GreaseSpot Cafe

so i walk in to bestbuy and say what ?

excathedra

i need another computer. most important is playing online games

(we have cable modem)

i'd like to get a flat screen to save space. are those okay for looking at games ?

i want to put this one way far away from the other one so maybe now i should get a wireless router

(i got mine from igoutout, but i didn't want to bother you again, my friend)

Ex- if you are looking for advice here are a couple of points that I have heard in the past.

LCD flat screens are nice and you can obviously use them for games but I have heard in the past that they aren't as "fast" as CRT screens. That may no longer be true and it may not matter for online gaming but I suspect it still does.

As far as wireless- I use it but remember the every wall between the computer and the router will slow down the connection. If you want your gaming computer to have the best possible connection- It should be wire connected to the router and cable modem. Your existing computer should be wireless. I use slow dsl so I don't notice a problem with my old 10mbs wireless.

The new 100mbs wireless should work fine for you even with the gaming computer wirelesly conneced from the router.

Enjoy your new toy!

Will this be Mom's computer or the boys? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I didn't sell it to you (just so people know). I helped you order one from Dell. Will do so again for you anytime. Just call. Please?

I recommend Dell over Best Buy. Although one thing I like about BB is if something goes wrong they are right there. Plus you can try before you buy.

Flat screens are more expensive and not quite as good as the big ole heavy CRT's. But they are very cool and look fine for most things.

If it is for you I would get a flat one. If it is for the guys, spring for a 21" or 19" CRT. You can get a monitor at BB and a system from Dell with no monitor if you want.

Here is what I want for Christmas by the way:

6 monitor combo

Then I would go with a large CRT if space permits. It will actually be a bit cheaper and better quality too if you get a good one.

I don't think BB sells Dells. But they have some pretty good HP boxes (which I personally do not like but they may be OK for most.) It would be fun for him to have one with a side clear window and sound activated lights inside. But I think you will have to order online or go to a computer store for that. Best Buy has Alienware but they are overpriced IMO.

Here is a site I am interested in for my next one. Look at this clear case with neons.

Acrylic Computer

Here is their home site:

Vicious PC

He'll need good graphics 128mb or more for gaming. Or you could get the All IN Wonder card and watch TV on screen too.

Sound is important. Best Buy has good computer speakers. Get 4 or 5 (for surround sound abd DVD playing) and a good sub. Logitech has one of the best. Or if no room get the famous Klipsch 2 satelites with a sub. They are the best 2.1's in the world and are not expensive.

Pentium 4, 3.0 or higher processor, I like Intel. Hard drive will be huge already but I recommend 120GB minimum size, with 8mb cache, partition it later, use some of it for storage.

Memory is important, 512 minimum. XP home is OK.

Have I bored you enough yet? Call me anytime.

myseestorEx... is there a Fry's up there?

the ones down here always have refurbed Trinitrons with the Dell name on them, 21" for $249... ooh... and I got into the MP3 thing... got a Creative 30g for $179... they're on sale at Fry's outpost.com... I've put about 200 CDs on it and still have room for about 100 more... sorry for the derail...

i don't know, tommy, i can't recall seeing a fry's

i think i'm gonna get other stuff for christmas

and then after holidays igotout will start thinking about my computer icon_wink.gif;)--> icon_wink.gif;)--> icon_wink.gif;)--> icon_wink.gif;)-->

my son loves the longhorn stuff from you !!!!

and the tampa bay lightning stuff from got&hope

he's a lucky boy i have such nice friends

I had forgotten about Fry's - Oh, yes! What a great place that is! Totally ditto with you on that one, Paw...

Exie - one other word of advise, if I may...

If your new 'puter has a bunch of rebates, etc., then make sure that you mail everything off via certified mail so that the recepiant has to sign for it. It will cost you a couple of bucks for each piece of mail that you have to send out, but you can better track what's been sent to whom. Then, you can follow up with them. MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING YOU SEND PERTAINING TO YOUR REBATE! (Recepits, forms, etc. - I mean everything!)

I recently took HP to task over $250 they still owed me from last spring. Since I had excellent documentation of my rebates and signed certified mail recepits, they couldn't argue with me about it (didn't keep 'em from tryin')!

Also - if you do shop after Christmas, consider an "open box" computer - that's one that someone bought - usually as a gift - but was returned to the store or exchanged. You count on scoring around 30-50% off the list price AND it's still under the same "unopened box" warantees.

Just some thoughts from a professional shopper.... icon_biggrin.gif:D-->