GreaseSpot Cafe

Troy

One of our local newspaper critics last paragraph in his review:

quote:
"Troy" doesn't break any new ground in cinema magic, and it's tempting to ponder what a more inventive director might have done with the material. But what Mr. Petersen accomplishes is more than good enough.
He gave it a B+ (which is pretty high for this paper).

I'm interested.

Edited by tomstrange

Tom Odd,

'and he did a great job in "A River Runs Through It"'

Uh, that was one of the few flaws (IMHO) in an otherwise GREAT flick. I wish they'd have cast somebody else. It seems like he spent the whole picture trying desperately to be Robert Redford.

(maybe it was the directing?) He LOOKED the part, just couldn't ACT it (not very well, anyway).

O.K., sorry for the digression, back to Troy...

My wife and I went to see the 10 pm showing on Saturday night.

The characters attributed things to the gods, but no gods actually appeared in the story, unlike Homer's "Iliad". But the screen writers/director still managed to keep it a story about people who were basicly decent (except perhaps for Agammenon) though flawed, doing the best they could in difficult situations, rather than painting one side good and the other side evil.

The storyline was truncated, of course. Many incidents were conflated, but it was still enjoyable.

The visuals had some archaeologically accurate motifs, just pumped up to epic proportions. The actual Troy would have struck our eyes as a podunk, one horse [pun intended :-) ] town.

There were two kinds of fight scenes; regular mass combat, and heroic combat. Both were done very well. I watched the credits to see if they used the software Peter Jackson developed for LotR. I didn't see it listed. The battle scenes were just as impressive as those from LotR, if not as fantastic. But I liked it for that. Unfortunately, IMHO, "Troy" DOES have the giant flaming hairballs every movie portrayal of ancient combat seems to find mandatory.

It was interesting watching Boromir play Odysseus and Legolas play Paris. Bloom gets to shoot some arrows, just not so many.. or so quick... or so well.

I particularly enjoyed the exchanges between Hector and Paris when Hector found out his brother had "abducted" Helen. I found Bloom's performance entertaining while Menelaus was beating the snot out of him.

I liked what they did with Briseis' character.

All for now.

Love,

Steve

I thought it was a decent movie as well, although we could have done without all the naked man scenes.

Of course, I do wonder why so many LoTR cast members were in it. There was Legolas and Boromir as main characters, but also I believe the actor who played Gimli had an uncredited cameo (one of the Greeks invading the city), as well as possibly Theoden (I thought I saw him during the reporting of Helen's dissapearance.) It seems like one other person as well but I can't remember who.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:
Originally posted by Zshot:

One reviewer that I heard from called this a "chick flick".

Is this a true statement.

The only thing that would make it considered at all a chick flick is that there are too many naked Brad Pitt scenes. Of course, in my opinion one is too many. I think there were two or three. Otherwise, it's a lot like a cross between Gladiator and LotR.