GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Good article on Hammerin Hank

It says a lot about the man

Ive honestly had enough of the Bonds story I hope that someday in someway he can do something similar thats beneficial to society as a whole...

Regarding the DBacks --I wish I got to see them more out my way, they sound exciting--maybe come October

but the real Arizona news I like is that the kids from Chandler are in the LLWS again..What the heck are they feeding those kids down there???

I saw the Massachusetts kids from Walpole who are going a few weeks ago in the tournament and they are an amazing team, it should be a fun next few weeks in Williamsport

Well, they have some former major leaguers for coaches/dads... yes, it was just a couple of years ago they were in the LLWS also. Before that, it had been about 40 years since any Arizona team had gone to Williamsport.

btw, anyone here following the latest on Rick Ankiel?

I guess it was just the other day he made his return to the Cards... as a position player. He hit a HR last night and did it again this afternoon with one runner on base in the bottom of the first against Hiway's team, the Dodgers.

Correction, Ankiel has TWO HRs in today's game... so far.

I did see that he hit one the other day ( The same day Joel Piniero who the Sox just designated for assignment threw 7 shutout innings for the Cards(D'OH!) and saw that he had lead TripleA with some astounding number of HR's. I was surprised..Good for him

Last i remember he was throwing the ball over every backstop in the league---He must be quite an athlete to make that transition, sounds like a future made for TV movie...congrats to him

....was it Mike Benjamin who was coaching at Chandler? or am I thinking of someone else?

Edited by mstar1

I did see that he hit one the other day ( The same day Joel Piniero who the Sox just designated for assignment threw 7 shutout innings for the Cards(D'OH!) and saw that he had lead TripleA with some astounding number of HR's. I was surprised..Good for him

Last i remember he was throwing the ball over every backstop in the league---He must be quite an athlete to make that transition, sounds like a future made for TV movie...congrats to him

....was it Mike Benjamin who was coaching at Chandler? or am I thinking of someone else?

Yes... Mike Benjamin. I kept thinking Mark Belanger, but knew that was wrong. I had the position right, but not the age or the team(s). Might be others also.

perhaps Ankiel's wildness had to happen, or else he would have been doomed to playing only once every five days! ;)

I can't imagine it took Babe Ruth getting wild for the power that be (or, were) figured he needed to play everyday.

Ankiel threw what, 5 wild pitches in an inning once?

It was something like that, it was sort of bizarre at the time I remember

Babe was wild in a different way. I remember hearing the story where he was the starting pitcher, walked the first batter and then decked the homeplate ump!

He was thrown out of the game, and relieved by Ernie Shore, The runner Ruth walked was thrown out stealing and Shore retired the next 26 men to record a Perfect Game.

Now thats some good relief pitching!

It was something like that, it was sort of bizarre at the time I remember

Babe was wild in a different way. I remember hearing the story where he was the starting pitcher, walked the first batter and then decked the homeplate ump!

He was thrown out of the game, and relieved by Ernie Shore, The runner Ruth walked was thrown out stealing and Shore retired the next 26 men to record a Perfect Game.

Now thats some good relief pitching!

I guess so! Last year's NL Cy Young winner needed no relief tonight... extending his scoreless inning streak to something like 30 innings. Dbacks 1, Nationals 0.

Padres lost. Dodgers lost. Dbacks extend division lead. :)

Took in my annual game at Angels Stadium last night. I'd go more often if not for the nightmarish drive on the 5. A 35 minute trip becomes an hour and a half , and it's a good thing I left early enough.

Good game vs the Twins, a team I've always liked. The first 7 innings flew by in less than 2 hours, before the Angels rallied in the 8th, winning 4-3. Silva, pitching for the Twins had given up just 2 hits in 7 innings, before he was taken out. I don't understand this phobia against complete games at all. You have a guy shutting a team down, then pull him so your 'set up' man, and 'closer' can come in. I think when a pitcher is going good, don't mess with it. It usedto be that relievers were there to bail a struggling pitcher out. Now it's just part of the game to pull starters after 6 or 7 innings. The Angels were handed a gift when they took Silva out, and they jumped all over it.

Angel Stadium is a fine park, especially now that the team isn't an afterthought, and it's fan base is loyal and into it. I had amazing seats right behind home plate, thanks to the companies season tickets that I was able to glom. I nearly had my head taken off on a Vladimer Guerroro foul. Just a high fly over the backstop that landed 6 inches from my head. It's surreal to have a ball coming at you, and I didn't think it was so close. This was a major league fly-really high, and came down really fast.

All is fine with the Stadium, save for the unreal noise spewed over the loudspeakers to make sure you don't have a moments rest. My ears were ringing by the time the game started.

I did get a laugh out of the 'rally monkey'. Those antics normally leave me cold, but in this case is was fitting as the Angels did 'rally' right when they started flashing it. They shwed a clip from Lord of the Rings when the hobbits were hiding under a tree. Instead of the Nazgul, the Rally Monkey appeared instead. Well, it made ME laugh. As the Twins changed pitchers again, They showed rally monkeys singing Bohemian Rapsody, then the banner, i'f you make noise, he will come'.

I usually hate that kind of stuff, but for one night it worked.

Good times. Now back to the slumping Dodgers vs the Astros at Chavez Ravine this week.

Took in my annual game at Angels Stadium last night. I'd go more often if not for the nightmarish drive on the 5. A 35 minute trip becomes an hour and a half , and it's a good thing I left early enough.

Good game vs the Twins, a team I've always liked. The first 7 innings flew by in less than 2 hours, before the Angels rallied in the 8th, winning 4-3. Silva, pitching for the Twins had given up just 2 hits in 7 innings, before he was taken out. I don't understand this phobia against complete games at all. You have a guy shutting a team down, then pull him so your 'set up' man, and 'closer' can come in. I think when a pitcher is going good, don't mess with it. It usedto be that relievers were there to bail a struggling pitcher out. Now it's just part of the game to pull starters after 6 or 7 innings. The Angels were handed a gift when they took Silva out, and they jumped all over it.

Angel Stadium is a fine park, especially now that the team isn't an afterthought, and it's fan base is loyal and into it. I had amazing seats right behind home plate, thanks to the companies season tickets that I was able to glom. I nearly had my head taken off on a Vladimer Guerroro foul. Just a high fly over the backstop that landed 6 inches from my head. It's surreal to have a ball coming at you, and I didn't think it was so close. This was a major league fly-really high, and came down really fast.

All is fine with the Stadium, save for the unreal noise spewed over the loudspeakers to make sure you don't have a moments rest. My ears were ringing by the time the game started.

I did get a laugh out of the 'rally monkey'. Those antics normally leave me cold, but in this case is was fitting as the Angels did 'rally' right when they started flashing it. They shwed a clip from Lord of the Rings when the hobbits were hiding under a tree. Instead of the Nazgul, the Rally Monkey appeared instead. Well, it made ME laugh. As the Twins changed pitchers again, They showed rally monkeys singing Bohemian Rapsody, then the banner, i'f you make noise, he will come'.

I usually hate that kind of stuff, but for one night it worked.

Good times. Now back to the slumping Dodgers vs the Astros at Chavez Ravine this week.

Sounds like fun.... I guess the Angels' Rally Monkey has become part of the culture of the team. Beats the heck out of "the wave" (which I find absolutely repulsive).

I can relate to your view of relief pitching/pitchers. I don't believe Melvin and the Dbacks just change pitchers for the sake of maintaining some arbitrary pattern. Their primary relief guys (the ones that work innings 7-9 when the team is ahead) have done an outstanding job. And given the number of wins earned by the bullpen staff, I'd say they haven't come in prematurely in most cases.

It's always good when the starter can go longer than anticipated and still hold a lead. Webb's last two outings have been complete game shutouts.

I hope the Angels hold on to their division lead and you can get to some of their playoff games. I wouldn't mind seeing an Angels/Dbacks WS... but I won't hold my breath.

Me three on the automatic taking out of a starter,

&%^*$# Gagne just did it again today, giving up a 2 run shot to Tejada in the eighth, after Schilling worked a great game, what a waste....He has blown two games in three days wrecking great games by DiceK and Schilling... Id trade him for a bag of soggy potato chips about now or straightout DFA him

This series so far

starters: 3 runs/ 23 2/3 innings

relievers 7 runs / 2 1/3 innings

Time to get rid of Going Going Gagne

Glad you kept your head! Its deceptive,

from the stands, or on TV its all illusory and looks so simple"---I would have had that gd ball", until it comes your way... I was sitting in field boxes behind third a few years ago when a rocket came down as fast as a Tomahawk Cruise missile in overdrive...and I was a good fielder in my day....thankfully I kept all my limbs.

Edited by mstar1

Cardinals rule and Dodgers drool ....

OK, Cards are going to repeat ....

They gots Ankiel, a pitcher, on pace to hit 38 home runs and 77 ribbies in the next 50 games, how can they lose?

Spezio is going to deal with a problem

some new guys looking pretty good ...

do steroids special shakes work on pitchers? they made need help there ...

glad "we" could help you with those pesky Padres Rocky ...

Anyway ... seems there are signs of life with the Cardinals ... (I reserve the right to retract all this in a month :) )

Edited by rhino

Cardinals rule and Dodgers drool ....

OK, Cards are going to repeat ....

They gots Ankiel, a pitcher, on pace to hit 38 home runs and 77 ribbies in the next 50 games, how can they lose?

Spezio is going to deal with a problem

some new guys looking pretty good ...

do steroids special shakes work on pitchers? they made need help there ...

glad "we" could help you with those pesky Padres Dodgers Rocky ...

Anyway ... seems there are signs of life with the Cardinals ... (I reserve the right to retract all this in a month :) )

Don't you mean the Dodgers? Indeed, I'm thankful for that... though (as our good friend Hiway29 will attest) those Trolley Dodgers don't seem to be playing very well lately against anyone.

And to the degree your Cards have beaten the Padres, I'm also thankful for that. Either way, Dbacks got several games against each of their division rivals before the end of the season... lots of baseball still to be played...

And how about that Rick Ankiel!? What a story that is... no doubt the fans at the stadium get really worked up when he comes to bat!

well, I thought you had said you were rooting for the cards over the pods a few posts back ... so I was referring to that ...

yeah, Ankiel, great story ...

but the birds did seem to get rejuvinated a little ... makes them better to watch ...

Indeed, I did. I guess I had a bit of ADHD, since the Cards have been playing the Dodgers more recently.

And without a doubt the Ankiel situation would make the Cards games more exciting to watch.

Good article in The Onion this week:

1234567?pe=lnk_d&pev2=Destruction%20Of%20National%20Pastime%20Given%20Two-Minute%20Standing%20Ovation&pev1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theonion.com%2Fcontent%2Fnews%2Fdestruction_of_national_pastime%3Futm_source%3DDistributed%26utm_medium%3DEmbedded%252BHTML%26utm_campaign%3DWidgets

...SAN FRANCISCO—A sellout crowd rose to its feet and exploded into ecstatic cheers Tuesday night as Barry Bonds completed the downfall of America's most revered sport by hitting a thundering 435-foot shot into the right center field bleachers for career home run No. 756 and tainting baseball's most beloved record.

Celebrations broke out throughout AT&T Park and thousands of flashbulbs went off as Bonds took his ceremonial trip around the bases, his arms raised in a jubilant gesture of triumph as he completed his desecration of baseball. Fireworks filled the night sky to mark the utter destruction of the national pastime, a scramble for the infamous baseball broke out in the stands, and the game was interrupted for 10 minutes in the bottom of the fifth to mark the shameful occasion.

Mike Bacsik, the pitcher who made the difficult and admirable decision to pitch to Bonds as if he were a normal player, and who will forever be known as the man whose fastball was sent out of the park along with the last remnant of baseball's self-respect, could only watch. Bonds would later present Bacsik with an autographed bat....

More at the LINK

and In another related story:

1234567?pe=lnk_d&pev2=MLB%20To%20Place%20Asterisk%2C%20Pound%20Sign%2C%20Exclamation%20Point%2C%20Letter%20

SAN FRANCISCO— Commissioner Bud Selig announced Wednesday that, once the Giants slugger retires, his name in the official MLB record books will be forever accompanied by an asterisk, followed by a pound sign and exclamation point, all preceded by the letter 'F'—a string of characters that, according to Selig, "will always be associated with Barry Bonds."...

When my children's grandchildren open up their Baseball Almanac a hundred years from now, they'll see this enduring, universally understood symbol right next to Barry's name," Selig said. "And when they do, they'll immediately know that this sequence of characters—F*#!—reflects history's attitude toward not only the conditions under which he was able to hit his home runs, but also the historical implications he had on the game and its records, the relationship he had with the media and fans during his momentous chase, and just the general atmosphere of baseball in an era he will come to embody."

"These symbols say more about Barry Bonds and his contributions to this sport than any mere number ever could," Selig added....

When people think of Roger Maris, they immediately think 'asterisk,'" Selig said. "And when people of this and future generations think of Barry Bonds, they will immediately think F*#!"

Good stuff

Edited by mstar1

In more positive and pertinent news

Walpole heads to Williamsport

By Monique Walker, Globe Staff | August 12, 2007

BRISTOL, Conn. -- The first home run the Walpole American Little League team hit yesterday should have been a sign of what was to come in the New England Regional championship game.

Outfielder Michael Rando had not hit a homer this summer. Yesterday, Rando hit a fly ball with the bases loaded that fooled even the center fielder as it drifted and drifted toward the fence at the A. Bartlett Giamatti Little League Complex.

What seemed like a popup became a grand slam and gave Walpole a 6-2 lead in the first inning against Connecticut Shelton National. It was the first of six homers for Walpole in its 14-4 victory, which earned the team a berth in the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pa.

Although Walpole had scored its share of runs in the tournament, the offense had never been "anything like that," Walpole manager Brian Oberacker said.

His team cranked out 14 hits in the regional title game. Walpole hit five homers in its previous five games of the regional, but in that same span averaged eight runs a game.

Against Connecticut, Walpole needed its offense to make up for an early deficit.

Connecticut took a 2-0 lead on pitcher Nick Petrovich's two-run homer in the first inning. Walpole quickly answered when first baseman Michael LaVita's single with the bases loaded drove in two runs in the bottom of the inning. Catcher Kyle Donnelly followed with a single that re-loaded the bases for Rando.

"I just swung the bat and it happened to go over," Rando said. "I just wanted to get us a couple of runs."

The production did not stop there for Walpole. Johnny Adams and John White hit back-to-back homers in the second. Adams added a two-run homer in the fourth that was followed eventually by LaVita's solo shot. In the fifth, pitcher Joseph Guarino Jr. hit a solo homer out of the eighth spot.

"We score a lot of runs, and these kids can hit from 1 to 13," Walpole assistant coach Jared Ruggieri said. "I think today we showed everybody what we're capable of."

Connecticut manager Mark Testani said he knew Walpole was strong on offense, but "I didn't think they would hit that many home runs."

After the third inning, Guarino did not allow a run, relying on a knuckle-curve his friend's brother taught him when he was 10 to keep hitters off-balance.

"They were a very good team that we matched up well with, and they should be very proud of themselves," Walpole assistant coach Wayne Oberacker said.

Members of both teams said the overall experience was one they will never forget.

The game was played before 5,371 fans and an ESPN audience. After the teams warmed up, a crew meticulously groomed the infield dirt, at times using a broom to sweep away footprints.

Now Walpole will carry the experience another step when it leaves for Williamsport, where the Series begins Friday. Walpole takes a 19-1 postseason record into the World Series, as it faces Great Lakes in the first round of pool play Friday afternoon.

"I don't think anyone expected us to go this far," Guarino said. Added Adams: "It feels awesome."

BDD_WPLL_8.13.07_ap.jpg

In more positive and pertinent news

Walpole heads to Williamsport

By Monique Walker, Globe Staff | August 12, 2007

BRISTOL, Conn. -- The first home run the Walpole American Little League team hit yesterday should have been a sign of what was to come in the New England Regional championship game.

Outfielder Michael Rando had not hit a homer this summer. Yesterday, Rando hit a fly ball with the bases loaded that fooled even the center fielder as it drifted and drifted toward the fence at the A. Bartlett Giamatti Little League Complex.

What seemed like a popup became a grand slam and gave Walpole a 6-2 lead in the first inning against Connecticut Shelton National. It was the first of six homers for Walpole in its 14-4 victory, which earned the team a berth in the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pa.

Although Walpole had scored its share of runs in the tournament, the offense had never been "anything like that," Walpole manager Brian Oberacker said.

His team cranked out 14 hits in the regional title game. Walpole hit five homers in its previous five games of the regional, but in that same span averaged eight runs a game.

Against Connecticut, Walpole needed its offense to make up for an early deficit.

Connecticut took a 2-0 lead on pitcher Nick Petrovich's two-run homer in the first inning. Walpole quickly answered when first baseman Michael LaVita's single with the bases loaded drove in two runs in the bottom of the inning. Catcher Kyle Donnelly followed with a single that re-loaded the bases for Rando.

"I just swung the bat and it happened to go over," Rando said. "I just wanted to get us a couple of runs."

The production did not stop there for Walpole. Johnny Adams and John White hit back-to-back homers in the second. Adams added a two-run homer in the fourth that was followed eventually by LaVita's solo shot. In the fifth, pitcher Joseph Guarino Jr. hit a solo homer out of the eighth spot.

"We score a lot of runs, and these kids can hit from 1 to 13," Walpole assistant coach Jared Ruggieri said. "I think today we showed everybody what we're capable of."

Connecticut manager Mark Testani said he knew Walpole was strong on offense, but "I didn't think they would hit that many home runs."

After the third inning, Guarino did not allow a run, relying on a knuckle-curve his friend's brother taught him when he was 10 to keep hitters off-balance.

"They were a very good team that we matched up well with, and they should be very proud of themselves," Walpole assistant coach Wayne Oberacker said.

Members of both teams said the overall experience was one they will never forget.

The game was played before 5,371 fans and an ESPN audience. After the teams warmed up, a crew meticulously groomed the infield dirt, at times using a broom to sweep away footprints.

Now Walpole will carry the experience another step when it leaves for Williamsport, where the Series begins Friday. Walpole takes a 19-1 postseason record into the World Series, as it faces Great Lakes in the first round of pool play Friday afternoon.

"I don't think anyone expected us to go this far," Guarino said. Added Adams: "It feels awesome."

BDD_WPLL_8.13.07_ap.jpg

I caught an inning (watched on TV, NOT played the catcher position) of Chandler National's last qualifying game... what is it about these kids... it's like NONE of them has had a haircut in the last year. :blink:

Of course, I haven't had a haircut since June 2006! But I keep what's left of it (thinning on top) pulled back in a pony tail most of the time when I go out amongst the people. :biglaugh:

I, unfortunately not being from NY, never got to hear all that much of the Scooter announcing. I mostly remember him from ads for the money store which were done in the Boston area and occasional highlights with the famous HOLY COW!, or "I'll be coming over the bridge soon, Cora!"

He was very colorful and todays announcers could learn a boatload from him...

I would have loved to have seen him as a ballplayer, at 5'6". He not only representred every 'little man' but was the little man--and although when he first tried out was told to become a shoe shine boy eventually became a multi time world champion.

Rest In Peace

Thanks for all you did

200px-Rizzuto_plaque.jpg

Edited by mstar1

I, unfortunately not being from NY, never got to hear all that much of the Scooter announcing. I mostly remember him from ads for the money store which were done in the Boston area and occasional highlights with the famous HOLY COW!, or "I'll be coming over the bridge soon, Cora!"

He was very colorful and todays announcers could learn a boatload from him...

I would have loved to have seen him as a ballplayer, at 5'6". He not only representred every 'little man' but was the little man--and although when he first tried out was told to become a shoe shine boy eventually became a multi time world champion.

Rest In Peace

Thanks for all you did

200px-Rizzuto_plaque.jpg

Thanks for that clip Mstar! :eusa_clap:

grrrrrr....maybe he will work out-although it is maddening...

Hows Kason Gabbard doing down there?

One of the last things he did here was throw a complete game shutout, which after watching a young lefty do something rare like that (in Fenway no less) it's a tough thing to see him depart.

I hope he does your guys well