GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I know Fernando V used to look up in the sky before his pitches but I also think there were some vids of him closing his eyes... anyone else remember that?

yeah... we won yesterday and are up through 3 today... stRanger fans have to hope for a good spring (even though it doesn't count to the rest of MLB!) in order for us to have any hope for the rest of the year...

Rock, are you and the guys going to make it out to Surprise this year?

Hiway... just wear a catheter that day!

Excie, is Mackie playing in a travelling league this year?

yeah... we won yesterday and are up through 3 today... stRanger fans have to hope for a good spring (even though it doesn't count to the rest of MLB!) in order for us to have any hope for the rest of the year...

Rock, are you and the guys going to make it out to Surprise this year?

Indeed, teams that suck during spring generally suck in the regular season.

And... the best way to guage whether we'll be able to make it out to Surprise is for you to make a trip to AZ... then we'll have to! My understanding is that a Mr. D.C. has been planning a trip from Chitown... and would probably like to see a game (or more than one) in Mesa... of course, I'm practically within walking distance from Giants spring home games... and auto fuel has risen about a quarter a gallon in the last two weeks... so, the closer to home, for me, the better. A Giants/Rangers game in Scottsdale would be a good thing. :) But I haven't checked the schedules to plan any specific games to attend yet.

we'll see... in the meantime, if you're in walking distance, I don't expect any posts from you during the times that games are being played there! spring training games are so fun to go to and relax and 'get close' to the players...

well, it DOES still cost $$$$$ to get into the stadium... the expression, I think I used was "practically within walking distance." I have, in practice, actually ridden my bicycle to the library which is right next door to the stadium... so, I might ride up there to take in a game... but it still would be more fun with another baseball fan.

Did you see the item I have posted (in a pic) on my page on another web site? It's something that came in yesterday's mail to commemorate the first day of spring training games...

Hey Mstar,

have you seen/heard where your buddy Trot's playing now?

I saw a picture of him a week or so ago playing for the Snakes. I wish him well.

He's the quintessential dirtdog and always plays hard no matter the circumstance even if he has to sacrifice his body to do it. The amount of injuries he has had playing that way has probably shortened his career but there is something right about watching someone play who is never afraid to get dirty and play hard...

Like I said I wish him well....

Even if his playing time is short he will bring alot to the young DBacks, ---good move by Josh Byrnes and the front office...

BDD_TN_dbacks_2.23.08.jpg

Edited by mstar1

:)

Today was a good day--For 49 years I never thought Id ever see one of these in my lifetime and today I got to hug not one, but two World Series Trophies....

100_1695.jpg

..some moments you feel like you are 7 again...

Edited by mstar1

I'm happy for you, mstar. I'd like to hug the 8 trophies that have been relevant in my lifetime. What was the event where you got to fondle the merchandise?

Glad you're enjoying Crazy 08. There were a few times while reading it that I thought,"Mstar would appreciate this", so I guess you and the others here are in my head.

Joe Torre looks fine in Dodger blue, and I'm glad he's here. I think it was time to leave NY, and that he's perfect for the Dodgers right now. A slight improvement over Grady Little whatever happens.

I'm actually feeling sorry for the Red Sox and the weird way they have to start the season. Playing official games overseas, then 3 exhibition games against the Dodgers seems like abusive scheduling. Of course I'm thinking like a 50 year old man. I'm sure these fellows in the prime of life can handle it.

Its no secret, at least to me that the Red Sox probably wont jump out to a large lead like they did last year ( of course who really knows anything?), not only is there a bunch of bizarre flights and time zone changes right off the bat and spring training being cut short...but also their first month and a half will be the toughest part of the schedule for the year. Tigers, Yanks, Cleveland, Yanks again, Angels and then the Tigers again-all right in a row...

Its always wait and see, anything can happen, but with Schilling and now Beckett also hurt, I'll be thankful for them to stay close during April-May and hopefully stay/get healthy for the long haul. Bartolo Colon could be an important pickup---hopefully he will bounce back from his injuries and have a good year as a starter...as the 6th or 7th guy..

Crazy 08 is a great book Ive laughed out loud several times already....

As far as the trophies --the are pretty much on perpetual tour as a thank you to the fans... after 04, that trophy eventually made an appearance in every town in New England and other places ( Iraq, California, Dominican Republic etc..)..whereever a request was put in...hospitals, schools, bars, Boys Clubs. Town halls...anywhere there were Red Sox fans ..... The 07 one gets around too, although it is a little more subdued

It was at the White House a week or so ago and it has been on a tour most of the winter....I rarely hear of them both being out together though....They were at the local High School for 6 hours yesterday. About 10,000 people showed up over that time before they moved them on to another town.

There were alot of children, families, grandfatherly types, couples and others all decked out in their game gear who all had the opportunity to spend alittle time and get their photos taken-everyone had the same silly grin I did......I'll be getting alot of Christmas Cards next year with happy families surrounding the trophies.

Edited by mstar1

Damn, Its spring training and this is the second incident between these two in a week.

video

Shelley Duncan of the Yankees has been suspended for three games and fined an undisclosed amount for his violent and reckless actions, which incited the bench-clearing incident...

Jonny Gomes of the Rays has been suspended for two games and fined an undisclosed amount for his violent actions, which escalated the bench-clearing incident...

Melky Cabrera of the Yankees has been suspended for three games and fined an undisclosed amount for his violent and aggressive actions during the incident...

In addition, New York manager Joe Girardi, third base coach Bobby Meacham and hitting coach Kevin Long have been fined for their roles in the incident.

LINK

It could be a long year between the Yanks and Rays

Nice story of the Yankees going to Virginia Tech. I heard one rabid Sox fan there say it will be hard for him to root against the Yankees now, which is a statement we won't hear mstar say in this lifetime.

A friend at work loves going to spring training camps. He trekked cross country last year to see Dodgertown before it closed, and raved about the laid back atmosphere, the closeness to the players, and the opportunities to just wander around the various fields to watch practice between games. His plan is to take his son to spring training in Arizona every year when the Dodgers move there.

Well, he was in Arizona last week to see the Giants, and Cubs. He said it was like going to a major league game. You couldn't get in the park early, get close to the players or see them practice, and he spent 20 dollars for a seat that would cost 6 dollars at Dodger Stadium. As he talked with fans at the park and expressed his concerns, the response he heard most was that the laid back spring training camps he missed were so 'east coast'. Stuck in the past.

With many of the Arizona camps being new parks, MLB has turned spring training into another cash cow.

For me, I'm counting the days to opening day, though I do have a little game at the LA Coliseum first.

That was a good story on the Yankees. The Joe G and Hank Steinbrenner Yanks feel alot different than the old guard

I thought THIS STORY in the college paper captured it well.

One of those students killed that day was Ross Alameddine, a sophomore and a Red Sox fan from Saugus, MA just outside of Boston

Ed Weathers, an English professor – and Yankee fan – at Virginia Tech had Alameddine as one of his students, and he writes “Today, as my Yankees honor Virginia Tech, I plan to spend a few hours remembering a Red Sox fan.”

Despite rivalries there is alot more that brings baseball fans together than separates them....

His plan is to take his son to spring training in Arizona every year when the Dodgers move there.
....FWIW- I read this story the other day A Father in baseball heaven which definitely sounds like the way to see spring training with your children..

and of course im looking forward to that game with the 200 foot left field screen (:rolleyes:) I hope you get some pictures---You'll be one of the historic 115,000

Edited by mstar1

Yesterday was an interesting and weird day around here....Im lovin this team for standing up together for the coaches and trainers after MLB reneged on its Japan agreement. It was sketchy for about 3 hours whether there even would be games in Japan--a gutsy move on behalf of the little guys who have no leverage...

Varitek:

A tip of my cap to the Sox players for sticking up for the coaches. It's amazing how MLB can be so penny wise and pound foolish-not unlike a mega corporation I'm involved with.

Now Nomar has a bone fracture that will probably last who knows how long. This is on top of the injury to La Roche, who was competing with him for 3rd base. Thia means the Dodgers HAVE no 3rd base. They're resisting dealing for Joe Crede from the 'other' Sox, but I'd be finding a way to make that deal myself.

Barry Bonds is still looking for a team. Will Oakland take the bait? Or maybe the Rays ?