GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

The NY rags get worse every year. The only thing that sticks is that stupid Papel Bum picture on the back page, and so gas is thrown on a fire that never needs much to set off. The News and Post approach life like it's the Jerry Springer show, (or in the Post's case, Rush Limbaugh). At least they eat their own as well, based on some of the back page smears at various Mets, and Yankees I've seen recently. I didn't hear about Papelbon's wife, and I don't think I want to.

I stayed up for the whole thing, but then I'm not on the east coast. That's not the JD Drew that was in LA. Maybe it was too laid back out here for him. He almost got to pitch, too!

Glad to see the AL win again. This is making up for a lifetime of NL dominance.

Weird game. So many missed opportunities to score. Russell Martin put on a show behind the plate.

Looks like the Series opens in Fenway again this year. Stupid, stupid, rule rewarding the winner of this with something like that.

Yea the NewYork rags--you know its coming but they couldnt write about Yogi or Whitey or Yankee Staidum for one damn day?

Its things like that, that get me alittle ticked at NY from time to time (Im getting better at letting it go)

I do hope Paps shuts em down for the rest of the season now

anyway--I fell asleep---Drew almost got to pitch??

I knew Francona cleared out the bench by the ninth---It was all a good show, some great pitching---but i'd be kicking myself if I missed Drew pitching :biglaugh:

During pregame--I think it was the very first time Ive ever seen Bob Gibson smile--but I'd still hate to face him...

It was a very good game... IMO.

Of course I was happy to see my boys contribute...

Michael Young got the game winning RBI.

Michael Young got the game winning RBI.

(just thought I'd say it twice since he got it twice!)

Dang umps! ...but I know that both of those calls (at the plate and on Kinsler's steal) usually go the way they called them...

J.D. was the only one that I could think of to get the MVP. It was such a team effort on both sides but he had some critical at bats and came through.

A nice "exhibition" wasn't it?

nice "exhibition" wasn't it?

Hell yea!

The whole thing was a great show..

as usual on the day after, my concerns go to the players--Hopefully none of the pitchers who participated and pitched on sunday, did any damage...and as big as the splash Hamilton made at the HR Derby--I hope he didnt screw up his swing, which seems to happen to at least one participant every year.

It WAS great and the stRangers looked good ( we get to see you in mid August..)--but maybe they have to think about a different format.

Thankfully Selig didnt have to stop the game again--with homefield on the line that would have been a real fiasco

If it had gone one more inning, the AL would have been out of pitchers (or Francona could have left the Rays closer in until his arm gave out-that wouldn't have looked good) Drew reminded him that he pitched in high school and was 'ready' if they needed him.

As I've said many times, I'm sick to death of the Sox-Yankee thing. In all my years on the east coast, it rarely seemed a big deal, except in huge games like the '78 playoff game. That kind of fervor, fueled by irresponsible 'journalists', would be enough to turn me off to the game after awhile. Baseball is supposed to be fun, not warfare. And it goes on in Boston too. I just read of someone in a car being chased down and beaten in Boston because they thought the driver was a Yankee fan. Nice. There are aholes everywhere, and the so called NY newspapers speak to the basest emotions . Joe Torre hasn't made the front page of the LA Times yet, and he must feel like he's resting in the tropics by comparison. The NY Post and News aren't really newspapers, so much as glorified Enquirers, with agendas to create exciting 'news'. You don't get that kind of nonsense in the NY Times, but then the Times isn't as easy to read on the subway, and doesn't have big pictures, and write in 2 syllable words.

So now, Boston has to respond, and the next trip to Fenway will be extra crazy. Mstar is already extra motivated to see Papelbon get revenge( understandably so, I might add).

For me, it ended in that sick game where Zimmer lost his mind, and got thrown to the ground. I decided I had to get off that carnival ride, and have distanced myself as much as possible since then, because it's never fun to go back to, as I saw last night.

I dont want any revenge (I dont want any of this crap )

If it motivates Papelbon to reach back a little further on his fastball to K Jeter and Arod in the ninth next weekend---that'll be enough revenge.

Over the last 40 years that Ive been involved 'the rivalry' seems to ebb and flo at a natural pace. For years it will be congenial, then it will slowly heat up again for another 2-3-5 years then die down again to normalcy.

It wasnt until the late coming national media got ahold of it about 5 or 6 years ago and forced it that it became really crazy and erratic.

To me its died down alot from 03-04 and has turned 99% respectful but pinheads like the Daily News stir it up to give the lemmings something to do and sell papers. Some of the more outlandish stories (from both sides ) are tragic, thankfully they are few, although one is too many.

Whether in sports or politics I wish I had some magic wand to keep journalists aware of the impact that they have --especially on the unstable elements--but I havent found it yet. Hopefully they'll drop the whole thing at some point as it is old now...(although I wont beholding my breath) and report on actual baseball...

The whole point of the Red Sox vs.Yankees is that they are two very very good baseball teams, that more often than not step up play against each other a notch and play incredibly exciting and exhilirating games against each other.

Isnt that enough?

It's enough for me. Always has been.

It's amazing to me how people are affected by schlocky 'journalism'. As bad as they mess with sports, it's scary when you realize it's the same tactics for presidential races, and other 'real life' matters.

Overall, I still feel the good outweighed the bad last night. The presence of Yogi will squelch all negativity.

was that the Miller commercial Rock?

I agree with Yogi showing (its always good to see Yogi!) Killebrew, Brock, Tony Perez, of course Hammerin Hank, Frank Robinson, Willie and the rest all on one field at the same time made me into the same geeky 12 year old as you...

There was a good article in the GLOBE today on Josh Hamilton.

Im glad the nation got to see him closeup--he certainly deserves it

Hamilton was super, man

NEW YORK - Out of the right-field stands came a chant perfect for New York. With the lights shining down, and the focus on the man at the plate, just about everyone in Yankee Stadium was standing and cheering, waiting for the next bomb to fly off the bat of the night's darling. So it came - "Ho-ly [expletive], ho-ly [expletive]" - an expression of how the crowd felt, how the players felt, probably how Josh Hamilton himself felt.

"We're professionals, we all play this game, it's how we make a living," Rangers teammate Milton Bradley said yesterday, the day after the Home Run Derby at the All-Star Game. "For a minute, we stopped being players and started being fans. Everybody was sitting down and watching the home runs and clapping and cheering, real calm about it. He took like two swings and everybody jumped up."

Everybody. From those lounging on the ground in foul territory to the ones jumping and screaming like kids, the rest of the All-Stars seemed happy just to have a front-row seat. They hopped up, watching and pounding each other's backs, exuberance and elation pouring out. And the home runs kept coming, Hamilton blowing through the first round to obliterate the field with a record 28 homers.

"That was awesome," the Red Sox' Jason Varitek said. "How often do you see me freakin' stand up and freakin' yell? That one that hit the back wall, I stood up and yelled."

There were pauses, Hamilton giving an autograph to a kid watching on the National League side, posing for a photo with Bradley, and getting a sign of respect from Edinson Volquez (for whom Hamilton was traded in the offseason). Maybe Hamilton even dropped back and wondered how all this was happening. How he got to this point, after the drug-addled lows he had experienced, how he had the strength to break Bobby Abreu's first-round record and win himself a place in the hearts of notoriously hardened New Yorkers.

"Laying down on the field, watching these balls just launch off his bat," Rangers second baseman Ian Kinsler said, "it was almost a surreal moment when he hit [13] in a row. Everyone in the stadium was just in awe of the moment. I mean, you don't see it very often in a home run derby when both sides are standing, watching a guy hit."

Many will claim they witnessed the scene, though fewer than 60,000 did.

"It was a long day; I'm glad I stayed," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. "You're going to have a million people say they were there. And I was. And I didn't miss one of them."

Hamilton was Superman. He was scintillating. He was better than anyone could have imagined. And when, really, does that happen?

"That's what everybody in the Derby was waiting to watch," said Minnesota's Justin Morneau of Hamilton's show of power. "He was the guy they were excited to see. I had one of the best seats in the house. I was jumping out of my seat I was getting so excited."

And that's from the guy who actually won. Ask most anyone - whether they attended or not - who won the 2008 Home Run Derby, and they'll probably say Josh Hamilton. Not quite, the exhaustion catching up with him in the final round, when he bowed to Morneau.

But it didn't matter. The first round, the amazement and the awe, and the balls nearly hit out of Yankee Stadium, already had been imprinted in people's minds.

"If you know Josh at all, you know he's not about himself," Bradley said. "He started hitting those home runs, he wasn't like, 'I want to dazzle these people.' He was right there with them emotionally. He was just trying to give them more. He was giving them a rush.

"It was probably a good high for him - not the kind of high he was getting, but a good high."

was that the Miller commercial Rock?

...the skyboxes, up in section La De Dah...

...common sense, this is YOUR wake up call, GIT yo but up!

...hi-life housekeeping...

I think those commerncials are the coolest I've ever seen. They don't make me wanna buy Miller High Life, but they sure are entertaining. :)

I also loved that they played the music from "The Natural" while he was batting... he is Roy Hobbs... and I don't know if you guys caught it or not (we are kind of lucky in that we get saturated with him here) but after his FIRST home run he turned to the catcher and said "this is awesome"...

Here's what Gammons wrote on ESPN:

Hamilton an inspiration in so many ways

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

NEW YORK -- One of the best things about baseball is that someone else comes along and recreates being the hero. Out of the embers of the Black Sox scandal came Babe Ruth. As a nation regrouped between World War II and the Korean War, Jackie Robinson bravely changed the face of sports and American society.

After the strike that canceled the 1994 World Series and led to the coldest winter, along came Cal Ripken, the dignity and might of the Joe Torre/Derek Jeter/Mariano Rivera Yankees, and then the summer of '98 with Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa. And when that entire era went to black and the waste depository of the BALCO and aging clinics, Jose Canseco and gopher slimeballs reached the desk of George Mitchell and millions wondered if they could ever trust the sport again. There were 55,000 people at Yankee Stadium on Monday night -- most of whom knew less about Josh Hamilton than Darrell Rasner -- chanting Hamilton's name and rooting for a new hero.

Every revelation about Roger Clemens' past and every "collusion" noise that comes out of some parrot's beak has emphasized the need to move forward. That is why no team has signed Barry Bonds, who can still impact any lineup -- owners and general managers understandably don't want to talk about the past. They want to try to move on into an era with drug testing, in whatever form the morphed sport takes.

Two months ago, a general manager said we are watching the unfurling of two dramas we have never before seen in our lifetime, and may never see again. One is Rick Ankiel, who has played less than two years as a position player and is so good a center fielder and everyday player that he certainly could have been here for the All-Star Game, what with 20 homers, 50 RBIs, an .880 OPS and the defensive show he has put on in center field. To overcome his pitching nightmare of the 2000 playoffs, then after six years to become a hitter, and then overcome a blown-out knee … few players are better inspiration for the capacity to never back down or give up.

By now, Hamilton's story of overcoming demons is two blocks from Hollywood. Oh, it's easy to give it a Nancy Reagan "he made a choice" and so on and so on and so on and so on, but the fact is that millions of people in this country get addicted to drugs and ruin their lives. Hamilton beat his demons and is a hero for millions trying to fight back. Steve Buckley wrote about one such person in this morning's Boston Herald, a pitcher from Peabody, Mass., named Jeff Allison, a one-time Marlins No. 1 draft pick whose life landed in the breakdown lane, out of baseball; he nearly died. A month ago, Allison made the Florida State League All-Star team, and while his comeback is a work in progress, he is pitching and living and succeeding, and when Buckley talked to him about Hamilton, Allison credited Hamilton with being his role model and inspiration.

Long after Yankee Stadium had emptied Monday night, Hamilton sat in front of his locker, answering to everything past and present and future. Told about Allison's story, Hamilton said, "I have heard of him, I'd like to be in touch. I hope I meet him. I hope I hit against him one day."

Our heroes can be flawed. The Babe certainly was. Hamilton never stops reminding us that he, too, is flawed and that he's not ashamed to admit it and never will stop fighting.

Josh Hamilton turned the page in his life, and Monday night he helped baseball begin the long, dry healing process of turning the page on the Dark Ages.

Baseball is not about corporate boxes and extracting licensing pennies from poor kids or taxpayer dollars donated to construct ballparks to help billionaires make millions. It is about Babe Ruth changing the sports culture, Jackie Robinson changing America and Cal Ripken changing lives. Baseball has always been able to turn the page because of someone and something always grew up out of the rubble, and Josh Hamilton began the process of turning the page on Monday night.

It is unbelievable what he has done, and now the nation knows it. Hamilton matters and when we saw his friends like Milton Bradley, Ian Kinsler and Michael Young embrace the moment and the future, we saw the awe and the appreciation in their eyes.

These are not the best of times in America, but we look at baseball and see Ankiel. We see what Jose Reyes and Hanley Ramirez have overcome to reach stardom. We see an Athletics pitcher named Brad Ziegler come back from two fractured skulls and take a run at the record for most shutout innings to begin a career. And then we watch 55,000 New Yorkers standing and chanting Josh Hamilton's name. We are reminded that baseball can help us remember what we stand for, not against, what we believe, not what we fear, and that while we learn from the past, what we all want is to open the door to the future.

Here's what it was like to be in the crowd Monday night... complete with the "Holy Sh1t" chant...

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

I feel like the guy in the 70's who said "I have seen the future of Rock and Roll and his name is Bruce Springsteen"

At the homeless shelter where I volunteer I already have a bunch of articles and pictures of Hamilton up on the bulletin board, taped to the refrigerator and up on the walls....I know alot of people struggling and fighting drugs, alcohol, and seemingly insurmountable problems. Its incredible to have someone like Hamilton there to point to...

As exciting as all those Homeruns were (Holy Sh!t!!, like Gammons says this goes way beyond baseball

It can be a worn out cliche but I ldamn love this game.

This indeed is awesome

anyone else catch "Costas Now" on HBO a while ago?

town hall meeting on Baseball... the last segment was with Willie Mays and Hank Aaron

good stuff (all of it)...

catch it if you can...

thanks, I'll look that up... I do get HMO, but don't usually watch Costas.

but I LOVE those Miller High Life spots... :)

Well... we've still got spotty pitching but... guess who's hitting a robust .314/.391/.494 in the month of July?

The stRangers' offense.

And they've done that against the Yankees, Orioles, Angels, and White Sox, at that.

Hope the Break won't turn out to cool this thing off.

...and I think we get the pleasure of the Angels and White Sox on the road pretty soon ...take a trip to Anaheim hiway!

anyone else catch "Costas Now" on HBO a while ago?

town hall meeting on Baseball... the last segment was with Willie Mays and Hank Aaron

good stuff (all of it)...

catch it if you can...

Wow Willie and Hank together??-Will do---

I had a tough choice last night between "Yankee Stadium-Baseballs Cathedral" and The Best Damn Hooters AllStars.

Two very enlightening and good shows!---Catch those if you can :)

314/.391/.494 in the month of July?

The stRangers' offense.

Yowza!---Its good to see you excited about the stRangers Tom--now you can start filling in a few gaps

the trading deadline could be real interesting this year in a few places...

I found this pretty good group of

New Yankee Stadium Pics (hit the slideshow button) Hiway will like the facade shots---its gonna be quite a place..

Yeah, I do like the facade shots. I also like the neighborhood shots. Last time I was in the Bronx, I noticed it looked a lot cleaner and livable than the slums in the 60's and 70's. It looks even better now. (It's still the south Bronx, I know).

I missed that Yankee Stadium show. Gotta look for that.

I also need to get HBO again. I canceled it after the Sopranos, to save a few bucks (I'm somehow paying MORE now, by some convuluted cable pricing).

thats true about the neighborhood--Its not as bad as it used to be---not great--but it used to be downright scary when i was younger and on 'enemy turf'

Hopefully they'll show it again on ESPN-- It had all the great moments from the original building and opening until this all star game... I liked it and Im supposed to pretend I hate the place :)

It was a little overdone (they could have taken out ALCS game 7 2003-Aaron Boone for me..) but most of it was actually pretty moving (Gehrigs speech of course, Ruth, Yogi, Dimaggio, Mantle, Maris, up til today-plus the title fights, football, the Pope, and some good interviews.

I just looked and see its already out on DVD

LINK

You could probably rent it soon, if you dont put it in the Hiway library

P1917959.jpg

hard to believe its going....going...

I suppose I should at least go down and get some dirt...

Edited by mstar1

Just ordered the Yankee Stadium dvd, thanks.

Hey, I'm a fan of Fenway. There are a few highlights I could live without on a Fenway dvd, myself, of course.

So a decision had to be made. I can do one trip back east this year, either to get to the Stadium, or Thanksgiving with family and friends.

People won out over the ballpark, but not until I thought about this.

My last visit to Yankee Stadium was in 2003. They were out of town, but I took the Stadium tour with my best friend from childhood, Tom. I finally got into the clubhouse, dugout, monuments, walked the tunnel, the field. That night we went to a Mets game.

I saw Tom one more time, meeting in Philadelphia and going to a Phillies game.

Tom passed away in 2004. His wife asked me to do the memorial. He was my constant friend from childhood, and I miss him every day.

Anyway-I decided that the day we took the Stadium tour together, is as fitting a sendoff to the place as I can think of for me. When I can catch some time, I'll dig out some pictures from that day (though I still gotta learn how to post em-sheesh)

Trading deadline will be interesting around here... don't know if we'll be buyers or sellers... believe it or not, Nolan Ryan has been a big influence on the team and the direction as opposed to the figurehead we all thought he'd be... NR likes the team the way it is and doesn't want to sacrifice what has gelled this year-he wants to be an informed buyer... then there's Jon Daniels who (as mstar knows) has made a little name for himself by taking chances on 'forgotten' players who have great first halves and turning them into 'the future' (see Gagne and Lofton of last year)... this year's crop is Guardado (everyday Eddie) and Bradley... most of the fans don't want to see Bradley go, it's a really good fit for him here, Guardado is the only 'sure thing' out of the bullpen and a good 'teaching influence' on the pitching youngsters... we'll see...

one thing's for sure, no one around here wants to "rent a player" for the last half, we're (hopefully) starting to see the future now...

starman! could we interest you in Blalock? ...he's been playing first base during this rehab assignment. The plan was to move him to first when he came back because Vasquez (our utility guy) was/is doing so well at third but then we brought up Chris Davis at first and he's hit the ground running or should I say hit the ball out of the park running... so how about it? Blalock can play first for y'all!

Im sure hes just great

but... Um... Youkilis just started the AllStar game...(and won the gold glove last year)

Sean Casey his backup is hitting around .370

and the third first baseman is some guy named Ortiz who looks like hes coming back in a week or so--I heard he's not bad

I think we're all set on firstbasemen for now! but one never knows.

You guys are right on the cusp--although it may be the wise thing to do for the long run Id be surprised if youre sellers. It would do that franchise good to finish up very close, if not actually in the playoffs which at this point you could (Hello colorado Rockies) if the cards fell right...

Hiway-that sounds like a very fitting and good way to remember the stadium.

RIP Tom..

If you do ever find those photos I'd love to see them----(I upload mine to photobucket.com which has complete near idiotproof instructions).

If I do get down there before its all over I'll try to grab you some final momento--

Id like to get this from the yankee clubhouse runway, but it would take some ingenuity as about a million other people are probably thinking about it as well.

2265281611_281cb1ac99.jpg

If I had Jason Bourne and the Impossible Missions Force --maybe

but if anything its most likely gonna be dirt...

I took a picture of that sign , too. My guess is that some fortunate soul will glom that sign. Probably everything and anything will be claimed-that's a major prize, there, though!

Many thanks for the momento, thought ! I won't hold you to it, of course, but I appreciate the thought. Hey, ya never know !

---Im sure almost everything will be gone after the last game----now THAT will be quite a scene!

Knowing some NYers, im pretty sure there are some elaborate plans already in place... :biglaugh:

In that DVD they showed the Chambliss HR that won the pennant in the 70s--as he hit it people were rushing the field--you can see someone grabbing first base right out of the ground and making off with it immediately after he a passed it,--- by the time he was near second it was a football game -he was completely surrounded and kept getting knocked down -he may have touched third, then went to the dugout to save his life....

they interviewed him and he said he got a police escort to go touch home but by the time he got there home plate was gone!

Heres the last game before the renovation--This is a family with two young kids making off with seats!!..I can only imagine what the rowdier NY elements were doing..

yankees080714_2_560.jpg

I have alittle piece of the Green Monster and some dirt from the Field of Dreams here at my desk and part of a seat from Fenway stashed away.

Im gonna have to think about this one.... :evildenk::spy:

hmmm ..How the hell could I get the foul pole that Mark Bellhorn hit in game 7 '04 out of there?

Edited by mstar1