GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

thats a rarity these days!

They're young (experience wise) and learning some valuable lessons... our biggest hope is that Hicks will stay out of things and let El Presidente Ryan steer the ship... but at least we're playing meaningful games (for us) in August... we're only 5 out in the WC race... tonight another mid-season call up goes on the mound for us who at times looks good and at times looks lost... we'll see.

This is all good--whether it pays off this year--or a year or two from now these games are invaluable for these young guys--(and the veterans too for that matter) I dont know how they hold it together in that heat down there--i really dont--but there is nothing like meaningful games to see what players are made of....

no sign of the Rays fading yet....awesome season so far ---but Im waiting and waiting for a 4 or 5 game losing streak that just hasnt seemed to happen yet that will bunch up the whole AL East.

(damn--still in Manny withdrawal/denial..)

Newberg has a line that he's used a few times this year:

It's not about this season... it is about tonight.

We've been kind of jaded with the "we're building" line around here... not because we (the fans) don't understand it but because Hicks always does something to detour it... we (the fans) just hope that he will defer to Nolan (and Daniels) now... it's our only hope. Hicks is not a well liked man.

Here's a pic from last night... you'd have thought they just won the world series or something... but it's 25 guys pulling for each other, this is the reception our fourth OF got at home.

ARL119080500_1024x768.jpg

Ian Kinsler was just on the radio talking about the team, the game, etc. One of the things he said was "...we don't ever feel like we're out of it, we have faith in each other."

Also from Newberg this morning:

As you know, I’ve been on a kick all season, actually dating back to March in Surprise, suggesting that Ian Kinsler was becoming Brenden Morrow, for a hundred reasons that I don’t need to reissue now.

Let me ask you this.

If you were having an MVP season, not your third or fourth one of those but an unquestioned breakthrough season in which you had shed the “solid player” label in favor of consistent placement on anyone’s list of the players having the best years in the game, and you were in the midst of your first real slump of the season, one that has you at 4 for your last 31 trips (.129) in the space of a homestand that could end up defining where this team is headed in 2008, what would the look on your face be like at the end of a game like last night’s?

If you were a Leader, it would look like this, captured by the great Sharon M. Steinman of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

99-Tarrant.Main.Sports_04.IMG2_08-05-2008_Tarrant_OJO9LOH.embedded.prod_affiliate.58.jpg

(thanks for indulging me boys... it's nice to watch a team that is exciting and has FUN)

That's Milton Bradley (ever see him like that in LA?), 'everyday' Eddie Guardado (closing, striking out guys with his 85 mph heat) and Ian Kinsler.

Ian Kinsler was just on the radio talking about the team, the game, etc. One of the things he said was "...we don't ever feel like we're out of it, we have faith in each other."

No question that makes for exciting baseball!!!

It's not about this season... it is about tonight.

I have to be reminded from time to time but there is no better place on earth than the moment and that is really where baseball and life is played.and won...If you can stay right there .make each at bat a quality at bat, make each pitch a quality pitch and every play a quality play --the season will take care of itself

yeah... our guys all season long have had their main goals as win the game, win the series... win the game, win the series.

22 year old Matt Harrison, making his 4th major league start, outpitched Pettite tonight and lasted longer... currently 8-2 after 7.

oh... and that thing with the umps squeezing our pitcher and being liberal with theirs? it's happening again tonight... Rupe threw 5 strikes to Jeter with the bases loaded and 2 outs.. fortunately he lined to Kinsler...

I have to be reminded from time to time but there is no better place on earth than the moment and that is really where baseball and life is played.and won...If you can stay right there .make each at bat a quality at bat, make each pitch a quality pitch and every play a quality play --the season will take care of itself

That worked for Brandon Webb and the Dbacks tonight!!! Webb got his 16th win of the season.

Glad to see your all having fun in Texas! Its about time --you guys have waited long enough!

I'll get back to "the moment" in a moment

HERES some off field news that Im not liking...

In 1973, George Steinbrenner paid $10 million to buy the New York Yankees, a team now worth $1.3 billion, according to Forbes. His heirs have a chance to coin money much faster once the team moves into its new stadium next year.

The team's revenues—already the highest in the sport, at an estimated $327 million last year—are poised to double almost immediately.

Doubling?

I'll wait til the offseason to figure out what it means--but I can already smell MY ticket prices which are already off the charts, skyrocketing even further

supply and freaking demand... I know what you feel like mstar, we have the NFL version here... have you heard what the PSLs cost at the new stadium that we (not so affectionately) call "Jerry World"? When you put a "quality" team on the field for 15 years straight in the largest metro area in the country you can pretty much "print money"...

After CJ Wilson "pitched" the 8th inning last night (walk, HBP, walk, grand slam to freaking Sexton) he's on the DL with bone spurs in his elbow... when Washington came out to get him he left the mound before Wash got there and flipped him the ball... Wash gave him the ball back and made him come back to the mound and hand him the ball properly... little things, little things... they're adding up.

Glad to see your all having fun in Texas! Its about time --you guys have waited long enough!

I'll get back to "the moment" in a moment

HERES some off field news that Im not liking...

Doubling?

I'll wait til the offseason to figure out what it means--but I can already smell MY ticket prices which are already off the charts, skyrocketing even further.

First off, that's the Yankees, not the Sox. And the snippet from Forbes doesn't provide any of the specifics of the economics of the situation, so it's hard to tell even what the article is even predicting, if anything, specific.

The implied cause/effect -- new stadium/doubled revenue -- doesn't directly impact the Sox or any other MLB team.

Will the game be more costly for fans next year? Of course... but by how much?

I wasnt implying it was the Sox BUT being in the same division and being forced to compete, Im pretty sure the Sox'll be looking for ways to increase revenues (even though they squeeze every conceivable nickel already) to ensure staying competitive.

FWIW they have dropped salaries over the last few years and with Manny and Schilling gone, next year is already 28 million lighter. Hopefully the youth movement will continue and overall payroll will stay someplace reasonable--That and Bill james comes up with some magic ..and cheap...formula

Tonight we have another 22 year old, Tommy Hunter, who is making his second major league start against Sidney (good riddance) Ponson... let's see if the magic continues...

we'll try and help your boys out again mstar...

Thank you!

Glad to hear that the magic is happening somewhere.Its made a nice stop here for a few years off and on but it is certainly elusive at the moment...

Ortiz isnt the same without Manny behind him (and publicly saying so..) Lowell is playing damn near crippled, Julio Lugo has been on the DL for weeks, Ellsbury who through May looked like the Rookie of the Year has been knocked hard to the ground,Drew has cooled off and any one of you guys could hit better than Varitek. Schilling who hasnt pitched an inning all year is still spouting off daily about Manny STFU!! already on the radio

On the plus side I'd take 9 Dustin Pedroias and Kevin Youkilis's anyday I could get them, Jed Lowrie has been great filling in for Lugo at short and Jon Lester was pitcher of the month for July..Jason Bay is looking good but I miss those long dreadlocks and the anticipation when you saw him walk to the on deck circle..

Right now,, its OK, but its not happening.

I guess these are just the dog days-and a lot of adjustments are necessary--I give em around two weeks to find their groove because they're certainly not in it now....

Things can change on a dime i know but if they drag on much longer like this ...pffft...it'll be a long winter

I wasnt implying it was the Sox BUT being in the same division and being forced to compete, Im pretty sure the Sox'll be looking for ways to increase revenues (even though they squeeze every conceivable nickel already) to ensure staying competitive.

That's kinda what I thought... which is what I meant by my reference to direct impact...

btw, Dbacks almost got no-hit this afternoon by one of the guys from that big trade last week that sent Nady to the NYY... Karstens.

The Big Unit pitched VERY well again but lost 2-0.

pffffflt---

baseball is a great game but a crazy game...

everything was lining up according to plan--spending my time figuring how to tweak the lineup a little

and out of nowhere...

stupid sh!t

just stupid sh!t

completely stupid sh!t

:asdf:

now

7 million dollars

PLUS

A rookie outfielder hitting .300 with power

PLUS

a 24 yo who throws 98

PLUS

the 2 draft choices they would have gotten for Manny

PLUS

my favorite player of all time

are all gone

for

Jason Bay

Yea Bays good but It would have been nice to get some parts we actually needed, instead of breaking up the Ruth and Gehrig of our time.

Im having a real hard time watching em right now--

I think Im gonna go watch little league for awhile

don't complain now mstar!

I'll try-- It might take me awhile

I really hate stupid sh!t

Edited by mstar1

Tom's Gehrig joke made me laugh. Good one.

I have to say that after one weekend, I understand Mstar's,Manny love more than in all the years he's talked about it. Of course, I'm seeing Manny on his best behavior, hitting a ton, and bringing life to a franchise that usually just wallows in mediocrity. A couple of days in St Louis prove that Manny can't do it by himself, even hitting over .600.

The Angels are worlds better than the Dodgers, but are forgotten in Manny Mania. Incredibly, I hear more about people still peeved about the LA Angels name, both from those in LA proper, and those in Anaheim, who feel slighted. Maybe they should have just stayed the California Angels.

My opinion is that I never heard a complaint when the LA Rams played in Angels Stadium, so why is this different ?

Rays vs Dbacks in the WS ? Could happen. The all-expansion team series- from the same year even.

They began as the LA Angels, but they were in the middle of LA then. Theyplayed in 'Wrigley Field', near he Farmers Market, where I THINK the Hollywood Stars played before. Many baseball scenes in movies were filmed there, and the Home Run Derby program, which ESPN reran , many years ago, with such no names as Mickey Mantle, and Hank Aaron.

The Angels even shared Chavez Ravine for a couple of years, which is somewhat like when the St Louis Browns shared the same park with the Cardinals.

For your viewing pleasure

Home Run Derby - 1959 - Mickey Mantle Vs Willie Mays -Wrigley Field, LA

Part 2

have to say that after one weekend, I understand Mstar's,Manny love more than in all the years he's talked about it.

I dont know if its charisma or how you would exactly define it, you're getting it all now-- Manny is just fun, There is a lot of the childhood joy of baseball with him around that too often eludes the sometimes much too serious 'professionals'.

Edited by mstar1

I dont know if its charisma or how you would exactly define it, you're getting it all now-- Manny is just fun, There is a lot of the childhood joy of baseball with him around that too often eludes the sometimes much too serious 'professionals'.

He probably has (and therefore IS) so much fun because baseball is so natural to him... which, of course, is a good thing... but not so much for the Dbacks. :)