GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Hopefully next year will be Jim's year, its his last year on the ballot.

I think a big thing was that although he had many dominant years for the era, he didnt play long enough to amass the numbers that attract the rave reviews . Hopefully next year there will be enough 'umph' to push him just that little bit further...

He was absolutely fearsome when he was in the box...

I think alot of people move for 'love' or for a once in a lifetime event. Its different but not all that abnormal Ive done it myself for a few women over the course of my life- -- in retrospect it would have been better to do it for a team. Probably not now, but I would've done it in my twenties--but in all my grand wisdom I was in a cult instead ---now that was unhealthy

Edited by mstar1

NO!

Its a bonafide mainstream religion with millions upon millions of worldwide followers who find some form of contentment in it and generally lead somewhat productive lives...except on some gamedays and while in the playoffs

Edited by mstar1

NO!

Its a bonafide mainstream religion with millions upon millions of worldwide followers who find some form of contentment in it and generally lead somewhat productive lives...except on some gamedays and while in the playoffs

Well, SOME cults have very big followings (see: Mormonism, Scientology)... :biglaugh:

True--but as far as I know, for all of their divine attributes neither Joseph Smith nor L. Ron Hubbard could hit a curveball

Geez, I always knew there was something wrong with those muttonheads... thanks for putting your finger on it!

:biglaugh::evildenk::biglaugh:

I saw that

LINK TO STORY

The guy went to 5 games in 6 years and wants a refund because he didnt see real baseball.

(/mstar forcedly represses comment about the Yankees here) :biglaugh:

he filed the lawsuit chiefly because he wanted team representatives "to be forced to come down and answer my claim."

It is sort of a waste of the courts time but it will be interesting (well a little anyway) what they say. Even though its only for $200 and something, i suppose they have to show, defend and win or every baseball fan for the last umpteen years could also demand a refund

27 days until Pitchers and Catchers report---

in the meantime--

If old pictures interest you The Library of Congress recently released 3,000 photos on Flickr, as part of a pilot project in "crowdsourcing" the identification and tagging of its photo archives:

The project is beginning somewhat modestly, but we hope to learn a lot from it. Out of some 14 million prints, photographs and other visual materials at the Library of Congress, more than 3,000 photos from two of our most popular collections are being made available on our new Flickr page, to include only images for which no copyright restrictions are known to exist.

The real magic comes when the power of the Flickr community takes over. We want people to tag, comment and make notes on the images, just like any other Flickr photo, which will benefit not only the community but also the collections themselves. For instance, many photos are missing key caption information such as where the photo was taken and who is pictured. If such information is collected via Flickr members, it can potentially enhance the quality of the bibliographic records for the images.

Heres what I have found so far:

Baseball Photos Search

Libarary of Congress baseball Photos

Steve Yerkes Fenway Park 1912

I sat behind that same pole up the firstbase line 90 years later

Edited by mstar1

HERE is a picture from Spring training 1912 of the Red Sox who would go on that year to a 105-47 record and win the World Series over the Giants

This is about a month before the very first game at Fenway Park which this group would christen ( one day after the Titanic disaster).

Smoky Joe Wood (I think he is the first guy in the 2nd row) was 22 and would pitch to a 34-5 record that year.

Tris Speaker (3rd row 2nd in (I think))the CFer was 24yo, hit .383 and had 35 outfield assists (a record that still stands)

1912 Team Stats

1912 World Series.

These Red Sox scored two runs in the bottom of the 10th off of Christy Mathewson to come from behind and win the final game and the World Series

Hey, I'm not even the Yankee fan I once was, since I spend my summers at Dodger Stadium now. Still the 12 year old fan never really dies, and that's when team loyalties really mattered.

I was kind of joking about posting stats, but I must say I find the interest in ALL aspects of baseball most encouraging.

I thought excie might..Which ones would you like? They are all (all of them) HERE. Boxscores and play by play of every postseason game since 1903. Poke around alittle bit they are fun to read.

Some people dont, but I love boxscores myself...After finding that picture of the 1912 team. To me it was great to be able to look up and see, who those guys that I was mostly unfamiliar with, were, what they did and recreate through the box scores the games of what was an incredibly exciting series.with legendary and mythic players. I felt as if I was watching that series reading about it early this morning, but thats just me.....

If anyone else gets bored like I do during the offseason and needs a game to relive or review

http://www.retrosheet.org has about 100 years worth of boxscores

another good starting place for stats and a mountain of great miscellaneous info that can be fun to read if your into such things

http://www.baseball-reference.com/

which goes back to 1871--

If Im not there I'll probably be busy breakin in my new glove

I'll keep those places in mind... for when I want to check on the Yankees of the late 50's and the 60's... there's really not much need for me to check there for the stRangers... :(

...but hey, we signed Laird to a one year deal avoiding arbitration... he'll look good in someone else's uniform before July...