GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

That's great mstar.

Was at Dodger Stadium last night against the Astros, but the Dodgers didn't show up, having forgotten how to score a run in the last few games.

I can enjoy any game just being there. It's more exciting when the home team is doing well, and pulls off some timely hitting and defense. Not only is the game better, but the crowd energy is fun.

In a game like last night, it seemed like 45000 people milling around, waiting for something to happen. The ever present LA beachballs were out in force, and people started to leave even earlier than usual.

Wait-they did get excited over something. I've never heard such booing in Dodger Stadium, as greets Andruw Jones when he steps in to bat. He's raised his average to .174, but went below that by striking out twice and getting on, on an error. He strikes out bad, too. Just waving at pitches. My only question is how he's managed to hit .170. I haven't seen him get a hit all year.

:biglaugh:

We had the "Aunt Bea" version in my day! :biglaugh: ---or maybe Betty Hill from King of the Hill lookalikes-no Pam Andersons in sight in those days...

Of course I dont remember hardly anyone going to LL games in those days---mostly just a small handful of other kids who were st the playground and a parent or two who was there to pick up their kid and give em a ride home-it wasnt that big a deal then I guess--I just rode my old stingray bike swung the glove on the highhandlebars balanced my bat and rode across town to the game--sometimes Id give a friend a ride and there'd be two of us on the bike....no one ever gave it a thought

-Today they have hot dog stands, parents (and families)that watch the whole game, every game, Pam Andersons ..and even in my tiny town 3 or 4 games going all at once...

I'd sure like to have some of those baseball cards I used to put in the front inside of my hat--I could retire early...

anyways-

for no particular reason heres me lookin old and goofy and wearing a 2007 World Series Ring

100_1706.jpg

bday.gif

To a Number ONE baseball fan, and wishing and hoping, even more than for another WS championship for the Red Sox, for MANY more happy birthdays for you!

Thank you very much---Im 53 --I really dont want much --maybe getting my wind back after smoking for 38 years would be nice..

I played softball last night for the first time in quite awhile and chasing down those flyballs and taking infield isnt nearly as easy as it used to be--the glove still works, the arm still works, even the bat wasnt bad-- but the back and lungs arent quite so cooperative just yet though. I may have lost a step um....well....about 14 steps with the legs too.. Im working on it all though...It was great to be back on a field

Whats happenin out there/

I gotta give some congrats to The Rays who as of now have their best record ever and are in first in the AL East..

(we'll see how long that lasts but they are definitely tough and will be around for awhile)

and I dont know if you saw this play from last night or not

It's just another "Manny being Manny" moment that Ive grown to love so much,

Ya gotta love it when he makes a good catch and then high fives a fan before throwing it in for the DP :biglaugh::eusa_clap:

Edited by mstar1

Well, Mstar, I wish I could play that clip... I love that kind of thing too.

btw, Brandon Webb is now 9-0 in 9 starts! Dbacks won 8-5 tonight, Webb gave up 3 runs.

I meant to say that the clip wouldn't play for me...

9-0 is hard to believe midway through May thats amazing...

as far as the clip --Manny caught it going away in left-- kept going three or four paces and leaped at the wall to high five a guy in a Red Sox shirt, came down, then threw to the cutoff man who doubled the runner off of first...just everyday Manny stuff :)

EDIT: HERE is another video of the catch I just found

I have boxes behind the ondeck circle tonight --The BrewCrew is coming to town as Interleague play starts

(will we have our annual rant against interleague play now?---Simon are you out there? :) )

Manny is sitting on 498--Im not really into the numbers so much as the ballgame but it would be cool to see his 500th..

I'll be hoping we have agood night its still cold and nasty in New England these days

Edited by mstar1

9-0 is hard to believe midway through May thats amazing...

as far as the clip --Manny caught it going away in left-- kept going three or four paces and leaped at the wall to high five a guy in a Red Sox shirt, came down, then threw to the cutoff man who doubled the runner off of first...just everyday Manny stuff :)

EDIT: HERE is another video of the catch I just found

I have boxes behind the ondeck circle tonight --The BrewCrew is coming to town as Interleague play starts

(will we have our annual rant against interleague play now?---Simon are you out there? :) )

Manny is sitting on 498--Im not really into the numbers so much as the ballgame but it would be cool to see his 500th..

I'll be hoping we have agood night its still cold and nasty in New England these days

Got it... and it played this time. Thanks... :)

greetings brothers! let's see...

Webb rolling along... check

Manny high fiving and doubling a guy off first... check

stRangers being 8-18 after a 7 game losing streak, and then fighting back to 22-22... amazing!

Starman sporting a world series ring and the Stars still alive tonight against Hockey's evil empire... priceless!

greetings brothers! let's see...

Webb rolling along... check

Manny high fiving and doubling a guy off first... check

stRangers being 8-18 after a 7 game losing streak, and then fighting back to 22-22... amazing!

Starman sporting a world series ring and the Stars still alive tonight against Hockey's evil empire... priceless!

Welcome back stRanger!

Its all good...

What a game tonight--about the 6th it dawned o n me that Jon Lester hadnt given up a hit yet...the last three innings got the adrenaline slowly getting amped up, got me pacing until I thought my heart would leap out of my chest by the ninth...Its good to know that the excitement can still get amped up

Congratulations to Jon Lester on the first no-hitter of the year.

First lefty in 52 years to toss one in Fenway.

at 24 -he has beaten cancer, won the final game of the World Series and now thrown a no-hitter

You have to like this 24 year old. He's all sorts of awesome

1211251565_0567.jpg

"He's not just a good kid because he threw a no-hitter," Terry Francona said. "He's a good kid because he's a good kid."

Fantastic, amazing, brilliant, wonderful

Good for him--that was exciting!

1211251634_0234.jpg

Edited by mstar1

The birthday was a few days ago Tom ---thanks and good luck to the Stars and Rangers--hopefully we'll be seeing the Celtics and Spurs soon as well.

It was cool in all sorts of ways to see Lester throw the no-no, like Francona said he's just a good kid that you cant help but pull for...

Its eerie that there is a new generation of Red Sox kid fans who are thinking that no-hitters and World Series wins are regular occurences----how things change-----

Excie--Im trying to figure out any English most of the time never mind 8th grade English(which I failed miserably if I recall) --and then compact it in a few sentences---

To me its a ashame that the government had to get involved in controlling steroids and other performance enhancing drugs in baseball. Baseball should be self regulating but dropped the ball so the government( which really should have bigger things to do) intervened.

Its good and bad and good and bad.

Its good that baseball will be cleaned up, bad that they couldnt (or wouldnt) do it themselves, bad that the game had to be stained in the national spotlight, good that its finally over, Good that someone has the power to do it, bad in that I'd rather see the government dealing with things of more far reaching importance.

There--thats a start--is that completely confusing enough? :)

Im tired too its midnight--maybe I'll try something coherent in the morning

What a game tonight--about the 6th it dawned o n me that Jon Lester hadnt given up a hit yet...the last three innings got the adrenaline slowly getting amped up, got me pacing until I thought my heart would leap out of my chest by the ninth...Its good to know that the excitement can still get amped up

Congratulations to Jon Lester on the first no-hitter of the year.

First lefty in 52 years to toss one in Fenway.

at 24 -he has beaten cancer, won the final game of the World Series and now thrown a no-hitter

You have to like this 24 year old. He's all sorts of awesome

I remember feeling that way when the Big Unit pitched his perfect game in Atlanta a few years ago... Simonzelotes and I were watching the game together that day... it was pretty exciting.

Indeed, Francona's right... how can one not cheer for Lester to do those things!

happy birthday dear m

--

could you guys help me out with a few sentences in 8th grade language about why the government is in involved in steroids and good or bad

i'm too tired to look into it

love always

Excie,

I offer these, in the hope that they might help. I apologize if I didn't succeed:

Steroids have caused several professional athletes to die way too young.

Steroids cause a great deal of harm to the body, ESPECIALLY to adolescents whose bodies still need to finish developing into adulthood.

Professional sports, especially Major League Baseball and the National Football League, did not "police" themselves to keep steroids out of their sports.

Therefore, the regulator of last resort (the government), had to get involved before MLB and the NFL would get serious about stopping steroid use.

I was just thinkin'... and I don't think we've talked about it since it happened last year... but I'm thinkin' that everyone in NYC rues the day that Joe T was 'let go' (except the Steinbrenners and Mets fans)... I'm tellin' ya, a good manager, the right manager, can make a difference in a season...

I know that Apod has been 'out sick' and his bat does make a difference but now young Hank is probably going to set about trying to find someone just like the Joe he let go of... sheesh, are they taking lessons from Tom Hicks?

...of course, I guess it's probably more that Hicks is taking lessons from them.

The Yankees are clearly going nowhere this year. Of course I said the same thing last year, and they wound up in the playoffs ( not for long, but they shouldn't have gotten that far).

At this time last year, Joe T looked like a man who's time had past. This year, Joe G looks like a man without a time.

It's still mid May-with 4 1/2 months to go-not that I think it will make a difference.

I'm glad Joe T is here in LA-but even he couldn't fix Andruw Jones-who mercifully looks to be out for the season. Between him and Jason Schmidt, the Dodgers could have saved about 70 million.

Did "the Unit" have a perfect game as well as a no-no??? gosh... I didn't remember that...

May 18, 2004

Game recap, Johnson's perfect game

It's my understanding that this game was his only no hitter.

Wikipedia -- Randy Johnson

Accomplishments

• 10-time All-Star (1990, 1993-95, 1997, 1999, 2000-02, 2004)
  • Led the league in ERA four times (1995, 1999, 2001, 2002)
  • Led the league in strikeouts nine times (1992-95, 1999, 2000-02, 2004)
  • World Series co-MVP (Curt Schilling, 2001)
  • 5 time Cy Young Award winner (1995, 2000-03)
  • Pitched a perfect game against the Atlanta Braves (May 18, 2004)
  • Killed bird with fastball.

MANY thanks mstar and rocky for your help

Nada...