GreaseSpot Cafe

About PFAL

Well having read half the book “Power for Abundant Living” I feel that it is time I commented on what I have read so far.

Now it may well be that Mr Wierwille was entirely correct in everything he ever claimed and wrote, I Don’t know.

To establish whether he was correct one would have to take, at least, courses in the study of Biblical composition and a course in English.

As well one would have to embark upon extensive learning in the matter of Intepreting Biblical Greek texts.

And Biblical Hebrew texts.

A course in science would probably help too.

Only after one was fully conversant in these disciplines could he examine everything the good doctor claims and determine whether Dr Wierwilles conclusions are correct or fallacious.

Unfortunately among cult recruits the tendency is to accept, without independent research, that the “Man of God” is qualified to pontificate on such matters and is, in fact, the worlds foremost authority on all the above mentioned subjects.

Now, getting down to a few PFAL specifics:

The first and most immediately striking thing about the PFAL book is its extensive referral to “Formulas” that appear to be SCIENTIFIC PRINCIPLES.

The formula “Availability / Receivability / Usability” is just one example of the many formulas expounded by 'professor' Wierwille.

I haven’t seen anything quite like it this side of Marxism / Leninism.

The reader will not be fatigued by me quoting extensively all the Scientific Formulas listed, rather, the main thing that concerns me about them is whether or not they are True.

Simply because the formulas are expounded in Totalistic terms, and look very significant, does not mean that they are Gods SACRED SCIENCE.

I think their veracity would have to be established by some evidence.

Do they work? Do they produce the promised results when applied?

Those kinds of proofs are what I am talking about.

As well, many of the Sacred Science Formulas are expounded in quite CONFOUNDING LANGUAGE.

Just one example from page 77:

Quote….Things equal to the same thing are equal to each other. Therefore God Breathed Word = moved by the Holy Spirit = revelation” … End Quote.

Whether this equation is correct or not I cannot say, though it certainly looks impressive and extremely significant. There is little doubt the unlearned might find it somewhat intimidating.

Another matter that concerns me pertaining to the Scientific Principles is the evidence provided by Doctor Wierwille to confirm that they are also “Biblical principles”.

Many of the scriptures cited in support of this position appear UNRELATED to the Scientific Principle being discussed.

The “NEEDS / WANTS” PARALLEL is one such example.

The scriptures cited in support of this equation don’t even mention the term “needs / wants” nor is the word “parallel” mentioned in any of the scriptures.

This certainly would cause me to search in a Biblical concordance under the words “needs” “wants” and “Parallel” before accepting this formula as being a Biblical one.

Also of concern is that many of the scripture verses quoted to support the Sacred Mathematics are from SCATTERED TEXTS.

The Doctor may quote, for example, single verses from Timothy, Galatians and Ephesians to prove an equation.

This use of scattered text to establish the Truth of a doctrine is something that has to be treated with extreme caution by the reader. It is a very common method of presenting “proof” that Totalitarian Religious cults are very prone to employing.

Dr Wierwille indeed warns us himself against the dangers inherent in this practise of

SELECTIVE QUOTATION when he says on page 124:

Quote:… “The Word of God is Truth. When we rightly divide it we have the true Word, when we wrongly divide it we have error” End Quote

And again on page 118:

Quote:… “Anyone can take the Word of God and make it say exactly what he wants by taking it out of its context”… End Quote.

I think that noone would dispute that the use of Selective Quotation and scattered texts is DIVIDING THE WORD.

Let us hope that “error” has not resulted in the good doctors case.

Herr doctor also utters forth most extensively upon matters pertaining to the word structure of the Bible. Specifically the placements of Chapter breaks, Verses and punctuation. He also condemns those learned 'researches of old' for inserting words into the text that were not originally there so as to confirm their pre established dogmas.

One can only hope that Doctor Wierwille has not engaged himself in those practises he condemns others for.

Actually this particular subject, which the good doctor calls RIGHTLY DIVIDING appears to be one that he is very personally partial to, believing that every letter of every word in the Bible was placed specifically in just that position it occupies by God Himself, so that Wierwille, 3000 years later, could correctly interpret the profound significance of its being there.

Now he may well be “rightly dividing” in everything he says, and know for a fact where every single misplaced comma, incorrect verse division, and substituted word in the King James Bible is.

Perhaps God Himself taught the class in Biblical composition that Herr Doctor graduated from.

I myself do not profess to be the worlds foremost authority on such matters.

Peace unto you all.

icon_wink.gif;)-->

The "needs and wants parallel" clause was Wierwille's "out" for when his "Law" of believing failed to produce. The terms are never defined adequately, especially "parallel". If you're going to draw a mathematical analogy, that's probably the worst possible term. Two parallel lines never intersect at any point. He should have said "equal", or perhaps even "congruent" if he wanted to keep up the pseudo-scientific jargon, but "parallel" is meaningless in the context.

So, whenever your prayers weren't exactly answered according to Wierwille's "Law", why, your needs and wants must not have been "parallel"! Of course, there's no concrete instruction on HOW to parallelize those needs and wants, it's just required by fiat.

Cute!

While I do believe God answers prayer, I do not believe He is the cold, impersonal genie-in-a-bottle that Wierwille's "Law" compels Him to be to "saint and sinner alike". I think there are certain higher truths to which we are not privy that determine the efficacy of any given prayer.

And, no, I can't prove it any more than Wierwille could, but it's no dumber than Wierwille's "Law".

Also, Ref, you need to keep in mind that many huge portions of the piffle book were lifted from other authors. docvic's(praise be his name) books are VERY heavily plagiarized from the works of others, some of which were plagiarized themselves.

Another point - although many here call him "doctor", his doctorate is somewhat questionable, having come from a known diploma mill. So don't feel compelled to use any kind of honorific when speaking of him - veepee, VP, VPW, or docvic(praise be his name) would all be adequate substitutions.

quote:
Actually this particular subject, which the good doctor calls RIGHTLY DIVIDING appears to be one that he is very personally partial to, believing that every letter of every word in the Bible was placed specifically in just that position it occupies by God Himself, so that Wierwille, 3000 years later, could correctly interpret the profound significance of its being there.

This belongs on the Gems thread!

Very insightful observations, Refiner. I only wish I had noticed those same things when I first took the class.

The thing I STILL have not figured out, lo these many years later, is how the Vicster managed to convince me of the rightness of his doctrine, even though I couldn't follow his logic.

I remember many times going to another running of "The Class", tormented by doubts about VPW's teaching on "pistis" ("believing or faith") or the teaching about I Cor. 12, or a dozen or so other basic tenets of Wierwilleism and having no idea how he could make the distinctions that he did regarding certain words or passages. I'd sit there listening to the tapes CONSCIOUSLY FORCING MYSELF to try to understand what he was saying. And, in spite of the fact that I couldn't follow his logic, I'd still stick to my a-priori assumption that Wierwille was telling the God's honest truth and I just needed to "work" it more so that - one magical day - I too would understand.

Cheezus, how did he get me (us?) to that point to begin with? That was the real hook that got us all involved, and I still don't know what it was...

George Aar!

That very question is the reason I keep coming back to these groups.

Why do people do it??How does it precisely occur??

Before I die i hope to completely figure out the pure mechanisms involved in the conversion process.

Its a divine mystery.

Oh, I know that the church 'love bombs' recruits.But its more than that. As well, often, a mystical experience is involved for the individual.

TomS makes a striking point, all that positive reinforcement reassuring that the process works makes a powerful influence.

I hadnt considered that as vital, but I think the man is correct.

icon_eek.gif

If a) everyone is glowing enthusiastic around you about the "process"- b) you cant fathom the process and are confused = c) You must be a dummy.

(Youre not a dummy George, I speak metaphorically)

Hey George.

You asked the vital question- why does a man sit there wrestling with doctrine he cant understand, and still convince himself it must be true doctrine.

TomS gave the answer.

So you were part of the solution as well.

Good work!

I think that if you just researched her Doctors utterances on one subject, say "Faith", if you went thru the book and just culled out everything he wrote on the subject of "faith", well you would find that his doctrine of faith doesnt add up and is in contradiction with itself.

His writings on faith are mixed in with a whole load of mumbo jumbo on other subjects and so are lost in the general swill.

Of course, a book like this is not for the brand new recruit, by the time you read PFAL you are already half absorbed in the group.

George

Vpw got us to believe it through mind control and brainwashing. By getting only to read his stuff, listen to his tapes and hang out with other followers, our brains get warped into thinking only one way.

Politicians and media types do this all the time.

Beat the drum on an issue long enough and people believe it whether it is right or wrong.

George,

VPW was a "doctor" with a ThD. He knew the keys becasue God spoke to him. This was part of the hook in PFAL.

VPW convinced us that he was smarter and more spiritual than we were. How could we question a a great researcher with a ThD, that was taught by God himself?

If what VPW said didn't make sense it was becuause we were not smart enough or not spiritual enough to see it. - Or so we were lead to believe.

Refiner, Mr.Odd, Goey, et al,

I know where you're "coming from" but I think there was still something else going on.

To begin with I didn't have any respect for Mr. Wierwille. I grudgingly went along with taking "The Class" because I was smitten with the girl who "witnessed" to me (yeah, there's a unique story, eh?).

Slowly through the tedious sessions (most of which I slept through), I began to side with Wierwille. I thought the "Four Crucified" was the coolest. By the time I "spoke in tongues" I was hooked.

After that I had an investment of time, emotion, and self-interest in TWI dogma, and it was more difficult to see it for what it really was.

But how did Wierwille make the transition? That's the real key. I think def is on the right track, but then that brings up another question, HOW does one go about "brainwashing"? How is one's innate skepticism broken down?

How do you get one to abandon logic and accept bizarre doctrines without ANY proof?

I think there are techniques utilized in PFAL that we haven't really caught onto yet.

Or, maybe I'd just like to think it was more sophisticated than it really was?

What impressed me most was the basic fundamentalist principle, which I first heard in PFAL: If the Bible IS the Word of God, given by revelation, then in its original form, it must be inerrant. There can be no internal inconsistencies. I still choose to believe this. If it's not true, then anybody's opinion about anything is as good as anybody else's, and the Bible is just literature.

Of course, there are apparent inconsistencies, and so these must be explained. (To whom was a scripture addressed? What were the circumstances? Do different texts have variant readings? All these things must be considered.)

Though not a Hebrew scholar, I learned to read Greek in high school (something of value from my Roman Catholic upbringing); and in almost every case, I found VPW's analyses of New Testament Greek to be correct. (There are a couple of verses in 1 Cor. that seem wrong, but nothing that invalidates the premise of the manifestations of holy spirit being available to every Christian.)

So, unlike the other George, I don't feel that I blindly accepted dogma. I agree that VPW, shall we say, insufficiently footnoted his work; but if he plagiarized correct biblical interpretation principles, that doesn't invalidate the principles.

Refiner, draw your own conclusions about the work. Being "undersheperded" by gainsayers is no less intimidating than by believers.

George St. George

quote:
I think there are techniques utilized in PFAL that we haven't really caught onto yet.

Geo -- yep, and yep. Don't remember the exact year you were here in Duluth, but I think it was before I was selling insurance ----

(Gawd -- what a strange long trip that was! icon_eek.gif

What you just said, reminded me of our "policy" we were pushing, and how we got folks to "buy" it. We were taught to emphasize certain words, place the pen on certain phrases of the policy (which was facing the customer - we had to look at it upside down), speak with inflection in our voice at certain times, tell a "mindless" joke at an exact time, use eye contact, not use eye contact, name names of their neighbors, and to just basically prove to them (the customer), that we were "from the hood", and had their best interest at heart, so "buy what I am selling."

The whole scam (not legally, but in reality it was) was set up by W. Clement Stone, who was one of those "think and grow rich" folks. He had the entire "spiel" set up by psychiatric type folks who knew key words, key mannerism's, key reactions , optimal success "realizations" for the product, etc.

He (W. Clement Stone) and docvic had a hell-of-a-lot in common (imho) since they were both selling the public a "bill of goods" that needed better perusal, other than the spiel offered by whatever "salesman" happened by. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Docvic may have never had an accredited Phychiatrist "work over" his "spiel" to get it to sell better, but I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that he plagarized the works of these guys to gain the same end that the pros were doing in the insurance field.

Oh -- wait a minute. docvic WAS selling insurance, wasn't he? icon_eek.gif

quote:
What impressed me most was the basic fundamentalist principle, which I first heard in PFAL: If the Bible IS the Word of God, given by revelation, then in its original form, it must be inerrant. There can be no internal inconsistencies. I still choose to believe this. If it's not true, then anybody's opinion about anything is as good as anybody else's, and the Bible is just literature.

GS George -- You just nailed it!! Good job! icon_cool.gif

(plus) -- I think you just "invalidated" half of this site!! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

oh yeah... definitely brainwashing techniques involved... definitely (said in my best "Rain Man" voice)... the pattern in which it was introduced, coupled with the "undershepherding", coupled with the "motive for taking the class" (you're right George, your's was not unique), came together to make saps out of us all...

but we're smarter now... right? (can you hear The Who playing "Won't Get Fooled Again" in the background?)

Dave,

Yeah, a long strange trip indeed. Life picks up so much speed as you get older. I can hardly believe it was 25 YEARS ago I first went W.O.W.!

I don't think you were doing the insurance bit when I was there. In fact, I don't remember what you were doing then, except playing at Sir Bens (or "Sir-Something-or-other's"). But that wasn't a paying gig, was it?

Gawd, I'd love to see the North Shore again. Maybe spend a few days flyfishing on the French or the Sucker? Or, better yet, portage into one of the BWCA lakes for a weekend! Ooo, all I'd haveta do is pack up a few gallons of DEET and my flyrod. I wonder if wifey would wanna go?

Sorry for the derail.

And yes Oddone, we're MUCH smarter now. I'm sure of it. Much, much smarter. I mean, REALLY. Yes, smarter...

quote:

First, this would really only apply to the dictation theory of "theopneustos", which basically says that God gave the writers each word that they wrote or even each letter in each word. It presumes that a writer could not have misspelled a word or made a grmamatical error.

Second, it also blindly presumes that the canon of scripture given us is also inerrant - that is that people that decided what books are included or excluded in the canon of scripture from which our bible are translated were inerrant/infallible in their decision.

I think both positions are untenable. The Word of God is not the paper and ink. It is the ideas and precepts that are contained within and transmitted by the words on the pages.

Edited by Goey

Oh, and about the salemanship thingy (what I really meant to post about before I got all nostalgic about Duluth),

I remember very early in my TWI-daze hearing DocVic talking about how important it was to have professionally trained salespeople to promote PFAL. That always struck me as odd. I mean, if it was truly GOD'S WORD, why should it need a salespitch to sell it?

Just one more of those things that I "held in obeyance" waiting for the day when it would all become clear.

Well, that day has finally arrived. Not quite the way I'd envisioned it, somehow...

The canon of what we know as scripture was decided by an early catholic council so how inerrant their decisions were would require a lot of research.

The concept of theopneustos referred to accepted scripture at time of writing, not what would be accepted as scripture three centuries hence. It is difficult to imagine that the first century writers actually had the concept that their writings would be collected in one volume at some stage in the future - that Paul imagined himself writing to a larger audience than those to whom his letters were individually addressed. There is also dispute that all things were actually authored by the same person, even when it is claimed from the name that they were. Many other writings did not survive so we have no idea what they contained.

When compared with other scriptures which some accept such as the Qu'ran or the Book of Mormon which claimed to be directly dictated and inerrantly transmitted, the Bible is much more of a mish mash and mixture and so the perfection that VPW claimed was possible is much more of a myth than a reality.