GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Thanks, mstar.

My memory was a bit fuzzy before. Bobby hit 4 home runs in a row-but they were over 2 games. He did hit 3 in one of them though.

Another memory was when Thurman Munson died. Bobby and Thurman were best friends, and the night game on the day of Thurman's memorial, Murcer insisted on playing because he believed Munson would have wanted him to. Bobby only drove in every run that night for the win (one of those rare occasions when winning a game has some real life meaning).

Since the Yankees are on the road, I wonder how they'll handle the tribute. Will it be more than a mention at the All-star game, or will they wait for the next home game. That is something I hope to see somehow.

Sorry for posting this "Newburg Report" but it kind of embodies the joy that we've found in a team that loves to play together... I know it sounds goofy but the guys never seem to get down when their pitching is horrible... they just try to figure out a way to come up with some more runs...

Hiway, did you catch any of the Angels/stRanger games on TV last week? We took the series from the White Sox yesterday by winning a game in which the WS got 22 hits!

THE NEWBERG REPORT

Fifty wins at the Break, despite losing 16 of the first 23 games of the season. Despite its players spending over 700 games on the major league disabled list so far, which is responsible in part for suiting up a phenomenal 46 players, and counting.

The Rangers have played 23 series since those first 23 games. Of those 23 series, they’ve lost only three.

This club features the player who, after two months, most considered the frontrunner for American League MVP, but who, according to ESPN, is only the runner-up at this point: Jayson Stark believes Josh Hamilton has ceded the honor at this point.

To Ian Kinsler.

The transformation that Kinsler has made this year, on the field and as a leader on this team, has been as adrenalizing as any Rangers development this season.

His 25-game hit streak, best in the league this season, is second in franchise history to Gabe Kapler’s 28-game run in 2000.

Kapler’s line during his streak was .375/.408/.652.

Kinsler’s during his is .425/.508/.717.

Milton Bradley is hitting .316/.440/.610 in 269 at-bats, with 19 home runs, 41 extra-base hits, 57 RBI, 164 total bases, 56 walks, and 55 runs.

Alex Rodriguez is hitting .312/.392/.581 in 279 at-bats, with 19 home runs, 37 extra-base hits, 53 RBI, 162 total bases, 33 walks, and 53 runs.

Michael Young hit .339 during his 23-game hit streak from May 14 through June 10. During his current 15-game run, he’s hitting .429, averaging a multi-hit game (30 hits in 15 games). All of a sudden, he’s on pace for 199 hits.

Hamilton had driven in runs in eight straight games before failing to do so in today’s win, and he sits at 95 RBI in 93 games as he boards a flight, with Kinsler and Bradley and Young, to New York to be where they belong the next few days.

Not sliding on the Shea Stadium tarp, as they did four weeks ago in another unusually defining moment for this club, but suiting up as the choice of their peers, if not the fans, to represent the league as the best it has to offer right now.

There’s something really good happening here, especially when you consider the massive influx of rookies who are contributing to this team and the multiple waves of prospects marching behind them, and as much as I know the pitching staff desperately needs this break – and yet still managed to help this club win two games in each of the last five series – I’m already bothered that it will be five days before Texas takes the field again.

After the last few years of hard goings its good to see that they are finally having some fun down the in Texasland, to me it makes all the difference. It was when the RedSox started to have fun playing baseball (The Idiots of '04) is when they started to win. The fun is is contagious , baseball should always be fun

They look formidable at the plate ---i wish I got the chance to see them more often. I guess I get a little sneak peek this week

I'd be curious if you have any insights what turned them around (obviously Hamilton for one). What poison left? whose the spark?

Somethins going on in Texas that looks like fun--enjoy it!

There are ofthand remarks around here to get Texiera sice Ortiz is out,My initial reaction, especially after seeing what happened to your guys when he left) is Noooooooo

I'd be curious if you have any insights what turned them around (obviously Hamilton for one). What poison left? whose the spark?

I had mentioned this the other day...

CJ Wilson was on the radio the other day talking about how much fun it is to play here, how much better the clubhouse is "since the departure of a couple of players who were only concerned about a paycheck" (really, he said that)... it wasn't too hard to figure out that he was talking about Tex and Gary Matthews Jr who are both plying their trade elsewhere now as y'all know...

Tex is a Boras client... but it seems to even go beyond that...

...the other reason for the turn around, the feeling in 'the room' seems to be Ron Washington, all of the guys really like him... my gawd, look at Milton Bradley here this year, he is nothing like what was advertised... he was even on TV talking about (in tears) how Washington came to him personally to tell him he'd made the AS team and gave him a hug as well... MB said that he'd never had any 'father-son moments' in his entire life but that must be how one would feel... heck, I got misty just watching it...

No one, fans or players, wants them to 'deal' MB in the next couple of weeks...

If I was boston I'd try to go after that kid from Philly... Ryan is his name isn't it? He looks like an Ortiz starter kit anyway!

Is Ryan Howard soon a free agent?

Good grief-I hope he stays with the Phillies. I can only imagine the money thrown at him though, so Philly may as well get ready. Sometimes you wonder what the point is for most teams.

I only caught a little of the Angels, stRangers series, but those guys from Texas are looking tough. As usual, the pitching may keep them from the top.Plus that is one strong division. Now if they were in the NL west they'd be looking at the magic number pretty soon.

Hiway, did you catch any of the Angels/stRanger games on TV last week? We took the series from the White Sox yesterday by winning a game in which the WS got 22 hits!

Now THAT'S exciting baseball!

Is Ryan Howard soon a free agent?

Good grief-I hope he stays with the Phillies. I can only imagine the money thrown at him though, so Philly may as well get ready. Sometimes you wonder what the point is for most teams.

I only caught a little of the Angels, stRangers series, but those guys from Texas are looking tough. As usual, the pitching may keep them from the top.Plus that is one strong division. Now if they were in the NL west they'd be looking at the magic number pretty soon.

Hey! I heard that!!!! :biglaugh:

... I havent heard anything about Howard--and everyone is mum on Ortiz -so all we have at this point is speculation (as in every July).

Adam Dunn of the Reds might be interesting and alot cheaper than Howard but so far either Drew or Youkilis have been doing fine in Ortiz's three hole--- so for all I know the Red Sox may havea totally different set of priorities,

There are other needs --The bottom third of the lineup has become mostly a black hole and middle relief has been at the best spotty. Varitek is OK bat or no bat, but no one would miss if Julio Lugo got sent somewhere, although I doubt anyone would take him at 9m/year for 3 more years <_< ........

.....Its good to see Washington is having an impact...I see it so much in Francona that the managers job is so much more than filling out a lineup card and strategic moves but moreso daily dealing with 25 diverse personalities and making them enjoy playing...In Tito's tenure there has been near zero whining or complaining which used to be the main staple of Boston baseball.

Thank God thats over, baseball is meant to be fun--glad the texans are finding that out--Its good for everybody.....

anyway---the 'friend' who earlier in the year promised me the AllStar tickets, that I talked about here- reneged,so I'll be watching on the box like yous guys.

His "friendship" is gonna stay in quotes for awhile--maybe until delivers some lobsters from Maine

That was a fun home run contest. They made it seem easy to reach the upper deck in Yankee Stadium, which I can assure you, it's not.

I suffered my first real pangs of realization that the Stadium's days are numbered. Maybe the Murcer passing helped trigger it, but I spent much of the home run contest reliving what the place has meant to me, from 1961, my first year of baseball awareness(and Maris' 61), to my first game in person in '63, through the collapse of the dynasty, the Reggie years, the Mattingly years, to my favorite Yankee team of the late 90's, to whatever they are right now.

I'm hoping to really like the new place, but the reality is setting in hard.

A nice sidenote to Hamilton's feats is his pitcher Clay Counsel, who is 71 years old. This was his second trip to Yankee Stadium, according to Mike and Mike. The first time being there for Don Larsen's perfect game in '56.

The did mention this during the first round... The guy was amazing. I wonder if his shoulder's sore today...

too bad he couldn't take home the trophy... but I think that everyone knows who "won" last night... well, besides us who got to watch it happen...

oh to have been there... it was pretty neat, you can't help but like the guy who brings his old coach from American Legion (like he promised him when he was a kid)...

hiway, from all of those overhead shots the new Yankee Stadium looks alot like the old one... what's the difference? a few more seats and a lot more luxury boxes?

Now that he's got some national spotlight he is bound to be a new media darling

You cant help but like him, his story, bringing his old coach, and that sweet sweet sound of the crack of his bat...that is really sumpthin to hear :biglaugh:

A few of those into center I thought went out--as in out to the subway in right center--just flippin WOW

When Ortiz got up and walked by him into the clubhouse about halfway through the first round, I think Papi knew-- it was symbolic in a way that the torch had passed to a new face, a new personality and a new story...

Go Josh!

I suffered my first real pangs of realization that the Stadium's days are numbered

i tried to tell you last winter---I know what it means to you--Mortgage the cat, get a cheap flight and get thee on a plane--you have about 3 months. I promise despite all the BS to do it, it will be worth it.

Tickets

Surely, the luxury boxes, restaurants, etc are the bottom line here. It's all about the money of course.

Beyond that , though, from what I understand, the new park will look as much like the pre-70'e renovation as possible. That means features like the cool frieze pattern that ran around the top of the stadium will be back. In the 70's, they took it down , and put an 'homage' to it in the big concrete pattern in the outfield. Not the same.

Somehow I doubt they'll restore the 457' left center field wall, or put the monuments back in center field. The days of watching players chase balls behind the Babe's monument won't be back.

You're right. They're duplicating the stadium as much as possible right next door, which is probably the best way to go.At least it's not the Meadowlands in Jersey, as George used to threaten.

I'm glad I took the tour and got into the clubhouse, tunnels, dugout, and press box in time.

I know you're right, mstar. I know I should get out there. I don't know how right now. If I don't, I'll never blame you- but I will kick myself for sure.

Some moments only come once---I wont harp on it

(just steal me a chair or something if when you go :wink2: )

That means features like the cool frieze pattern that ran around the top of the stadium will be back

Here it is...in the new and the old.

I think (not sure--but heard it once) that the old ones were covered in copper which gave it the green patina. Thankfully the upper deck isnt as steep as it used to be, As i remeber it it was like walking down a cliff and seemed as high as Everest

collage-1.jpg

Edited by mstar1

Now that he's got some national spotlight he is bound to be a new media darling

You cant help but like him, his story, bringing his old coach, and that sweet sweet sound of the crack of his bat...that is really sumpthin to hear :biglaugh:

A few of those into center I thought went out--as in out to the subway in right center--just flippin WOW

When Ortiz got up and walked by him into the clubhouse about halfway through the first round, I think Papi knew-- it was symbolic in a way that the torch had passed to a new face, a new personality and a new story...

Go Josh!

i tried to tell you last winter---I know what it means to you--Mortgage the cat, get a cheap flight and get thee on a plane--you have about 3 months. I promise despite all the BS to do it, it will be worth it.

Tickets

Yankees tickets at STUBHUB

Edited by Rocky

I must say that picture from the new stadium gets me excited.

You're so right about the steep upper deck. I remember once, as a teenager. getting dizzy , sitting in the top row deep in left field. My friend's uncle, who brought us, decided to move closer, and we somehow wound up in right field, field level just beyond the fence-sitting down just in time to be close to a Bobby Murcer home run that landed nearby !

That upper deck was down right spooky

I was only there once for a Red Sox/Yankee weekend series (DUH!) in the early 70's which had an old timers game on Sunday.

i dont remeber much of the series but the old timers game is very vivid. All the 30's/40's/50's/and 60's legends were there, stretching way back to Mrs. Ruth and Gehrig.

I remember Yogi and Casey Stengel both grabbed the mikes and bantered in some unknown language for a few minutes :biglaugh:

The highlight of the afternoon was when Joltin Joe hit an incredibly sharp single (for an old man) off of (?) Whitey Ford (I think).

I was up behind 3rd in that upper deck and kept getting the feeling that if I stood and didnt hang on to the railing I would tumble down the aisle and go careening over the edge to my most certain death :biglaugh:

it was like cliff climbing to get out of there.

thats when the monuments were ON the field as well, and you could still watch the game from the Subway platform past right field

Edited by mstar1

the opening ceremonies. wow.

ok, I admit it. I'm the 12 year old Yankee fan geek again for one night. Favorite moment-Yogi, Whitey, Goose, and Reggie , throwing the first pitch to the current Yankees.

Yogi looks healthier than George by a long shot. Live forever Yogi.

Other fav moments. Willie McCovey, standing getting up out the wheelchair while being introduced. Of course the amazing roster of hall of famers.

It's all almost overwhelming.

Hope the game is good.

i thought that would chill you --it did me too

I was WOWing everyone I saw for about an hour

It was great to see Brooks, Bob Gibson, Willie and some of those HOFamers who you dont see very often---I couldnt believe the ballplayers that were assembled on one field.

Amazin'

So far so good--Ive been hearing about Ben Sheets for years but have never really seen his stuff before--it was jawdroppingly nasty

I fell asleep before it was over but I was enjoying it---Im sure Hiway was eating it up....the stadium, the feel, and even his all time fave JD Drew :) hitting the tying HR.

...I got p!ssed (well saddened really) when I found out Jonathan Papelbons pregnant wife had been threatened and harassed because of an intentional misquote and incendiary headline in the Daily News. (they have nothing else to write about on AllStar GameDay?----F/U Mark Feinsand )

They were merciless on Papelbon (whatever..) but his pregnant wife?? for a misquote? at an allstar game ?<_<

Took a little bit of the shine off what should have been a fun event

Edited by mstar1