GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!

Tom--what was that??

You wanna rethink that Ortiz thing?? :) I think the price just went up.

Geisha... I'm not going to address you for fear that I might break the board rules by calling you a blowhard and an unintelligent person... if you haven't noticed, we keep it fairly civil in here towards each other in that we try not to "kick 'em while they're down"... if you would follow mstars lead in basking in the sunshine while not ....ing in the rain you'll do OK...

sorry friend--hope nobody is kickin TV's down in Texas--I sure would be-----welcome to fenway

there are no TVs being kicked... these guys don't give up... they just have to figure out a way to quit giving up runs... I'm pretty sure it's already closer than you thought it would be mstar...

and the funny thing about Feldman is that he could throw a stellar game next outing... it's mind boggling... but it's what we've learned to live with...

I'm watching the TV... they're showing a BoSox fan in the crowd after Cat scored to tie it up at 14... the fan is just smiling and shaking his head... now it's 1st and 3rd with one out in the top of the sixth and "the nation" is booing...

don't fret though... our pitchers still haven't figured out a way to stop your guys from scoring either...

for those of you not watching (Rocky, Hiway) I'm sure you'll see it all on sportcenter tonight...

funny thing is, my brother in law got home in the top of the second and said "I thought you'd have it turned off by now"... I just told him no... these guys don't give up, let's see what happens...

so now we're on top 15-14 going to the bottom of the sixth... anyone want to take any bets that we'll still be ahead at the end of the sixth (I don't)

yeah... quite a "game"... IF the stRangers hold on to win it will be the first time ever at Fenway that it's been done... I think they said the record was 8 run deficit after one inning...

but it ain't over... we've still got to keep your guys from scoring... who knows? maybe even Cash will get a hit (he's the only BoSox w/o one right now)

I never noticed Youklis 'split grip' before... oh well, he hit it out... good for him... it was still right to walk Papi... but it's not over yet (though it's not looking too good!)

two out homers... I hate two out hits... so you can imagine how much I hate two out HOMERS

Let's see if Papelbonn (sp) can hold 'em... it's the bottom of the order but you never know...

yeah... well that second pitch to Bradley was three balls outside the little box... would've been a four pitch walk... I'm just sayin'

It doesn't get much better than this-

Edited by geisha779

I can't believe it==they rallied.

The game of the year!!

Well... we've got two more the next two days... stay tuned...

Like I've said all year... the stRangers play entertaining baseball... they make you want to root for them... (well, not if they're playing your team)

I hope the starman has some hair left...

thats the question for Bob Melvin to answer, hopefully he already had this conversation with the Front Office and they have a plan in place. Dunn can also play first if necessary. I think its a good fit because he has 32 HR's and always a near .400 OBP--from a distance anyway you guys look like you could use some extra pop in that lineup.

Sox just picked up Paul Byrd who's been 4-0 since the allstar break as another starter ...I havent seen him since last year, I'll be looking forward to see if he still has the 1930's style double pump delivery

The answer is -- Dunn will play RF. Dbacks give up significant defense by playing Dunn ANYWHERE. He went 1-3 with a double, 2BB and 2Ks tonight in a 4-2 win (the Big Unit's 294th win).

Dunn came out in the bottom of the 9th in Colorado so Alex Romero (who had been playing RF regularly the last couple of weeks) could provide the defensive edge. At least one of the Rockies' runs would NOT have scored, very likely with Romero in for the rest of the game.

However, Dunn puts some spark in the other Dbacks' bats... so far, so good.

From me -yesterday at 4:07

I certainly got my wish :)

Are you sure that wasn't a football game? 19-17?

Out of all the things that I thought about that game the one that sticks out the most in my mind is that the stRangers scored that many runs with only ONE home run...

Here's what Newberg sent out... and it sums it all up pretty nicely...

THE NEWBERG REPORT

An incredible game in an incredible season, it sort of feels like Boston 19, Texas 17 epitomized the 2008 season in the space of nine innings.

The resilience. The energy. The wild unpredictabilty.

The hitting.

The pitching.

The game itself unfolded and then, almost impossibly, changed direction, much in the same way the season has, and as we head into what is essentially the final two innings of the regular season, the way tonight’s game ultimately came up short – when realistically the Rangers should have never have been able to put themselves in a position where the game was on the line at all – it may end up microcosmically looking like the campaign as a whole, when we have the chance to look back at 162.

No easy out in the lineup, even a lineup decimated by injury.

But no shutdown pitcher, either, outside of Eddie Guardado, to whom the club couldn’t quite get the ball tonight.

This game, not unlike this season, was marked both by nausea and by tons of adrenaline.

Which sure beats indifference.

The feeling of “what might’ve been” is one of the most frustrating for an insane sports fan, but even if 2008 ends for Texas with the final game of the regular season, the way this club fights every night in the face of adversity and injuries and long odds, I’m going to look back at this edition of the Rangers as one that happily, at long last, brought “what might’ve been” back.

We’re getting a lot closer.

To join the free Newberg Report mailing list so you can get e-mail deliveries of every edition of the newsletter, daily minor league game recaps, and frequent Newberg Report News Flashes, go to www.newbergreport.com and click the "Mailing List" link on the top menu bar.

© Jamey Newberg

"they" are saying on the radio that in the 50 years or so that they've been keeping these sort of records no one has ever scored 17 runs and lost... a page of the record books we'd rather not be on... but we do love our guys...

This game was also a perfect example of why El Presidente needs to go hard after pitching NOW!... I'd put our everyday players and their offense up against anyone. Yes, other teams are good but these guys are special (yes, I know I'm biased)... they've only got a small window here to make something happen... if they can find a couple or three quality pitchers who don't mind sacrificing their ERA (in Arlington) for run support we'd instantly be legitimate contenders... we (the fans) want them to get some decent pitching more for those guys on the field everyday than for us...

Tonight we roll out Luis Mendoza who (like our other pitchers) is always a crapshoot... one night he looks unbeatable, the next pffft!

That was one for the ages---I knew id like seeing your guys up close

lets do it again tonight!

what a strange game , a great illustration of why you always keep playing until the end...

So who is the pick for MVP of the game?

Dustin Pedroia, who went 5-for-6, scored five times, hit the key two out RBI double to tie the game in the 8th and then came around to score the go-ahead run on the Youkilis HR--

or

Kevin Youkilis, who went "only" 2-for-5 with a walk, but the 2 hits were a 5th inning 2 run HR and the big 8th inning go ahead 3 run HR (also had the ignominious accomplishment of striking out twice in the first inning);

or

David Ortiz, who homered twice in the first, doubled in the sixth, walked twice, scored four times and drove in six.

It's really a tough call.

Between the three: 10-for-15, two doubles, 4 HR, 11 runs scored and 13 driven in.

Too may strange things to count---Ive never seen that intereference called ever before at center in Fenway...

the "drop" by Coco,....

Laird failed to advance from second on a clean single to left in the 5th, I've never seen that, either.

i cant count em all

A One once in a lifetime night at Fenway--I wish i could find the clip of Don Orsillo on Youks HR in the 8th

YOUVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

Everyone was thinking exactly that..

I love baseball.... :dance:

Edited by mstar1