GreaseSpot Cafe

What is Universal Unitarian?

This isn't going to be anywhere near a complete answer! The differences among the different denominations are sometimes large and sometimes subtle. Often Protestant denominations have more in common with other groups or even with Catholics than they do with churches of similar names.

Churches in the United States are often quite different than those with the same name in Europe, largely because of the tendency in the US toward congregational participation (related to democratic principles).

Churches and denominations can be differentiated by doctrine, by practice, or by the method of church government. New denominations have sprung up in response to revivals or "awakenings", or even due to societal concerns like slavery.

I'd suggest the above website, or some good thick books on church history.

Insurgent

Besides all the doctrinal differences, which some care more about than others, there are differences in liturgical style as well. They each have different "philosophies" towards worship.

But they all gather to worship. Quite a different scenario than my former (and your current) church. icon_cool.gif

The exception may be the Unitarian Universalist church. Not sure about their "worship" or lack thereof. My cousins are agnostic, yet are very involved in that particular church. They do lots of community service type things.

I have attended a service at a 'UU' church. I found it interesting to flip through their hymnal, as well. songs to a christain god, songs to Gaia, songs to Har Krishna, songs to Allah, songs to mother nature.

If you made an attempt to combine ALL religous beleifs and blend them together, into a single service.

Historically the Unitarians were a neat group, simply the beleif that there is a single deity. Whether we call that deity: Yawweh, or Allah, or Elohim.

It came from a century earlier when deists were common. (Ignoring Thomas Paine who wrote a lot and carried things in an entirely different direction) Mostly Christains, some Jews; beleiving that organized churchs were bad and controlled mens lives. They wrote a lot about their beliefs in a single Biblical Deity, and included some very devout people (though because they did not attend the 'legal' churches of the day, deists were often not recorded as being devout).