 BC) This is based on a series of planetary conjunctions that occurred at that time and a verse in revelation that describes a full moon in Virgo which was the event lunar event that identified that day on the jewish calender,I think.

Also if I remember TWI teaches that Christ began his ministry at age 30, It lasted only one year, and pentcost occured forty days later.

Also an English miminster (E.W. Bullinger) wrote a book on the significance of numbers in scripture that was popularized by TWI leadership within the ministry.

Here you go Raf:

Link Provided:

http://www.heraldmag.org/olb/

SS Volume 2. "The Times is at hand".

Chapter "Parallel Dispensations"

"BOTH THE HOUSES OF ISRAEL"

--Time Parallels--

B.C. 1813

JEWISH FAVOR, WAITING FOR THE KINGDOM

1845 + 3 1/2 years

PERIOD OF THE NATIONAL EXISTENCE OF THE

CHILDREN OF JACOB, SURNAMED ISRAEL,

DATING FROM THE DEATH OF

THE PATRIARCH JACOB

70th week

A.D. 29 The King came in A.D. 33 A.D. 36

JEWISH HARVEST

3 1/2 + 3 1/2 + 33 = 40 YEARS

Israel Falls

---------

Days

of

Vengeance

---------

Luke 21:22

---------

A Time of

Trouble

and

Final

Overthrow

A.D. 70

--------------------------------------------

A.D. 33

CHRISTIAN FAVOR, WAITING FOR THE KINGDOM

During Jewish "Double" -- 1845 + 3 1/2 years

PERIOD OF CHRISTIAN FAVOR AND HIGH CALLING

TO BELIEVERS, DATING FROM MESSIAH'S

DEATH TO THE REJECTION AND

FALL OF BABYLON

A.D. 1874 The King came in A.D. 1878 A.D. 1881

CHRISTIAN HARVEST

3 1/2 + 3 1/2 + 33 = 40 YEARS

Babylon Falls

---------

Days

of

Vengeance

---------

Dan. 12:1

---------

"A Time of

Trouble such

as was not

since there was

a Nation"

A.D. 1915

icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

quote:

Ckeer -- yes twi taught that JC's ministry was for a one year period only. I tend to agree with that line of thought still. If I remember right, His earthly ministry started just before a Passover, and ended at Passover.

Will have to double check on that to be sure.

Isn't there still disagreement about the length of Jesus' ministry?

quote:
Of course, the birth of Isaac commenced the time span of the patriachal dispensation
of course? Why?
quote:

Pentecost 3.5 years later (Year 36)

Where do you get THAT from?

Resurrection = death + 3 days

Ascension = resurrection + 40 days

Pentecost = ascension + 10 days

Refiner,

Welcome to GS. We seldom have anyone here that is not ex-Way. It's actually kind of nice though. Comming from JW, you may have quite a bit in common with many of us. I read the other thread. Amazing response - 73 posts in just a few hours.

Anyway, as far as the timelines go. I heard or read somewhere a long time ago, that these times and dates were caclulated by using measurements from one of the Egyptian pyramids. Scripture was then interpreted and forced to fit within these precalculated dates.

Is this correct or close to correct?

Thanks for the posts, Refiner.

I always read that the JW's found the date of the carrying away to Babylon (607 BCE) quite significant, especially in calculating the 1914 date. Someone pointed out since then that the carrying away did not take place in 607 but in 587, 20 years later, which means the 1914 would have to be adjusted to 1934. This would devastate the entire JW theology, since it's their contention that Jesus was enthroned in 1914 and chose the Watchtower Society as his one true religion in 1918. See, if he wasn't enthroned until 1914, then he did not yet have the authority to choose the true religion, which would mean...

Shudder, they LIED about 1918!

Oakspear.

You are correct, I have posted something that is erroneous.

Many apologies, I didnt check sources before posting.

Firstly, the time parallel is not 1830 years as I claimed, but it is 1845 years, from Jacobs death, to the Jews rejection of Christ.

Apologies, I was posting from memory.

Looking thru Russells Volume 2, I now see that the year 29 CE corresponds to Jesus baptism and was paralleled to the year 1874 CE When Jesus purportedly returned invisibly.

The year 33CE paralleled to the year 1878 when, allegedly, the ressurection of the dead of the 144,000 to heavenly life took place.As also Christ himself was resurrected that year.

The year 36CE is paralleled to the year 1881. Was 36CE the year of the first Gentile conversion?

I think I am in error claiming 36CE was the outpouring of spirit at pentecost.

The year 1914CE certainly corresponds to 70CE, the destruction of Jerusalem.

The church certainly expected to be raptured on all those dates.

It appears from what I can see in Volume 2 that the 1925CE expectation was based on a completely different reasoning than the parallels.

It was based on the "Jubilee cycles" arguement that there had been 70 x 50 year jubilee cycles which would end in 1925CE.

The Witness 1975CE expectation was based upon the claim that 6000 years would have expired since Adams creation, and, the 1000 year "millenium" needing to fit into a 7000 year creative day, Armaggedon must certainly occur before that year.

Goey.

Indeed there is a section in Volume 3 of Russells SS, that uses measurements of chambers and corridors from the pyramid of Cheops to demonstrate that the 1874/1878/1914 dates are correct and were predicted by the pyramid builders.

But I had better refrain from commenting in any degree on such until I have reexamined the literature and made certain my facts are right.

icon_wink.gif;)-->

Raf.

That about the 607 BC date is a key belief now.

They believe that The "Times of the Gentiles" commenced in 607 BC and 7 "times", each 360 years long, totaling 2520 years then passed until 1914.

This "proof" superceeded previously held chronology "proofs" that were published under Russell, all of which were abandoned in approx 1927 AD.

The "times of the gentiles" arguement was one originally used by William Miller to prove his 1844 AD date.

I've never gotten to ask anyone this one, and I didn't know which organization

pushed this idea until now. So, I'm curious what their answer was/is.

What unit of measurement did they use to calculate the pyramids-their own, or

the one in effect in Egypt at the time the pyramids were built?

If the old one, how do they know they have the correct scale and units?

If their own, why the HECK would the Egyptians use a scale nonexistent at the

time they built them?

Did they ever answer that one?

For those interested in matters pertaining to Pyramids...

Pertaining to former beliefs of the Jehovahs Witnesses regarding the pyramid of Cheops.

Russell, in Volume 3 of Scripture Studies, chapter 10 says:

Quote:

“The Great Pyramid, however, proves to be a storehouse of important truth--scientific, historic and prophetic--and its testimony is found to be in perfect accord with the Bible, .. expressing the prominent features of its truths in beautiful and fitting symbols. It is by no means an addition to the written revelation: that revelation is complete and perfect, and needs no addition. But it is a strong corroborative witness to God's plan; and few students can carefully examine it,… without feeling impressed that its construction was planned and directed by the same divine wisdom, and that it is the pillar of witness referred to by the prophet”...

So certainly the great pyramid was considered a storehouse of divine truth.

Under the heading “Its Scientific lessons”, Russell says:

Quote:

“It is now ascertained that the sun also is in motion, carrying with it its splendid retinue of comets, planets, its satellites and theirs, around some other and vastly mightier center. Astronomers are not yet fully agreed as to what or where that center is. Some, however, believe that they have found the direction of it to be the Pleiades, and particularly Alcyone, the central one of the renowned Pleiadic stars… Alcyone, then, as far as science has been able to perceive, would seem to be 'the midnight throne' in which the whole system of gravitation has its central seat, and from which the Almighty governs his universe.”....

Pertaining to passage measurements, Russell writes:

Quote:

“Call to mind that the Scriptures showed us that the full end of Gentile power in the world, and of the time of trouble which brings its overthrow, will follow the end of A.D. 1914, and that some time near that date the last members of the Church of Christ will have been "changed,".

Remember, too, that the Scriptures proved to us in various ways--by the Jubilee Cycles, the 1335 days of Daniel, the Parallel Dispensations, etc.--that the "harvest" or end of this age was due to begin in October, 1874, and that .. seven years later--in October, 1881--the "high calling" ceased, … Then look at the manner in which the stone "Witness" testifies to those same dates and illustrates the very same lessons. Thus:

The floor-line of the "Grand Gallery," from the north to the south wall, has been twice very carefully measured in recent years, and three distinct sets of measures have been obtained…...

Prof. Smyth found the first of these measures (a) to be 1874 Pyramid inches, the second (b), 1881 Pyramid inches, and the third ©, 1910 Pyramid inches; while Mr. Flinders Petrie reports these measures eight-tenths of [C363] an inch longer. A reasonable estimate, therefore, and undoubtedly very nearly a correct one, would be to call these figures (a) 1875, (b) 1882 and © 1911 Pyramid inches.”...

So the great pyramids ‘passage measurements’ almost exactly corresponded to the Conclusions that Russell reached regarding Chronology, and corroborated his dates.

quote:
See, if he wasn't enthroned until 1914, then he did not yet have the authority to choose the true religion, which would mean...

Shudder, they LIED about 1918!

Raf, I think that lying is ok and even encouraged in some groups (cults) -- if it protects the group's facade of credibility.

I know I'm an outsider looking in, buuuuuuuut.

Why all the mathematics, etc., in finding out about God? Granted, I'm no Einstein but would probably be able to figure this stuff out. However, if all God wants is for us to know and love Him/Her/It, then why make it so damn complicated? Is it just to keep us busy until it's time to shuffle off this mortal coil?

Could it be, it's not the deity, but his supposed spokespeople? This way, they remain in control of the doctrine, and by extension, the money.

Just a few random thoughts.

Houseisa:

JWs dont celebrate Christmas, nor Birthdays, nor anything.

Its a terribly dull religion and frankly I wouldnt know when they think Jesus was born, though its certainly not December 25.

The only ritual celebration permitted by the church is that of the memorial of the last supper, at which, once a year in April, a plate of biscuit and a glass of wine is passed about, and, if exceedingly privilaged, you might get to witness 1 withered, 95 year old fossil gum at a biscuit and dribble wine down his bib.

Permission to enter the ranks of the "144,000" closed in 1935.

So theyre all getting on a bit now icon_eek.gif

How did that go, Raf?

"Every year, they gather together to refuse the Lord's Supper."

Something like that....

Manof1000Names,

The calculations are to make it look like you know something special

and secret, that you have a shortcut to the Almighty, that you're on

God's Speed-dial list. It works best if nobody can understand what

you're saying. vpw did much the same by restricting access to his

materials so no one could pay attention to that man behind the curtain.

lcm's entire wap class was an exercise in this.

That was it.

"Every year they gather together to refuse the Lord's Supper."

You see, only the 144,000 are entitled to actually eat the saltine and drink the grape juice. The rest just watch them.

Problem: the overwhelming majority of JW's are not members of the 144,000. In fact, they're relatively hard to find. Most congregations do not have a member of the 144,000. So basically everyone got together to not eat and not drink in remembrance of...

well, not him.

Not much time to post right now. More later during the week to come.

There was an interest in prophecy in England in the early 1800s. Part of it crystalized to become the Plymouth Brethren movement, about 1835-1850. Darby rose to leadership and began promulgating what we generally recognize as dispensationalism.

Similar, but not directly related events were occurring in the U.S. In the late 1820s Miller calculated the date of Christ's return as 1843, and began preaching it. By the time 1843 arrived, a movement had formed. When the set time in 1843 passed, and Christ had not returned, Miller recalculated the date, and figured he was off by a year. He set the new date for 1844. Christ's failure to adhere to Miller's prediction for 1844 is called the Great Disappointment, and took most of the steam out of the adventist (with a small "a") movement.

The Seventh Day Adventists came out of the residue of the Great Disappointment.

Later in the 1800s, Russell picked up where Miller left off. I defer to Refiner's expertise regarding developments along this line.

Darby made several lecture tours of the U.S. in the mid-1800s, but dispensationalism didn't begin to take off in the States until Scofield discovered he could copyright the Bible if he included his own notes. The influence of his Reference Bible spread dispensationalism far afield, and continues to do so as anyone who has ever watched "Through the Bible with Les Feldick" can attest.

Darby/Scofield dispensationalism became standard to fundamentalism in the U.S. when dispensationalists hi-jacked the speakers committees for the fundamentalist conferences early in the 1900s.

Larkin has a page on the Great Pyramid and the dispensations. It's interesting to discover some cross-pollination between the Miller/Russell and the Darby/Scofield forms of dispensationalism. I'll dig out my copy of Larkin and report back sometime in the next few days.

By the way, I received a mailing several years ago in which Dale Sides (leader of a TWI offshoot) quoted Larkin's material about the Great Pyramid.

All for now.

Love,

Steve

Raf and WW, Its intetesting that the elite "class" is created, allegedly to act as a "servant" to its brothers, yet it invariably turns into a ruling class with absolute authority, dictating all aspects of existance to the witless sheep.

Hideous.

WordWolf says:

quote:
Manof1000Names,

The calculations are to make it look like you know something special

and secret, that you have a shortcut to the Almighty, that you're on

God's Speed-dial list. It works best if nobody can understand what

you're saying.

Ahh... Thats about it.

quote:
Every year they gather together to refuse the Lord's Supper."

Two years ago, I went to one of these "non-rememberance" services. I was amazed that no one partook. I was tempted to, but the lady I was with was dis-fellowshipped, and I figured I would just get her into more trouble if I ate and drank. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->