GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I have to say I'm surprised he came out in no uncertain terms to proclaim his innocence, since I, like everyone else, believe he did it. Still, the last I looked, this is still the United States, in spite of Bush, and presumably we're still innocent until proven guilty.

If nothing else, Clemens is putting his entire reputation on the line. If he's as guilty as seems likely, then the crash is going to be harder than if he kept his mouth shut . While I still believe he's guilty, I'm questioning more and more the reliability of these 2 guys that have been given all this credibility. I mean, just who are these guys, and how do we know they don't have an agenda ? Im just asking.

I might have this alittle wrong ( I dont feel like going back and reading all the details of The Report right at the moment) but I just dont see what McNamee could have possibly gained by lying. He was in a situation if, he lied, he would be held accountable for it.

When you are getting the screws put to you by federal prosecutors threatening charges, and a caveat to your immunity is truthful testimony, then why in the world would you lie? He had plenty of other dirt.

It doesn't add up.

If you can give me some reason for a vendetta he would have for Rajah, which is about the only thing that would make sense in that scenario, and it was for something that a person would reasonably risk their freedom for, then there might be something.

Still, regardless of what i think about McNamee, it all seems like a huge risk (as in jailtime risky)on his part not to be truthful

I have no idea what the motivations might be, or even if there are any. How do I know anything about this guy ?

The road Clemens is taking may very well bring him in front of congress, where he'll have to speak under oath. Maybe he is stupid enough to take on the world with a lie,or maybe, incredibly, he's innocent.

maybe-but guys dont just get better in their forties, at least not for the first 150 years of baseball they havent been. I dont see it, Nor go from being medicire for four years to tearing up the league either. Looking retrospectively at the arc of his career it is freakishly abnormal

Of course it wouldnt be the first time that I would be wrong about something, but at least to me it doesnt look good for Roger. Is he banking on it turning into an unprovable he said --he said? I dont know, I really dont

I even asked the only real authority in such matters The Magic Eight Ball,

"Has Roger Clemens done steroids?"

This is what I got:

3.gif

I'm not trying to defend him. I'm just saying he's playing with serious fire. If he's lieing, he gets what's coming if it blows up in his face.

As far as players getting better with age, I agree. Though he really hasn't been that great the last few years.I also don't know how to explain Nolan Ryan.

...Satchel Paige...is another

I suppose there are some people who defy the laws of nature every once in awhile.

Im sort of weary of the whole thing right now .

Im not a big Christmas fan and I have to deal with that--it has me distracted--

....it will all play out with or without me. It does look like fire to me as well

Merry Christmas Hiway,

Tom, Rock, Excie, baseball fans, Simon somehwere, and whoever else might be lurking

have a good one

Still, the last I looked, this is still the United States, in spite of Bush, and presumably we're still innocent until proven guilty.

In what context, that?

I think that is LIMITED to legal proceedings, particularly in criminal prosecutions.

Last I looked, THIS is not a criminal prosecution of Roger Clemens.

In the forum in which Clemens is currently engaged -- the court of public opinion -- there is NO such caveat, in America or elsewhere.

In two other forums, that of MLB rules compliance and of the HoF selection committee, he'll have a vocal advocate in Donald Fehr and co. How exactly this will play out in HoF consideration, I won't hazard a guess.

But I don't foresee Clemens being prosecuted for criminal conduct based on anything disclosed in the Mitchell Report.

Thanks for the Christmas wishes mStar....Speaking of 'roids. they must slip 'em into every bowl of New England clam chowder eaten by your professional athletes out there :biglaugh: ...What the heck is going on?...Bosox win the World Series,Pats are 15-0, Brady, Moss and co. are breaking every significant offensive record in the books and the Celts are 22-3???....HELLO-O-O- sports gods!! There are two hundred million something sports fans who DON'T live in Boston who would love to have something to cheer about this year!....These have really got to be the glory years for New Englander sports fans..I wonder if there has ever been a year when one city swept all three of the major sports championships...Anyway,enjoy the ride and feliz navidad....

I don't know from legal or criminal proceedings or anything.

I do know that Clelmens is going on 60 Minutes, and will probably have to testify under oath before congress.

Whether it's a 'trial' or not, or if he's going to jail wasn't my point.

My point is that it takes balls harder than what the roids provide to ask for the opportunity to lie like that. He's either real comfortable with lieing, or maybe there's the one in a thousand chance he's telling the truth.

I don't know from legal or criminal proceedings or anything.

I do know that Clelmens is going on 60 Minutes, and will probably have to testify under oath before congress.

Whether it's a 'trial' or not, or if he's going to jail wasn't my point.

My point is that it takes balls harder than what the roids provide to ask for the opportunity to lie like that. He's either real comfortable with lieing, or maybe there's the one in a thousand chance he's telling the truth.

I've known people for whom lying is easier than breathing. That's how this cynical sports fan sees it!

p.s. I was even married to one of them.

Edited by Rocky

Thanks for the Christmas wishes mStar....Speaking of 'roids. they must slip 'em into every bowl of New England clam chowder eaten by your professional athletes out there ...What the heck is going on?...Bosox win the World Series,Pats are 15-0, Brady, Moss and co. are breaking every significant offensive record in the books and the Celts are 22-3???....HELLO-O-O- sports gods!! There are two hundred million something sports fans who DON'T live in Boston who would love to have something to cheer about this year!....These have really got to be the glory years for New Englander sports fans..I wonder if there has ever been a year when one city swept all three of the major sports championships...Anyway,enjoy the ride and feliz navidad....

Yea you might say we are having a good year---- :rolleyes::biglaugh: something I never ever thought I would live to see and believe me I am enjoying it --every second of it----This year was a long long long long long long time coming.

Good to see you make an appearance

merry merry and all that, pop in more often.

I got Sox tix today for four games which is pretty near as much of a miracle as a virgin giving birth

Yea, but I bet you weren't married to Roger!!! :biglaugh:

You're correct on that one, though I'd be richer if I had been! :dance:

I got Sox tix today for four games which is pretty near as much of a miracle as a virgin giving birth

Those tix better not be for next October! :blink:

Guilty or not... there's no test for him now... essentially it's coming down to his word against MacNamee's isn't it?

For all the reasons you've all stated it is very hard for me to believe RC... he's got everything to gain, MacNamee's got everything to lose...

Right or Wrong, it makes me tend to believe MacNamee more.

As for Nolan... he never had the significant dip in performance did he? ...who knows, but probably the same for Paige.

Roger had a great career and then it was on it's "natural" devolution... until MacNamee!

thinking about Clemens /McNamee, Im having a PFAL flashback .... Im trying....to ...hold...it ...back......ahh...

Somebody has got to be a liar!

yecchh --thank God i purged that

...49 days until pitchers and catcher report....

Edited by mstar1

Scoop?

The Red Sox announced it right after the World Series Parade --Feb 14th --and since it has been pretty much the next day that is worth waking up on some people keep tabs on it.

This Blog keeps a rundown clock on the right hand column

Here is where it stands as of now:

Pitchers and catchers report:

48 days 21h 21m 15s

We'll see then if Santa, ..i mean Santana ..is coming to town

Everyday around here there is some little leak from some small paper in Minnesota about something 'getting close'. To me it feels like the Twins are playing it in a way to get the Yankees to up the ante.

Enough is enough, supposedly the Red Sox have had 4 good players on the table for close to a month, I'd take them all off and make the Twins start from scratch.

The Red Sox already have 6 good starters that are all capable of 200+ quality innings each so its not a do or die situation.

If need be wait ayear, until Schilling retires, Next years crop of pitchers is bound to be better than this years

berry berry nice mstar... although the stRangers weren't mentioned once! ...guess they need to make some history first huh?

what are the chances that you'll ever change your signature to "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it -- it's a home run! A three-run home run for Bucky Dent..."