GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

The way things have been going for me and just about everyone I know Im pretty sure we have entered some bizarro something or other. It would make perfect sense that you'd get to be a Manny fan.

The first 50 games or in '01 he had 65+RBI's and I honestly couldn't remeber any situation for the first 2-3 months I saw him where he DIDNT drive in a clutch RBI--I was hooked right then--if he happened to walk off second to talk to the shortstop and got tagged out, or forgot how many outs there were --that was just part of the package that became lovable over time....you knew a 490 foot blast to rightcenter on an impossible down and in pitch would come soon enough....

He's in his own world and it took some time around here to undertsand his rhythms and to get used to it..and what it was... I really hope there is enough time for him to do his thing in LA and for you guys to see it-Its tons of fun and the just the pure joy of baseball when he is on----of course he could also be the second coming of Nomar too--nobody really knows--

It would be good for Manny and good for all of LA if he ignites though....i wish you guys didnt play so late I wanna watch!

Edited by mstar1

Its been a helluva few weeks--I got food poisoning about 10 days ago, then contracted Lyme Disease last weekend, then Manny got traded.... :(

This will all pass, but Im still stunned...

I better start sending in my ABS to Tom or something.. <_<

I'd be happy to facilitate godly distribution of your ABS for you! :spy:

Don't have a cow... but I had a coronary, and it wasn't about Manny going to the trolley dodgers!

Fortunately, the Dbacks have been playing well lately (probably -- at least in part -- because they again have Tony Clark in the clubhouse)... so, it MIGHT be too late for the Dodgers anyway (I hope so anyway)... but if the Dbacks can win this series with the Dodgers, that might make it a bit harder for those in Blue to over take the snakes.

hey, I'm thinking I may become a Manny fan-which makes me wonder if we're living on the Bizarro world now !

There are times when home runs in Dodger Stadium are as rare as a Gagne save.Of course it doesn't hurt to have players that can actually hit them !

I'll keep you posted on any Manny news you may not get otherwise, mstar.

Speaking of Gagne, I was watching the Cubs/Brewers game yesterday on WGN as I was waiting to be unchained from the ICU and Gagne takes the mound for some mop up time with the Cubs ahead 9-1. On a 3-0 pitch to Edmonds (who had homered twice earlier in the game) the first batter of the inning, Gagne throws behind Edmonds. The ump didn't hesitate even so much as to breathe before giving the ol' heave ho to Master Eric. Pretty quick meltdown for the hairy youngster, I'd say...

He's in his own world and it took some time around here to undertsand his rhythms and to get used to it..and what it was... I really hope there is enough time for him to do his thing in LA and for you guys to see it-Its tons of fun and the just the pure joy of baseball when he is on----of course he could also be the second coming of Nomar too--nobody really knows--

It would be good for Manny and good for all of LA if he ignites though....i wish you guys didnt play so late I wanna watch!

Hey!!! I heard that!!!! :P

I just wish the stRangers were in the NL West... we'd be in the playoffs for sure!

A likely story...

reminds me of the time -- on the golf course -- I hit a nice 4wood t-shot that went straight at the pin... but was a bit too strong... I made some sort of "if I had done... it would have..." statement. Was playing a round with a friend and another twosome we didn't know... the one guy barked out, "yeah, but you didn't!"

Yeah, but they're NOT!

...but if they were you and hiway would at least get to see some nice home run shows!

Heard them talking on the radio today... they were talking about all of the young pitchers and position players we have that have made their big league debuts this year... it seems that this is for the most part the effect of Nolan Ryan (we were wondering what he was gonna be doing)... his philosophy is if a player is doing pretty well at whatever level he is at then he should be moved up and challenged... if they're a position player and they have any trouble once they get here, Ron Washington takes them under his wing... if they are a pitcher, they get Nolan Ryan and Art Howe talking to them... he's in the stands most nights sitting by the dugout (he doesn't stay in the air conditioned suite)... he's right there.

If I'm a young pitcher making my big league debut I think it would be pretty neat to have Nolan Ryan rooting for me and talking to me about my mental approach, etc.

Going to your first ball game must be a boy's rite of passage, right?

Tonight Kristopher, who is now 7 years old, has gone to see the Manchester Fisher Cats with his dad... Andreas and I are holding down the fort but I can't wait to hear what Kris thinks of his first real ball game! :dance:

Kris woke up at 6AM this morning just buzzing with excitement about the game! Oh, to be 7 years old!!!

FisherCatsLogo.gif

That's great Chas! and yes, it is a right of passage... minor league games are great for anyone but especially for the youngsters... sounds like he's jazzed, I hope he has a good experience... baseball won't let him down! ...we could all use a little baseball!

They're playing the Connecticut Defenders tonight and Kristopher is gonna get a free football if he's among the first 1,000 kids! (why not a baseball?)

Edited by Tom Strange

the Manchester Fisher cats sounds like a place I'd like to be !

I love living by Dodger Stadium, but you can't beat those great minor league parks for fun.

I went to a Bridgeport Bluefish game in CT a few years ago, and bought a t shirt. Iwas wearing it at the gym in Pasadena, when a guy noticed it who turned out to be the son of my 4th grade teacher ! Looked just like him, too.

FisherCatsLogo.gif

That's great Chas! and yes, it is a right of passage... minor league games are great for anyone but especially for the youngsters... sounds like he's jazzed, I hope he has a good experience... baseball won't let him down! ...we could all use a little baseball!

They're playing the Connecticut Defenders tonight and Kristopher is gonna get a free football if he's among the first 1,000 kids! (why not a baseball?)

Both he and dad got the football - he called me on John's cell phone to tell me the news. He's thrilled, of course!

It's 10PM and they're not home yet... they're having a blast, I'm sure!

Hopefully Chas he'll be talking about "the game" for days and want to go right back... if you guys can swing it, it's a great thing for a father and son to do... AND you and the little one, too!

tonight we start our 13th pitcher of the year, the 7th making his major league debut!

What I meant to say there was "13th starting pitcher and 7th starting pitcher making his debut... we've used 27 pitchers now...

The kid did all right considering he started the year in A ball... gave up 6 runs combined in the second and third (us behind 6-0) but by the time he left after 5 it was all tied 6-6.

Now freakin' CJ Wilson has given up two in the top of the ninth... wait... the stRangers just scored 3 runs to win in the bottom, 9-8...

...if we only had some (consistent) pitching

(yes, we'll still be here talking baseball... the great game!)

So far ManRam has been no factor in his first game as a Trolley Dodger... unless you count letting a Chris Snyder bloop drop in front of him for a base hit... Snyder later scored the second run for the Dbacks who now lead 2-1. Both starters are out of the game... Chan Ho is on the hook for the loss and the Big Unit is in line, at this point, for the win.

But Manny's dreads sure look good in Dodger Blue.

So far ManRam has been no factor in his first game as a Trolley Dodger... unless you count letting a Chris Snyder bloop drop in front of him for a base hit... Snyder later scored the second run for the Dbacks who now lead 2-1. Both starters are out of the game... Chan Ho is on the hook for the loss and the Big Unit is in line, at this point, for the win.

But Manny's dreads sure look good in Dodger Blue.

Bottom of the 9th:

Russell Martin singles to lead off.

Manny grounds into a 6-4-3. 2 outs.

Kent out F-4, game over.

Win number 293 for the Big Unit.

Good for Kristopher!--I remember my very first game, I was so excited I was pretty sure that my heart was going to beat right out of my chest for about a week beforehand and it lasted until.....well ....Im still here. :)

Welcome to the club kid!! Cmon aboard! Its the best game in the world...

Sox won the first game of the Jason Bay era 2-1 in 12, Bay scored both runs, made a webgem catch to save a run , played the wall very well and didnt stop to make even one cell call..

Welcome to the Bay State , Jason!

Iwas worried and in mourning most of yesterday but

Manny looks skinner, more 'in shape', in his new LAD uniform...

BTW, immediately following the game last night the stRangers fired their Pitching and Bullpen coaches... brought up the AAA pitching coach... paraphrasing El Presidente Ryan: "we're gonna be patient with our young pitchers, we want them to have the success here that they've had in the minors and we want them to learn and adjust here like they did in the minors"...

it hadn't been happening... we don't expect low ERAs when you pitch half your games at this place, but we do expect (or want) them to give up less runs than our opponents...

want them to give up less runs than our opponents...

Thats an excellent strategy :) i may have to remind our bullpen of that...

it sounds like Ryan is doing alot more than being the figurehead that some thought he was going to be when he ascended the throne --Good--- alittle shakeup can be agood thing.

Good to see things going well down there.

there was something symbolic about Bay tripling in the 12th yesterday and scoring the walkoff run, then watching Manny 6-4-3 to end the game in LA....

Its hard but it is move on time.

Im still in awe of his 8 years here, and am glad I got to see them. It was a phenomena. Lots of players have come here over the decades that promised to be the messiah who were never quite able to do what they were heralded to bring....Manny exceeded it--far exceeded it---, aside from his numbers I dont know if I'll ever see an athlete again that was as universally loved by his fans as he was..

There is a thread of great photos and remembrances HERE.

See you in cooperstown Manny--dont forget to show up that day!

I know what you mean... although we don't have the rings to go with it... it was kind of like that when Pudge left here, not only because he gave us so many great years but he was home grown... he'll be the first stRanger to go in the HOF I'm guessing.

Good for Bay last night... I think I forgot to mention who got the walk off for us last night... (that's right starman!)

While your thanking Theo for us you better tell him to let the team know not to test our outfielder's arms... hopefully, you'll get to see them try though!

You are going to see us when we're in town week after next aren't you?

Just heard LAD up 3-1 with a Manny homer...

we don't expect low ERAs when you pitch half your games at this place, but we do expect (or want) them to give up less runs than our opponents...

That's taken from something Millwood said when he first signed with us... I think he was coming off that season where he led the majors in ERA (among starters) and a reporter asked him if he wasn't worried about pitching here hurting his ERA... he just said words to the effect of 'I'm not worried about that, the other pitcher has to pitch here, too... I just have to allow fewer runs than he does.'

psst... Kevin... we're still waiting... come back off of the DL and do something for us this year (we currently have 8 pitchers on the DL)

wow... I just looked and we're almost at 200 pages and 4000 replies... good work folks!

uh-oh, just saw the seven day forecast, here it is (starts on Sunday) 107, 106, 102, 100, 101, 102, 101

and this isn't that "dry heat" like Rocky and Simon have... when I got home from golf (2 gatorades, 3 32oz cups of water while out... still haven't peed) the temperature in the shade on my patio was 108.3... kind of makes the 93 that it is right now feel comfortable... anyone want my electric bill?

wow... I just looked and we're almost at 200 pages and 4000 replies... good work folks!

uh-oh, just saw the seven day forecast, here it is (starts on Sunday) 107, 106, 102, 100, 101, 102, 101

and this isn't that "dry heat" like Rocky and Simon have... when I got home from golf (2 gatorades, 3 32oz cups of water while out... still haven't peed) the temperature in the shade on my patio was 108.3... kind of makes the 93 that it is right now feel comfortable... anyone want my electric bill?

Do you need any more freon? Blocks of ice for your backyard pool, perhaps?

devil10.gif

happy032.gif

Do you need any more freon? Blocks of ice for your backyard pool, perhaps?

a summer home up North?

Stay cool down there!

Jason Bay is looking good--Homered last night and has been on base 7 of 10 times so far..He looks like he doesnt seem to understand why all these people are cheering, going crazy, interviewing him all the time, and actually at a baseball game in the first place. He's a keeper

I see Manny saying after 18 hours in LA that he wanted to end his career there-- :rolleyes::biglaugh:

Glad to see he's happy

manny-math_01.jpg

Note the number of outs

Edited by mstar1

I was at the Dodger game last night. Manny owns LA right now. The home run was one of the sweetest I've seen at Dodger Stadium, and he also hit a rope up the middle. The fans are going crazy for a change, and Manny seems to be having fun.

I enjoyed watching him and Don Mattingly interact. They seemed to be deep in conversation throughout the game. Wish I had that bugged.

A fine night at the ballpark.

I was at the Dodger game last night. Manny owns LA right now. The home run was one of the sweetest I've seen at Dodger Stadium, and he also hit a rope up the middle. The fans are going crazy for a change, and Manny seems to be having fun.

If Manny is having fun-everybody will be having fun.

He's the only guy I have ever seen that no matter what the situation in the game, there is a very real excitement throughout the park that grows as he steps up to the plate.

I wont belabor the point but I miss him--

I miss the swing

610x.jpg

I miss him being goofy

071507_6434.jpg

and I miss moments like this

105e.jpg

I enjoyed watching him and Don Mattingly interact. They seemed to be deep in conversation throughout the game. Wish I had that bugged.

A fine night at the ballpark.

He certainly makes it look easy... but we all know it's certainly NOT easy.

Wierd play just now... Casey Blake knocked Chad Tracy's glove off as Tracy went to catch Blake's infield pop up... finally, after the umps conferred, Blake called out.