GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Yea its beyond the line of antics --Im convinced Boras got in his very suggestable head and pushed him over the edge.

Manny was always a great ballplayer but never really seemed to think of himself as anyone special.

I know that he knew he was good but when he hit the 500HR plateau afew months back something (fed by Boras) went over the edge.

I just want this day to be over

the latest has the Manny deal losing steam... seems it would result in them trading Manny, two prospects and $9 million (originally 7) for Bay... and that's not too good a deal...

Marlins and Reds interested in Laird... Reds also interested in Byrd or Nelson Cruz (our guy tearing up AAA)... earlier in the week that was rumored to be Arroyo coming back to us from the Reds... does he have anything left or is he fixated on his music career?

Im hearing Bay now going to Tampa--

Where the heck is Jr gonna play in Chicago?

They have Thome DHing and

and Carlos Quentin and Jermaine Dye at Corner Outfielders..

pleasant predicament for Ozzie....

Everyones improving --nothing from the Sox yet---and they're playing their worst baseball of the year.....

Edited by mstar1

Im watching the NESN deadline show at 4;00 they announced definitively the Sox did nothing no trades blah blah blah

4:18 -they are now reporting manny has been traded--still no info as to where or for who yet

Bay to LA?

..remind me to go on vacation to a stoneage village in the Amazon next July 31

4:27 SI reporting Manny to the Dodgers

4:34--

This is like the scene in Apollo 13 when they lost radio comunication at the the most crucial point and nobody knew what was going on..

I have 5 windows open on my computer and the TV on and everyone is saying something different and nobody is sure.

It looks like Manny to the Dodgers, Jason Bay to the Red Sox and who knows what else.

Does Manny have to sign off on this?

have fun out there Hiway!

Edited by mstar1

I just got word that Manny to the Dodgers, Bay to the BoSox and four minor leaguers to the Pirates...

the Pirates get third baseman Andy LaRoche (his brother plays first base for Pirates)and RHP Bryan Morris from the Dodgers and OF Brandon Moss and Reliever Craig Hansen from Boston... BoSox also pay the $7 million left on Manny's salary this year

Does Manny have to sign off on this?

Sure he does... but I'd heard that (when the Marlin deal was still up) he wanted the remaining two years of options dropped from his contract so he could be a free agent at season's end... don't know if that's part of this deal though...

WTF ? Manny to the Dodgers ????!!!!!!!!!!!!

I better look into this.Wonder who they're giving up.

I'll be at the stadium Saturday with the Dbacks. If Manny is here it will be some evening.

Why don't I see Manny fitting in with laid back LA ? Wonder what Joe Torre is thinking right now ?

The Dodgers are building with a lot of youngsters that have already gotten a reputation for not listening to veterans or coaches. Manny will be a wonderful influence, I'm sure.

This is weird.

I just read Tom's post again. The Dodgers gave up not much for a potential nuclear bomb.

Manny should be alright out there--he's most of the time very laidback ---he just heated up over the last few weeks--He'll be reunited with Nomar and Lowe...his salary is being paid for by the Red Sox, hes in a new nice location, and he will be fighting to get a big contract...if he gets in the Manny zone-it could be great to watch for you----hopefully he'll stay away from Boras until the end of the season and his emotional upheaval will be settled.

The Red Sox gave up a lot to get Bay (Manny PLUS T million plus Hansen plus Moss-------It's Ok.....

Its starting to hit me that the Manny Era--the greatest hitter and funnest ballplayer Ive ever watched ---is over...

i knew it was coming--I knew it had to be--Its good and right to get Bay, but its still hard for me to believe.

of all my years of watching baseball the last 8 years have been the best so far

Thanks for everything Manny-the last 8 years have been one awesome ride

I hope you get to have some fun out of this Hiway

Edited by mstar1

Now that the shock is over, I'm starting to look forward to Manny. One thing is certain-the days of sleepy Dodger games are over for awhile. I figure Manny will be on fire for awhile, and that should get Chavez Ravine rocking like it hasn't since Mike Piazza was here.

The Red Sox will be fine. All good things come to an end. The way mstar felt about the last 8 years, is similar to my love for the Yakees in the 90's.It was magic-but couldn't last forever. For me, the end came when Paul O'Neil retired, and I realized it was time for the next phase.

If Derek Jeter were to leave the Yankees I'm not sure I would know how to accept it, so I think I know how you feel, mstar.

I've decided this is going to be fun out here.

Now that the shock is over, I'm starting to look forward to Manny. One thing is certain-the days of sleepy Dodger games are over for awhile. I figure Manny will be on fire for awhile, and that should get Chavez Ravine rocking like it hasn't since Mike Piazza was here.

The Red Sox will be fine. All good things come to an end. The way mstar felt about the last 8 years, is similar to my love for the Yakees in the 90's.It was magic-but couldn't last forever. For me, the end came when Paul O'Neil retired, and I realized it was time for the next phase.

If Derek Jeter were to leave the Yankees I'm not sure I would know how to accept it, so I think I know how you feel, mstar.

I've decided this is going to be fun out here.

yikes double post

Im alright---I'll get over it--I have a lifetime of good memories to reflect on.....

It wouldve been good if the red Sox could have gone after something that they actually neede instead of having to deal with this situation but it was necessary

O well ---

mannyramirez_smurf_song_2_phixr.png

Theres been a helluva list of Leftfielders out there

Ted Williams-

Carl Yastrzemski-

Jim Rice-

Manny Ramirez--

and now -

-Jason Bay

Its Time to see what the new kid can do

Edited by mstar1

This from MLB.com

Pitcher Eddie Guardado was informed Thursday afternoon that he was being traded to the Washington Nationals. Manager Ron Washington delivered the news while Guardado was taking a steam bath in the Rangers clubhouse. Washington told Guardado they wanted to see him upstairs.

Guardado stormed into a conference room in the Rangers front office where general manager Jon Daniels was meeting with aides. Daniels asked Guardado into another room, then couldn't keep a straight face.

"You're still a Texas Ranger," Daniels said, revealing the elaborate joke played on one of the game's best practical jokers.

Said Guardado later, "They got me good."

Oh well... personally, I'm hopeful that we'll have better luck with our pitching coming up through the system. I've just gotta believe that with Art Howe here (in his second year as Washington's assistan) we'll have better luck with it...

We have the worst pitching, statistically, in MLB yet only two teams have a better record since April 25th: the Rays and the Angels. Of course the Angels are in the AL West with us. stRanger fans feel hopeful though, we're only 4 games out in the wildcard race and lately we've been winning games that we had no business winning... they're finding a way... so we'll see.

I'm just wondering how Manny will do since he now has to play "full time" in a regular sized left field... maybe he'll wear the MP3 sunglasses that he wore (during a game) down here a couple of years ago...

He was out there making cell phone calls the last game I was at :biglaugh:

--He's used to playing shallow because of the closeness of the monster and gottten a lot of assists that way..His range isnt that good but he actually is pretty smart in the field although there is the occassional train wreck.

--I would expect that a chunk of the Dodger lineup may jump up a little (Notice what happened to JD Drew when he spent a month infront of Manny?--all of a sudden he had a HallOf Fame month.

--Glad you put "fulltime" in quotes--has anyone informed them of the vacation days yet?? :)

I wasn't thinking about his "vacations"... I was thinking that he already played half his games in a full size field... anyway, he belongs to hiway now...

I know what you mean about the rest of the lineup improving their numbers... the only time Josh (oh sh!t) Hamilton's numbers have dipped this year was when Bradley was out of the lineup for a while on one of his injuries... having four all stars hit in front of him probably doesn't hurt Murphy's numbers either although I think it's more the guy behind you that has more influence...

Thought I'd relate this tid bit that I heard on the radio last night: the stRangers were 13-12 in July with an ERA of almost SEVEN... that's why we dream of good pitching down here...

Its been a helluva few weeks--I got food poisoning about 10 days ago, then contracted Lyme Disease last weekend, then Manny got traded.... :(

This will all pass, but Im still stunned...

I better start sending in my ABS to Tom or something.. <_<

Hope you're feeling better, Mstar. I had food poisoning last year, and wouldn't wish it on a Mets fan. I worry about Lyme disease every time I get back east-hope they deal with it better these days.

Manny has the town buzzing , and he's not even here yet. I'm glad I got my Saturday tickets the day before the trade, or I may not have been able to sit in my favorite section in the loge.He better be playing , or the fans may revolt.

Dodger Stadium is notorious for turning home run hitters into has beens. The ball just doesn't carry here.Manny should focus on hitting ropes to the gaps.

Get better Mstar, and don't worry. The Bosox will be in the playoffs. maybe as the wild card behind the Rays ! I'm still not believing the Yankees can do it.

I'll be better they have me on high doses of antibiotics--but Im really loopy--its amazing what what of those little frickin ticks can do to you..hopefully it will all be gone soon..

I hope that Manny finds himself and is having fun out there (Iread in the paper that McCourt said he could stay in his guesthouse :) ) and the pressure is off.

When Manny is feeling loved, happy, peaceful and he steps in the batters box and finds his "zone' -Its like nothing Ive ever seen--its beautiful to watch.

After awhile you can see it and recognize it--its like a zen state-and you know without a doubt that these runs ARE coming in...

He's not 'there' all the time but when he is- God could be pitching and you'd feel sorry for him because he'd be overmatched

Granted he is not the hitter he was a few years ago--but he can still go there---I hope you get that chance to see it during his time in LA.

Enjoy it and keep me posted..

Im thinking of becoming a Dodger fan--I kinow at the very least I'll be watching alot closer now..

hey, I'm thinking I may become a Manny fan-which makes me wonder if we're living on the Bizarro world now !

There are times when home runs in Dodger Stadium are as rare as a Gagne save.Of course it doesn't hurt to have players that can actually hit them !

I'll keep you posted on any Manny news you may not get otherwise, mstar.