GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

It doesn't get any tighter than this does it.

Both the Yanks and Sox have the ability to either shine or fall apart. The Sox have to be happy to playing out the season at home though.

The problem with bestowing 'sainthood' on a player is that they usually have more games to play. Babe Ruth's last days as a player were a huge fall from 'godhood'. I doubt that Schilling is that near the end.

I'm still amazed That the yankees are there. They were awful for much of the season, and are still quite capable of coughing up a game.

The real disappointment is starting to look like the White Sox though. What is wrong with Chicago teams anyway?

since noone else will say it here-Let's go Yankees !

Yea im still amazed the Yankees are there--How many starting pitchers have they had this year? about a hundred? But as Johnny Jesus Damon said last night "Its God's Way" for these teams to go together til the end...

I thought the White Sox were alittle over their head most of the year but things always seem to even out in the long run

and Tom---sorry to say Gabe is gone for the year, in one of the most bizarre plays I have ever seen he tore his achilles tendon during a homerun trot(!) collapsing aroung second base. He had to be carried from the field and a pinchrunner brought in , in order for the run to score...........

just when you think you've seen everything............

What in the hell happened around here?...I can't get my old avatar back,the board is all bland and hard to read,and the Cubs have finally lost their last home game and put their hometown fans out of their misery...

What a wasted season...I've followed the Cubs for 40 years,and even the great collapse of '69 doesn't match this season for sheer misery...At least the '69 Cubs had us clicking our heals and dancing in the aisles for 3/4's of the baseball season...This year's group of stumblebums were not only consistant underachievers,they were downright embarrassing...Maybe it's the damn name or the uniform...I mean,who is going to be intimidated by a 'Cubbie'?....Can you imagine the intimidating,mustachioed,"Mad Hungarian",Al Hrabosky wearing a Cub uniform?...That would be like Dick Butkus wearing a brassiere and a hula skirt...

I don't know what it is with the Cubs...When I'd see them walking away from home plate after striking out,they'd have this look in their eyes like this elk I saw once on one of those nature shows...This elk was leading about a nice young doe,getting ready to enjoy the fulfillment of their courtship,when a bigger and badder buck stormed onto the scene,kicked this elk's a$$,then screwed his girlfriend right in front of him...All that poor elk could do is with a beaten look in his eyes,turn away,hold his head down and go back to grazing in the pasture...

Four AL teams are certainly making this season memorable...We'd only remember Atlanta this year if they DIDN'T win the division...We may remember the Padres for being the first losing team to play October baseball...The Cards are forgettable because they're nothing flashy...just a well-oiled,fine-tuned baseball machine...Who really cares about the NL wild card ,anyway?

I like the Anaheim Angels at Los Angeles because I like Arte,but they should just be called the LA Angels and go back to having halos on top of their hats...The Chisox were like an underdog football team that had built a 30 point third quarter lead...Didn't quite know what to do the rest of the game except to play not to lose...Cleveland made a hell of a run,but I think they'll be the odd team out...Not only because they'll run out of gas,but just as quickly as a team finds itself not being able to lose(no team is good enough to play at a .900 clip all the time) they'll suddenly find themselves not being able to win for unexplainable reasons...The Yanks will make it in because,well,they're the Yankees...Which means your Bosox will be there too,Mstar...

Anyway,I'm looking forward to a good post season...For me,it won't be so nerve-wracking...Hopefully,it will be good teams playing their best baseball...

With the Angels in post season there will be renewed debate on just what to call them. The LA Angels of Anaheim will not flow on national tv.

Personally I was fine with Anaheim Angels, yet I understand the move for marketing purposes. It is all about the money ultimately. If the Rams could be the LA Rams when they were in Anaheim, what's the difference.

It became a huge thorn for the Dodgers tho. They still refer to them as Anaheim on their scoreboard, and their publicity campaign this year is 'THIS is LA baseball.'

If it is, then they should be embarressed. The new Dodger czars dismantled a nice, up and coming team, and fielded a AAA team for most of the year. Yes they had injuries, every team has injuries.

Anyway, the nail biting at Fenway wil start in 2 days. At this point I remind myself that it's only a game, the players are hired mercenaries, millions in China don't care, and the outcome really has no affect on my life at all, except that it makes me feel good if my team wins, and bad for a few minutes if they lose.

Sometimes I think it's all about rubbing other people's noses in it. If your team wins , one can crow and laugh, as if THEY had anything to do about it . That's why I generally stay detached from team hoopla.

Still, the 10 year old Yankee fan does rise to the surface, and I hope they win. I can't say I'm confidant tho.

I dont get to watch AROD every day but , Big Papi Ortiz gets my vote for MVP-- again tonight for the billionth time he was a one man clutch show --In the 8th he hit the tying homerun and in the bottom of the 9th drove in the winning run in an absolutely must win....I've never seem anyone like this guy

Edited by mstar1

Papi is clutch... there's no question... but I don't think they'll ever give it to a guy who DHs much of the time...

Of course I'm watching (while the stRangers toil against the Angels) and it's a good game as hyped in the top of the 6th...

but then... didn't we all have a feeling we'd be watching this series at the beginning of the season when we saw the schedules?

a lot of teams do it with less money... pretty much everyone but the yankees and bosox... I do think it's wild that Atlanta has won so consistently for so long... when they were here during interleague, they started 7 rookies one game... and have played with a lot of rookies pretty regularly... BUT NOT THEIR PITCHERS!...

that they've done it for so long... is it a testament to their ability to 'keep it together' or the others in their division not to?

but I don't think they'll ever give it to a guy who DHs much of the time...

I dont know--I'd like to find the statistcs of how many of Ortiz's RBI's have been in game tying or go ahead situations this year---it has been a ton I know that--including yet another game tyer tonight---- The Red Sox wouldn't even be close without him, fielding or no fielding.

How many games do fielders save? It is a factor but it is hard to tell-some sabermetrician probably has a stat for it somewhere that i havent grasped quite yet---but eventually it'll all be up to the voters

But more and most importantly

Its all tied up in the East and it's a two game season

Amazing!

Edited by mstar1

can someone explain the mathematics to me--

yankees are 1 ahead with one to go and are crowned as east champions

????

If the Red Sox win tomorrow they both have equal records-- it looks tied to me

Edit: Nevermind I just read about the tie breaker

When the heck was that instituted? earlier this week several papers were talking about the possible one game playoff scenarios

Edited by mstar1

I still don't quite understand the math, but if they tell me the Yankees won, who am I to argue.

So, if the Sox lose, and the Indians win tomorrow, there's a play off on Monday. At least it's at Fenway-I can't remember when the Sox last played on the road.

It still looks like the Yankees and Bosox are fated to meet yet again this year in the playoffs. Especially if the Yankees play the Chisox, and Boston plays the Angels first. If the Yankees face the Angels first, it could be over for them, and Chicago just may pesky themselves past Boston. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Was happy to see Jeter get 200 hits again, putting him with Lou Gehrig on Yankee stats, which is pretty fast company.

I can see mvp going either way as far as Ortiz and Rodriguez, and am not losing any sleep over it.

Im not losing any sleep over any of this either although I did have few moments of skipped heartbeats and sweaty palms today....For some reason or another that I can't quite explain the Sox don't seem to have the (?) zip, chutzpah, spirit, magic or...lovability (I can't find the word) of last years squad for me , at least not yet--things could dramatically chnage i suppose in a week or so--but they haven't been looking like a championship team to me.....and although this is all incredibly dramatic it is almost with a tinge of sadness I have been watching these last few games. The next month may prove me wrong but I don't think they have it this year.

Could be Tom--- could be...

Gabe by some reports is nearly everyones favorite teammate,

anyway its the ninth inning game 162 and we are in.....would've liked to see the division but we are in....

Now the real season begins...........

Edited by mstar1

I'd like to take this time to congratulate and offer kudos to the Chisox,who not only stood tough while the whole baseball world was waiting for them to complete the biggest collapse in baseball history,but who also have a manager who's not afraid to stand up to the baseball intelligensia,and rest his starters so he could put the best possible Whitesox team on the field when the postseason starts....

The Sox went into the Jake and swept Cleveland,completely knocking them from the post-season,while Ozzie Guillen was being thrashed for cheapening the game of baseball,as if it's every AL manager's job to see to it that Boston and New York meet every year in the playoffs...

It looks like it will be the Sox against the Sox....and here's hoping the best team comes out on top...Last year I rooted for the Red ones,and enjoyed their magical run to the World Series...But this is a whole new year,...a new playoff season,and I'll be cheering on the Palehose...In spite of their great 'collapse',they won 99 games and will enjoy home field advantage for as long as they're in the playoffs...

As usual, it seems that the Angels are not given due respect. It may be because they're too far west, lived in the Dodgers shadow for so long, or they can't settle on where they're from. Don't be surprised if they're there at the end.

I'm conflicted as usual on who I'd like to see. It's genetic for me to root for the Yankees since I lived for them as a kid. Otherwise , I'd love to see the Chisox in the series, and I won't be disappointed if the Angels make it in. I'm even ok with the Bosox, except, it starting to look like the wild card team wins it all more often than not, and that kind of bothers me.

In the National League I guess I like the Cards. The Braves are still a yawner, the Padres are in a division that shouldn't even qualify, and at this writing i dont know if Houston or Phillie gets the wild card.

I think I'll root for the Pale Hose in the first round... then the Angels in the second... that's right I said "the second"... they have the pitching, hitting and fielding to dismantle the yanks...

...unless, of course, 'the ghosts of yankees past' interfere... Angels have home field right?

Houston made a great comeback...but heck, why don't they take the heat for getting themselves in that mess in the first place? didn't they do this last year as well... with their pitching...

...but methinks the Red Birds as well... the looked pretty good in Mexico City last night...

Well being slightly biased you all know what i think, but anything can happen now-- everyone is pretty closely matched...It may be a matter of who gets hot and pulls the most aspects of the game together not tomorrow but today

magic number is 11

I gotta feel bad for those Indians fans, losing 6 of their last 7 including the last 3 after Chicago had already clinched--that young team is bound to be back------hats off to Ozzie Guillen for not laying down but playing until the end

The Angels always play the Yankees tough and could very well win the series.

'Home field advantage' is not really that big a factor though, as the number of transplanted yankee fans that show up to Angel games is staggering. It's the same when Boston comes to town.

The only significant change was listening to the Angel announcers debating who they hated more now, the Yankees and their fans, or the Red Sox and their fans. By winning it all, the Sox are no longer the Cubs of the AL, and are no longer 'lovable'-not that it matters.

The American League is infinately more interesting than the National these days-quite a turnaround from the 60's and 70's. If only the dh could be scrapped, which the layers union will never let happen. The dh was implented at a time when the AL frankly sucked, and needed a shot in the arm.

If the Bosox make it to the series do they play Ortiz at first and pray nothing gets hit to him?

He's actually not as bad as people make him out to be, he did alright in interleague play and if you remember made a good throw to cut down a runner at 3rd (Jeff Suppan I think) in the 3rd game of the series last year.

I read some stat recently that puts him as an above average fielder--of course its always a little spooky when you've only taken about 30 throws all year.