GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

starman, Murphy to the DL after his collision with Pudge last night...
i was watching on ESPN when that happened last night-- that was one brutal and strange collision for both of them--Im used to occasionally seeing guys get bowled over but when the hit like two immovable walls. I knew that couldnt be good--Hopefully they'll both ( er make that Murphy....my guys need all the help they can get) will be back soon...
He probably has (and therefore IS) so much fun because baseball is so natural to him... which, of course, is a good thing.
He is a natural and has the most natural swing Ive ever seen--but contrary to popular opinion Manny works very hard, to me alot of it is his demeanor and natural humanness or as Tom was saying afew posts back being in the moment. ...........

Im growing really sick of the whole thing, Bud Selig is investigating the trade now to see if the whole thing was on the up and up or if Boras played Manny and the Red Sox to get him out of his option years.

That and another board that I go to (people'd by among others a certain big mouth pitcher) is developing some nasty racial undertones.

Problems that I hadnt seen visible in these parts for a number of years are coming back.

I just want to watch baseball. I waited along time for the Red Sox to come to their golden era and for all I know it could be over now. (In case you forgot-the last time they traded away a fun loving, problem child slugging baseball savant it took them 86 years to recover) There is a lot happening under the covers right now which doesnt look good or feel right. Im finding them hard to watch right now---sort of like a girlfriend youve had for years who went over the line that you still care about--just cant bear to be around her right now...I have some things to sort out before I go back to where I just got a knife through the heart

Loves a good thing but boy it sucks sometimes --I'll get over it, until then Im watching the Sox from a distance..I watched a good little league game last night, The Rangers/Yanks the night before.

The Olympics are here-maybe I'll get distracted by beach volleyball or something for a few weeks until I feel normal again

Looks like MLB IS gearing up to start trying out instant replay. They showed some of the equipment last night during the game at Chase Field. I understand it will be at only 5 stadiums at first and Chase is one of them...

That sounds ugly over there, Mstar. I haven't been keeping track, but it's sad if the racial thing is rearing it's ugly head. I haven't heard that about Boston since the Jim Rice days, and thought it history.

I'm almost feeling guilty having Manny in my backyard. Not TOO guilty, as he hit his 4th homerun since joining the Dodgers yesterday.That's 2 more than Dodger left fielders combined had hit all year !

It was an ugly situation and a weird trade, but just what is Selig planning on doing ? He's going to stop the Boras monster ? How ? Reneg on the trade ? That would go over great in LA and I'm sure Manny would love to be ordered back to Boston. If not, who's he going to fine ?

I would love to see Boras tarred and feathered and run out of baseball, but I don't see Mr Selig being the one to do it.

I doubt that that there is even a .000000000000001 % chance that Selig would ever do anything

but FWIW HERE is a link.

Feeling a little duped, Red Sox Nation? Still wondering if this whole thing was on the level?

You are not alone. The commissioner's office is investigating the circumstances of Manny's final hours with the Red Sox. The Globe has learned (from a source with direct knowledge of the inquiry) that Bud Selig directed Major League Baseball executive vice president Rob Manfred to contact all parties for an explanation of how things unfolded around last week's trading deadline. According to the source, Manfred has yet to report back to the commissioner.

Here's why Selig's office is looking into the matter:

The Red Sox had an option to retain Ramírez in 2009 for $20 million. They had the same option for 2010. Ramírez, who will turn 37 next season, wanted to be a free agent at the end of this season. His agent wanted the same thing. Boras inherited Ramírez's old contract and stood to earn nothing until Manny signed a new one. It was in the interest of the player and the agent to have the options dropped.

Manny's only leverage was withholding services and playing at half speed. So that's what he did.

Of course the story is coming from Dan Shaugnessy one of the handful of media hacks that demanded that the trade be made in the first place...In my book I'd run him, Gammons, and a few others as far away from baseball coverage as possible --like maybe a nice assignemnet in Fallujah--for stirring a nonexistent situation into this fiasco.

ANYWAY---- enough of that-

Whether its two months or five years, whether hes talking on his cell phoe, doing the wave with the fans or driving the ball 500 feet enjoy him while you can and enjoy the ride -you have a very special ballplayer on your hands..

-Im not happy right now--The Red Sox dont deserve me, Hell I want to be traded to the Dodgers :)

I think I'd mentioned in an earlier post that was what Manny wanted out of the deal with the Marlin.... Selig is somewhat of a jellyfish but I think he enjoys his position... and this (if it exists) may be being driven by the owners who, as far as I can tell, have no more love for Boras than we do... I can see him letting the deal go through with the option years staying in place though.

I heard of/saw something yesterday that gives me "good feelings"... Brandon McCarthy, a 6'7" RHP we got from the CWS in a trade for Danks last year is trying to get off of the 60 day DL and up to the big club. They're being patient with him but so far he hasn't been able to make the move. He was scratched from his last minor league start the other day and brought to town because he felt "something just wasn't right"... Well, they brought him in to spend a couple of days with Andy Hawkins and Jim Colborn (our new pitching and bullpen coaches, and yesterday while they were working on some stuff who walks down to the field from his office but El Presidente himself... he talks to them, listens to them and then starts showing McCarthy some stuff about mechanics (and specifically) the leg kick...

It seems that El Presidente Ryan has let everyone know that he's available for consultation on anything that the coaching staff might think he can help on and they took him up on it...

I don't know how it can be anything but good to a young pitcher (or any player) if Nolan Ryan wants to help you out with some advice/knowledge...

Hey, there are worse things than going to the Dodgers. You'd be welcome out here, Mstar, in fact it would be fun to take in some games with you while Manny is still here, without the Sox-Yanks feud.

I'm enjoying Manny while I've got him. Right now he's talking about wanting to end his career here, but I take that with a huge grain of salt.

Still, the reception for him has been like nothing I've seen, which has made Manny beam. I don't see McCourt wanting to see him go, as he's the best thing for business LA has had in many a year.

Still, the reception for him has been like nothing I've seen, which has made Manny beam. I don't see McCourt wanting to see him go, as he's the best thing for business LA has had in many a year.

I heard about the $125,000 in Manny shirt sales in the first 2 or 3 days. There is something electric about him that can energize a whole city and fan base--he did it in Cleveland, he definitely did it here and now you guys are getting a taste.

I dont know how many games Ive watched over the years that could be 13-2 in the eighth, I have to be somewhere but Im staying because Manny's coming up next inning. i dont remember any other player ever having that effect on me.

Owell

Right now I want to see it all continue and grow out there and watch the Dodgers to make the playoffs--just so you know what Ive been futilly trying to say on this board for the last umpteen years--and so I get to see him in playoff mode again-its abeautiful thang

Geez, Tom, I know you keep talking about how much the stRangers need pitching... but they picked up Dustin Nippert?

That's not just "need pitching," that's REALLY desperate for even BAD pitching! Looks like it's garbage time in Baltimore tonight...

Got a nice surprise this morning. Looks like I'm off to Anaheim for the Angels-Yankees.

With Lackey pitching, and the Yankees starting some AAA call up, my moneys on the halos.

It's a bit of a conflict for me. I like the Angels, and always pull for them when I go, but of course I can't root against the Yankees.

I'm going in wearing neutral colors, hoping the Yankees win as they need a win more, but mainly looking forward to a good game with some of baseball's best-which is something I haven't been able to say at most Dodger games.

The Angels have 2 of my favorite players in Torii Hunter, and Vlad, and the Yankees have my favorite player in Jeter. I think I'll just enjoy the game and not worry about it.

If I get really crazy, I may go across town to Disneyland afterwards.

Got a nice surprise this morning. Looks like I'm off to Anaheim for the Angels-Yankees.

With Lackey pitching, and the Yankees starting some AAA call up, my moneys on the halos.

It's a bit of a conflict for me. I like the Angels, and always pull for them when I go, but of course I can't root against the Yankees.

I'm going in wearing neutral colors, hoping the Yankees win as they need a win more, but mainly looking forward to a good game with some of baseball's best-which is something I haven't been able to say at most Dodger games.

The Angels have 2 of my favorite players in Torii Hunter, and Vlad, and the Yankees have my favorite player in Jeter. I think I'll just enjoy the game and not worry about it.

If I get really crazy, I may go across town to Disneyland afterwards.

Across town? When I took my daughter to Disneyland (in 2000), the stadium was only a couple of miles from the "happiest place on earth!"

I was very surprised the last time I saw Lackey-Ive nearly really seen that much in him before but he near no hit the Red Sox the last time in --and the Angels--just looked very very good---And even though some guys are having not their best years, Scioscia knows his team, gets the most out of them and plays them well..

I wouldnt be surprised to see a --what would you call it--it wouldnt be a subway series since theres no subway--a "Sunshine and Palm Tree Series"?

Well -I suppose i would be a little surprised, Im just irrationally hoping the Dodgers go on a good run...

Sounds like a great way to spend an August day in Ca. --If your goin' neutral wear your dreads! :biglaugh:

Hopefully you'll get something memorable, Jeter with the patented going away over the shoulder catch, or one of those long beautiful throws by Vlad from deep right to nail the runner at third... along with an interesting game..

have fun out there

I wouldnt be surprised to see a --what would you call it--it wouldnt be a subway series since theres no subway--a "Sunshine and Palm Tree Series"?

Well -I suppose i would be a little surprised, Im just irrationally hoping the Dodgers go on a good run...

That would be a "Freeway series"... and at this point, I'm NOT with you on that one! ;)

yeah... we've had our first four game losing streak of the season... seems our offense is taking some time off... it's gotten me to thinking that maybe two week homestands filled with 100+ degree days just might be a little draining on a body... maybe not...

Yeah, Nippert is one of our long relievers... about middle of the pack... thing about our pitching (starting and bullpen) is no consistency... one night everything will be great, hitting their locations, the next night... nothing.

so the offense picks them up... but I think they're a little physically tired... a lot of 'loose swings' tonight and the last couple of games...

It was a good game until the Yankees derailed completely in the 8th. sheesh.

The kid Griese (sic) held the Angels to 2 hits through 6, then was pulled for reasons unknown to me. I could smell a disaster looming at that point and wasn't disappointed.

Angel Stadium is some fun. Had great seats on the 'club' level, right next to the press box.The Angels are mighty strong, and if I were to pick, I'd pick 'em.

2 miles in Anaheim IS across town, and I scooted over to Dizzyland after the game. Between the raucous music piped at Angel Stadium, and the raucous music during the parade at the rat house, my ears could stand some rest.

I'll be back to see the Twins in a couple weeks.

All in all, a fine summer Saturday.

It was a good game until the Yankees derailed completely in the 8th. sheesh.

The kid Griese (sic) held the Angels to 2 hits through 6, then was pulled for reasons unknown to me. I could smell a disaster looming at that point and wasn't disappointed.

Angel Stadium is some fun. Had great seats on the 'club' level, right next to the press box.The Angels are mighty strong, and if I were to pick, I'd pick 'em.

2 miles in Anaheim IS across town, and I scooted over to Dizzyland after the game. Between the raucous music piped at Angel Stadium, and the raucous music during the parade at the rat house, my ears could stand some rest.

I'll be back to see the Twins in a couple weeks.

All in all, a fine summer Saturday.

I think the best thing at "Dizzyland" is that they have fireworks so often.... :) The "rat house" hahahaha...

And Tom... the Dbacks have just lost 3 straight to the Braves... the Dbacks offense took some time off also. :blink: :unsure: :(

Well I had a good Little League game yesterday watching the kids from Connecticut come back in the 6th against New Hampshire to clinch their spot in Williamsport in a good 2-1 win..

last week Manny wanted to end his career in LA, I see today he wants to sign with the Yankees---

Welcome to Manny World :)

When he went on a AAA rehab assignment a few years ago, he didnt want to come back because he really liked playing there---theres no telling what he'll want to do tomorrrow.

Red Sox finally beat a decent team in the White Sox, although I felt bad watching Jose Contreras going down with a ruptured achilles tendon--thats gotta hurt--not good for the WS either.

..after watching the opening Olympic ceremonies I wont be surprised if China rules the world sometime soon.

That ceremony would have made the ancient egyptians envious.

Edited by mstar1

..after watching the opening Olympic ceremonies I wont be surprised if China rules the world sometime soon.

That ceremony would have made the ancient egyptians envious.

I thought they already did (do), economically speaking...

That WAS certainly an impressive opening... I hope you got to watch it in HD... it was truly awe inspiring.

I heard about the $125,000 in Manny shirt sales in the first 2 or 3 days. There is something electric about him that can energize a whole city and fan base--he did it in Cleveland, he definitely did it here and now you guys are getting a taste.

I dont know how many games Ive watched over the years that could be 13-2 in the eighth, I have to be somewhere but Im staying because Manny's coming up next inning. i dont remember any other player ever having that effect on me.

Owell

Right now I want to see it all continue and grow out there and watch the Dodgers to make the playoffs--just so you know what Ive been futilly trying to say on this board for the last umpteen years--and so I get to see him in playoff mode again-its abeautiful thang

AHHHH Manny--I miss him already. It just doesn't seem the same without him. First Nomar--then Damon--now Manny. You are right M-Star he is electrifying.

I just wonder how Big Papi is getting along with out him? Didn't Manny promise to behave?

Okay--female now leaving the baseball thread. Go BoSox-----------Red Sox Nation RULES!!!

the nation rules what? what does that mean ?

at the risk of my beating an old dead horse, I get so tired of fans of one team thinking they're better , or they 'rule'

but if it makes you feel better.......

and by all means, don't let me comment stop you from posting and ruling

well... they "rule" the wildcard race... does that count?

starman, the stRanger bats are replenished it seems... too bad we don't have any pitching to compliment yours this week... then it's back home for a nine game home stand in the 100+ degree heat (it was 'officially' 106 today, 108 in the shade of the back porch)...

well... they "rule" the wildcard race... does that count?

starman, the stRanger bats are replenished it seems... too bad we don't have any pitching to compliment yours this week... then it's back home for a nine game home stand in the 100+ degree heat (it was 'officially' 106 today, 108 in the shade of the back porch)...

I'd say so... 15 runs today?!

Dbacks got off the snide... finally beating the Braves... win 17 for Webb.

at the risk of my beating an old dead horse, I get so tired of fans of one team thinking they're better , or they 'rule'

Happy B-day Hiway!!!

bday.gif

Hiway

Happy Birthday--you don't live around my parts do you? Red Sox Nation Rules is a common expression--a tee shirt--a bumper sticker--A rallying call. You will have

to take that up with the faithful Bosox nation if it bothers you--we are legion!LOL Loyal fan base?--I would say so.

Of course I think they are the best--I grew up on them--went to see Yaz play before I could see over the seat-- basically.

The green monster--the "Idiots"--the best baseball drama EVER played out with a bloody sock--2004. Ring any bells?

Never had so many men give me so much pleasure--wink wink!

Dustin Perdroia is the newest big boy--He has really come into his own. --I am a huge Sox fan--it is like a rite of passage here. Heck-we eye anyone wearing a

Yankees hat with a fair degree of suspicion. We do let them pass on through.

I love baseball and can sometimes catch hubby in a gotcha game of stats. Just thought I would chime in--

--there are alot of us--which is why it is Red Sox Nation.

Looks like they have the wild card--they rarely let me down for a good post season.

geisha... it was a rhetorical question, we all know about the 'greatness' of the BoSox "nation"... we've had it shoved down our throats by the media ad nausium for the last 4 or 5 years now... but the sad fact (for you nation people) is that this year "the nation" rules nothing but the wild card race for now...

let's see if they can take this series from the lowly stRangers first, better to focus on the task at hand!

and while your young Pedroia is a fine player, I'll take our Ian Kinsler who (despite a slump since the break) leads Pedroia handily in every offensive category...

where was the vocalization by this "nation" prior to their winning their first series? but they've been on a good run lately and we love doing player trades with Theo the infallable! (next time you see him thank him for us for the Gagne trade) :blink:

feel free to come in here at any time to talk about your beloved BoSox and your "nation"... just be prepared to be smacked around a little (in a friendly way)

This year (sadly) the Angels rule (at least until the playoffs begin)!

Looks like they have the wild card--they rarely let me down for a good post season.

...at least not for the past four or five years huh? :biglaugh:

Edited by Tom Strange