GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

really nice piecs on Bill James on 60 minutes right now... says David Wright of the Mets is his favorite player...

I saw that before... I know CBS says this is a new episode of 60 Minutes, but that story is not new. It IS very interesting.

OK, I get it.
:biglaugh::biglaugh::eusa_clap:

You might start finding yourself smiling and laughing for no reason any day now

Yep---He's really that good..

I saw that before... I know CBS says this is a new episode of 60 Minutes, but that story is not new. It IS very interesting.

James is brilliant--I saw it but i wish they had gone a little further and let him speak a little more.He is a great storyteller and remembers everything

Edited by mstar1

Im finding myself acting like a withdrawing junkie--Im watching SportsCenter waiting a whole hour for the 30 seconds they'll have on Manny.

I know the Red Sox are winning with Bay but Im still in disbelief that the greatest hitter Ive ever seen is gone

Lost in Manny-mania is Casey Blake, who is quietly hitting .364 since coming over.

Hokey smokes-I'm starting to think the Dodgers can not only win the division, but get to the Series ! Somebody hit me ! (I know Rocky will offer)

Of course Nomar just went back on the dl, after a brief return to the lineup, so some things never change.

Lost in Manny-mania is Casey Blake, who is quietly hitting .364 since coming over.

Hokey smokes-I'm starting to think the Dodgers can not only win the division, but get to the Series ! Somebody hit me ! (I know Rocky will offer)

Of course Nomar just went back on the dl, after a brief return to the lineup, so some things never change.

another double post-maybe I just can't take the excitement

another double post-maybe I just can't take the excitement

Naw... maybe I'll just offer to give you a gentle elbow jab in the ribs to wake you up. >;-)

However, I'm sure it will take more than just two games to tell whether adding Blake and ManRam will be enough. The Dbacks are still pretty good and yesterday's game just got out of hand. So, hopefully it will be a good race to the end of the season for those two (Dbacks/Dodgers) and no doubt the better team will win. And if that ends up being the Dodgers, so be it. I have to still like the Dbacks' chances because they do still have good pitching and overall reasonably good hitting.

Hokey smokes-I'm starting to think the Dodgers can not only win the division, but get to the Series ! Somebody hit me

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

All these years of trying to explain what it was like on these forums is no substitute for tasting it...

Im sure the whole city is on a Manny high about now --Its a great place to be :)

BDD_MR_wood_7.31.08_Jbou.jpg

Edited by mstar1

Before you know it Chas, the kid will be on this thread talking baseball with us!

(yes, we'll still be here talking baseball... the great game!)

Kristopher and his daddy had a great time at the game. Hubby told me that about 1/2 way through the fourth inning, Kristopher just wrapped his arms around Hub's neck and squeezed him tight with a big, "Dad, I love you!" moment. Hubby says Kristopher was just bouncing in his seat and they had really good seats, by 2nd base. Kristopher can't wait to go again.

GO FISHER CATS! :eusa_clap:

freaking umpires... you know that little box they put up there to show you where the ball is in the strike zone?

well, according to that box we Padilla had ARod 0-2, threw two more pitches that were inside the box, but he walked.

next comes Giambi... a count of 1-2, two more pitches inside the box, one of them about a third of the way up and in the middle, and there's no strickeout... bloop to LF and we're down one...

sorry for venting... it just seems like the pitchers get squeezed so badly these days... and I've never had a problem with umpires having their own strike zones as long as they are consistent... BUT THEY'RE NOT... sometimes it's a ball, sometimes it's a strike... same location... different call...

so now Padilla threw extra pitches this inning... not a good thing when game time temp is over 100.

and how does the batter know what he's supposed to swing at?

Okay... there's one inning... Chamberlain got the call on everything remotely close. Padilla got nothing.

I can see it now... Padilla is gonna start plunking NYY and then maybe the ump... Padilla's not the most popular guy with umps, sure looks like that might play into it...

my money is on Ron Washington not making it through the night on the bench...

Okay... there's one inning... Chamberlain got the call on everything remotely close. Padilla got nothing.

I can see it now... Padilla is gonna start plunking NYY and then maybe the ump... Padilla's not the most popular guy with umps, sure looks like that might play into it...

my money is on Ron Washington not making it through the night on the bench...

And it's another 100+ scorcher in the Big D today, isn't it? That can't be helping...

yeah... it was officially 106 yesterday although the roadside sign thermometers said 113.

Padilla just got called for a balk, Damon to second (didn't stop in the delivery).

Damon to third on a ground out to first.

Padilla just got called for another balk (stepped off the mound with the wrong foot?), Damon scores.

It WAS a 3-2 game, top of the fifth...

As predicted, Ron Washington will be watching the rest of the game in air conditioned comfort.

Art Howe now managing.

This with two freaking outs in (what was) a one run game.

oh yeah... forgot... today it was 109 in the shade on the back patio.

Tom Grieve went over to talk with David Cone (announcing for YES)... Cone didn't think the first one was a balk... but the second one, since he stepped off with his left foot first, they deemed that to Padilla having started his motion... Cone added that the crew chief had called about 10 balks on him in his career.

Edited by Tom Strange

OK now... Kinsler just nubbed one off of the plate. Kinsler didn't run (should have) so Pudge threw it to second, then to first double play.

Kinsler argued... make that questioned, Art Howe questioned... they reversed it.

But this home plate umpire just called two strikes for Jaba that cost Padilla 10-12 pitches and a run in the first inning...

I know I sound like a whiner, but it's bad enough we gotta play the NYY in this heat... just seems we have to play the umps too many times as well...

we get no respect (learned that from Cuban, not Dangerfield)

Michael Young, line drive three run homer... F.U. umps!

it's 101 degrees at 9:03 and there's some idiot in a full gorilla costume at the game...

it's 101 degrees at 9:03 and there's some idiot in a full gorilla costume at the game...

I can't imagine he's got a Phoenix Suns jersey on too... THAT gorilla knows better than to do his thing when the a/c isn't on!!!!

Walk off salami for Marlon Byrd... we win 9-5... this was our best chance (pitching wise) to win... last month when we were in NY we had one of those spells where we had good pitching from everyone... we can't count on that, just hope for it...

AND ANOTHER THING: Today was the 15th anniversary of El Presidente Ryan playing on Ventura's noggin like it was a bongo drum... a game I was at!

Dang Tom get a bucket of ice to sit in--your all heated up.....

I know what you mean about that little pitch box thingy---its exasperating enough without the thing there, but when you can see for yourself that a pitch is way off the plate and then the box shows that... :realmad:

Thanks for Marlon Byrd by the way--The Sox may not be gaining any ground on the Rays, but keeping the yankees off the heels works...

Kristopher and his daddy had a great time at the game. Hubby told me that about 1/2 way through the fourth inning, Kristopher just wrapped his arms around Hub's neck and squeezed him tight with a big, "Dad, I love you!" moment. Hubby says Kristopher was just bouncing in his seat and they had really good seats, by 2nd base. Kristopher can't wait to go again.

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap: :)

Thats why we love this game Chas--its the greatest game in the world

besides

Id hug anybody that got me great seats by second base too!...

Iwant one of these lost 'red socks that are apparently showing up in LA laundromats---

Manny-LA-Red-Sock-3.jpg

ESPN tries too hard sometimes and not hard enough other times... IMO... it's almost like they've become "the Ocho".

Anyway, that was our seventh walk off this year... we're not deluding ourselves (well, mostly not), we know we don't have the consistent pitching that can be counted on BUT sometimes we get enough pitching... and we've learned not to count this offense out...

They're young (experience wise) and learning some valuable lessons... our biggest hope is that Hicks will stay out of things and let El Presidente Ryan steer the ship... but at least we're playing meaningful games (for us) in August... we're only 5 out in the WC race... tonight another mid-season call up goes on the mound for us who at times looks good and at times looks lost... we'll see.

At least our guys aren't fighting each other... they pull for each other...

Edited by Tom Strange