GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I read that article. That article sounds absolutely ridiculous. Who is that guy anyway? he can not be sports writer when he writes crap like:

:realmad::realmad::realmad::CUSSING::CUSSING:

Dont like it? Im with Simon--go to professional extreme mudwrestling , pitbulls on speed or STAY AT HOME!!!!!!!!!

:asdf::asdf:

I cant even comment on how stupid that statement is

However, it IS typical of his blather.

Thanks for linking that, Rock...I figured Mstar would get a kick out of it...Sure, I'm old fashioned and slow to accept change---but baseball doesn't need to keep up with the fast-paced, high-energy sports to be enjoyable...In fact, the more amped our culture becomes, the more baseball is needed---sit back, relax, eat some pistachios, bullsh!t about the game or anything else that comes to mind in between the action...Although, I'd also add your guy, Julian Tevares as another one of those guys that could grind the game to a screeching halt when he came in and relieved...

In fact, the more amped our culture becomes, the more baseball is needed---sit back, relax, eat some pistachios, bullsh!t about the game or anything else that comes to mind in between the action

That statement should be written somewhere in gold.

Seriously

Its the best therapy on the planet-- its exactly the rhythms and the moments 'in between' that gives you time to unwind from the ampedupness and unnatural stresses of life that creep in.

You should write that in a letter to Bickley and Selig,

I'll put it in a cathedral window coming out of Haysus's mouth if I ever get the chance.........

Speaking of Julian tavarez....and Manny....and in between moments

HERE THEY ARE all rolled into one

:lol:

:biglaugh:

who says you need lightening quick action to have fun at a game? Sometimes its unexpected tiny moments like this that can be memorable...

I already have enough hurry, hurry, hurry---I dont need anymore.

If need be you can always follow Manny's lead during pitching changes--sit back-- relax--enjoy

Edited by mstar1

Hey... I've got some more good news from stRanger land...

From Jamey Newberg:

MLB has just named Josh Hamilton the American League Player of the Month for May. He is the first American League player in the 35-year history of the monthly honors to win the award in both April and May in a given season. Eric Davis (1987), Bobby Bonilla (1988), and Mark McGwire (1998) achieved the feat in the National League.

Hamilton has also soared from sixth to second among AL outfielders in the All-Star Game vote. He could be the first Ranger to start an All-Star Game since 2005. He and Ichiro (third in the outfield vote) are the only players not with Boston or New York who would start for the A.L. if voting closed today.

good for him! he's now trailing only Manny in voting!

...and tonight Junior tries to join the 600 club!

Im lookin forward to getting more exposure to Hamilton--Its a great story and he looks exciting to watch...

Im off to the game tonight against the first place Rays (boy--ive never had to say that before..).

I invited my sister who I havent been to a game with in 41 years. When she was 19 and I was 11, she would bring me, her little brother, to games all through the magical summer of '67 everytime she was having a hard time with her boyfriend which was alot that year. She even got me World Series tickets that year (which cost a whopping $4.00)

---It only took me 41 years to return the favor-- This should be fun--she is still like a little kid at a game.

I'll be in my Manny gear to welcome him home for the first appearance after #500

Ortiz is hurt, Manny's DHing now--as I'm typing he's on TV and said regarding DHing " How are they ever gonna replace my Gold Glove? :biglaugh:

Im lookin forward to getting more exposure to Hamilton--Its a great story and he looks exciting to watch...

Ortiz is hurt, Manny's DHing now--as I'm typing he's on TV and said regarding DHing " How are they ever gonna replace my Gold Glove? :biglaugh:

yeah... try and catch some stRanger games (if you can stomach the relievers), Hamilton does something remarkable almost every game with either his bat or his glove...

...and that's another Manny being Manny quote if I ever heard it...

we better stop now... the other guys are gonna get sick of this...

Have fun with the Sister...

Thanks I will and I'll try to catch up on some Hamilton as well

.....Papi Ortiz could be out for the season after popping something in his wrist the other day....The Sox are deep and they may be OK.

Im not worried (other than I'll miss watching him and hoping for his quick recovery)....The weird thing that after all my tirading for the last few years, that if they decide to get someone to replace him for the year that can provide somesort of power and numbers in his spot the logical choice is ( :asdf: and biting my tongue) Bonds.

Im not going to worry about it--I'll leave it up to Theo to make decisions and figure the ins and outs of all that. Its a beautiful afternoon and I got a ballgame in afew hours--thats enough

Did we chase Hiway away with the Manny talk?

'mom back!

No great news but I do have a new favorite player name for this year.

I saw Grant Balfour, grant ball four last night.

I dont know if Id ever choose to be a pitcher with a name like that...

If there was ever a name that is bound to be in a baseball story someday.....thats one...

[quote name='mstar1' date='Jun 4 2008, 01:21 PM' post='415127'

If there was ever a name that is bound to be in a baseball story someday.....thats one...

Well, Bob Walk did have a pretty decent Major league pitching career...

The Manny talk hasn't kept me away. Insane overtime hours, and most of 'my' teams playing awful, have. If you don't have anything good to say, and all that-though that hasn't stopped me in the past.

I really haven't had anything to contribute, as I've been too wrapped up in 'real life'. Hopefully that will change. I MIGHT have tickets behind home plate for the Cubs at Dodger Stadium this weekend, but I won't know until Friday. I could use a ball game.

I just remembered I did have something to say. I just read Bobby Murcer's new book 'Yankee for Life'. Bobby was my favorite player for a time , on the worst Yankee teams ever conceived, circa late 60's. He just missed the 77-78 championship years, having been traded for Bobby Bonds in 74, and brought back in '79.

Nice book-especially since Bobby had brain cancer in 2006, and so far is a survivor. There's something about major crises that can bring out the best in people, and Murcer's 'journey' is quite inspiring. I wish him well. His goal is to throw out the first pitch in the new Stadium in 2009, and I'm REALLY hoping he gets to.

I hadnt thought of the opening of the new stadium--Now THAT will be something--or at least it should be. done up to be quite abig deal

I dont know if Bobby will get the ball or not--good luck if he does--even though I gave him my fair share of heckling during my teen years--I wish him all the best in his recovery.

Well, Bob Walk did have a pretty decent Major league pitching career...

Can you imagine what it would have been like for Bob Walk if he had played at Chase Field, B4 it was called Chase Field?

I remember, maybe it was last year, seeing a game on TV with that guy pitching... I can't imagine any game broadcaster (for the opposing team) NOT making a big deal about the name Grant BalFour... at least until it gets old... or they do it enough times to where it's no longer a novelty.

The Manny talk hasn't kept me away. Insane overtime hours, and most of 'my' teams playing awful, have. If you don't have anything good to say, and all that-though that hasn't stopped me in the past.

I really haven't had anything to contribute, as I've been too wrapped up in 'real life'. Hopefully that will change. I MIGHT have tickets behind home plate for the Cubs at Dodger Stadium this weekend, but I won't know until Friday. I could use a ball game.

Well, despite having an amazing month of April, the Diamondbacks have been sucking big time lately.

I'm fairly certain that the only way Bobby Murcer won't throw out the first pitch is if he's not alive to do so. The Yankees have been very supportive through this , and Bobby still broadcasts 50 games a year. This is a moment that needs to happen.

I vote for Bobby as well---Played for the Cubs too, back in the day, but it would nice to have a Yank do it that doesn't just represent their glory years...

All this talk about pitcher's names reminds me of a horse race I saw years ago with one of the runners up being a thorobred named "Hoof-Hearted"...The announcer had a good time with that one..."Hoof Hearted coming around the first turn!...Hoof-Hearted coming down the stretch!...and Hoof-Hearted at the finish line!!"....

All this talk about pitcher's names reminds me of a horse race I saw years ago with one of the runners up being a thorobred named "Hoof-Hearted"...The announcer had a good time with that one..."Hoof Hearted coming around the first turn!...Hoof-Hearted coming down the stretch!...and Hoof-Hearted at the finish line!!"....

Didn't I play that for you on my DVR? It was on Countdown with Keith Olbermann last year... and I kept it... when you come over to paint my roof, I can show it to you again... :D

baseball names.....

I'd like to hear anymore that you got...Years ago someone told me about an old third base coach somewhere who had the perfect name "Pop" Fleiss.

whether that was real or imagined i never checked out..

anyway--I guess I should move the "What Happened" thread over here

Im still trying to figure out "What Happened" last night at Fenway.

maybe it was something in the water...

1st inning: Gametime begins early at 6:05, moved up an hour to accommodate Celtics game.

1st inning: Manny Ramirez launches homer #503, a three-run shot.

2nd inning: James Shields drills Coco Crisp; Coco charges the mound- basebrawl ensues.

2nd inning: In the aftermath, Coco, Shields and Jonny Gomes are all ejected.

2nd inning: Chris Carter makes his major league debut, replacing Coco.

4th inning: Jacoby Ellsbury makes spectacular diving catch, bends wrist backwards in a way God doesn't intend, leaves the game.

4th inning: Kevin Youkilis called in to play rightfield for the first time in his career

4th inning: Chris Carter gets first major league hit

5th inning: Manny and Youkilis get into a mini-fight with each other in the dugout.

7th inning: Manny tweaks his hamstring while at-bat, leaves the game.

7th inning: Kevin Cash possibly the slowest runner in major league baseball called in from the bullpen to pinch run for Manny.

8th inning: Streaker in Celtics jersey, runs entirely across field, breaking three tackles while evading security

9th inning: Red Sox complete sweep of Rays, go up 1.5 games in AL East.

Was it something in the water? Because that's a run of some crazy stuff.

There's something else to add to the list:

Stephen King made an appearance doing a pregame interview on NESN in Sox hat

That guy is the definition of weird...

anyway hopefully (but who knows ?) back to normal today.

Ill wait to hear about the suspensions, the aftermath of the infighting, and the injuries to Ellsbury and Manny.

Congratulations to Christ Carter on hit #1, I wonder what the fine for the streaker will be? and hopefully I'll never have to see Kevin Cash pinchrun ever again

He's at alot of games, not all..sort of like Nicholson at the Laker games-----(Does he still go?)

They show King at the National TV big games--but its the first time Ive seen him interviewed at a game in 2 or 3 years.

It was just an odd appearance, before the game (maybe I can find a clip) he was talking about fighting in baseball--and of course a few hours later two fights broke out.

just an odd night

The best part was seeing Paul Pierce channeling Willis Reed

are you watching the NBA finals ?

Yes, I'm watching the finals, and believe it or not, I'm a Celtics fan. Guess it goes back to the Celtics of my childhood, and the Byrd vs Magic rivalry in the 80's. I won't be saying it very loud out here.

Nicholson seems to be at every game-at least every game that I've caught on tv.

Congratulations to Christ Carter on hit #1, I wonder what the fine for the streaker will be? and hopefully I'll never have to see Kevin Cash pinchrun ever again

Talk about setting up some high expectations!!!

Yes, I'm watching the finals, and believe it or not, I'm a Celtics fan. Guess it goes back to the Celtics of my childhood, and the Byrd vs Magic rivalry in the 80's. I won't be saying it very loud out here.

Your about my age--Its hard NOT to like those early Russell, Sam Jones, KC Jones, Satch Sanders, John Havlicek teams that seemed to always be in the finals against Elgin Baylor and Jerry West during the 60's.

Being in TWI I didnt get as close a look at the Bird/Magic years as I would have liked

I dont follow basketball all that closely anymore but the year the Celts have had combined with meeting the Lakers in the Finals conjures up the old feelings that havent been there for too long ...

o that was another weird thing about last nights Red Sox game...the dominant chant all night at the baseball gamewas

BEAT LA--BEAT LA --BEAT LA

It apparently is no big deal between Manny and Youkilis if anyone cares....

As I was about to leave work yesterday, I was handed a ticket behind home plate for the Dodger game today, so I'll be spending Saturday afternoon seeing these Cubs up close. I 'm also looking forward to seeing Lou Piniella, and Joe Torre at the same time.