GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I'll definitely do some studying of that!

i found THIS game this morning..

Cubs-Phillies at Wrigley back on May 17, 1979.

The Phils scored 7 in the top of the first, only to see the Cubs bring in 6 in the bottom half.

Philly then scored 10 unanswered runs to take a 17-6 lead after just 3-1/2 innings.

The Cubs got 3 back in the bottom of the 4th, but Philly scored 4 in the top of the fifth to make it 21-9 ...

Then the unthinkable happened -- the Cubs ALSO scored 10 unanswered runs to make it 21-19 game with 3 innings still to play. Philly added a run in the 7th, but the Cubs responded with three in the bottom to tie the game at 22.

A solo homer by Mike Schmidt in the top of the 10th was the game-winner.

:biglaugh:

We got to see a real rarity last night--the replay is on in a few minutes here..They normally edit them down to teo hours--i have no idea how they are going to do that.

and Just an aside on the Pedroia /Kinsler discussion

I checked the stats --as of this am

Kinsler .320 159 Hits

Pedroia .319 157 Hits

you dont get much more even than that.

O and some other oddities Im remebering

Mike Lowell (who has had a serious hip injury for a few weeks and sometimes I wonder if he can walk) stole third in the early innings.

Youkilis who didnt have an error at one point for almost two years had two last night.

Mustve been something weird in the water last night.

well the bullpens are now pretty much blown out by the first game--lets see what goes the rest of the way!

Edited by mstar1

your bullpen may be blown out... this is SOP for ours...

and remember, our first baseman is a call up fill in, our third baseman is a call up fill in, both corner outfielders are call up fill ins, ALL of those fill ins started the year in the minors, our closer just went on the dl and is having his elbow scoped to remove bone spurs, blalock is out, murphy is out, we have 9 starting pitchers on the dl, Padilla has just been scratched from his start against dice K and Hunter will pitch, Hunter started the season in single A ball...

I'm just sayin'... and with all of that, they lead the majors in most offensive categories... and not lead by a little, they lead by a lot...

and with regards to Pedroia/Kinsler... I've never disparaged Pedroia... just said I'll take Ian... but I have noticed (throughout the year) that they are both very good... it gives me a point of reference when you talk about Pedroia because I know how much we enjoy Ian... and I think you can see why.

Im sure if we had em reversed Id love Kinsler too

We just have the midget and he is awesome!

i dont think he realizes he is tiny and would probably fit it at the LLWS and not stickout too much --if he shaved

Its amazing how close they are is the only reason i posted that. You know from watching what Kinslers like---numbers wise they are near carbon copies...

Its amazing that you guys can field a competitive team at all given that list.

9 SP's on the DL? Dang you didnt even have any to begin with!

Yikes.

I dont know what will happen tonight, Hopefully Jon Lester who has transformed himself into a real frontline pitcher this year will be throwing first pitch strikes, bring everything somewhat back to normal, silence some bats and go a strong 7 or 8 innings to rest the 'pen all while we are crossing the line on Mendoza

9 SP's on the DL? Dang you didnt even have any to begin with!

Yikes.

yeah... I thought about adding "not that it makes much difference" in parenthesis after that note!

we'll see what Mendoza brings... sometimes his splitter is very effective, sometimes not... one thing I do know though... they won't count themselves "out" until they've made 27 outs!

Wow while Ive been focussed on this series and yesterdays game seems Hank Steinbrenner SAID that the Yanks 'will win it all next year"--seems like a little early to chuck in the towel just yet.. but if thats the case --its fine with me...

Edited by mstar1

Even Damon said they are running out of time--Johnny we miss you.

It took a few minutes last night to figure out who was the pitcher of record!

Tom,

With all of Texas's pitching woes--why weren't they all over Byrd?

For that matter, ANYONE I have a question. Something I don't get. Why weren't all the other teams in contention(With the exception of the Angels) after him. What

did I miss here?

Twins could have sent Boof down--Texas could have traded it's entire starting rotation for him. :) Said nicely.

Since the break--it seems him and Johnson are the hottest tickets and it is only for 6 more weeks. What was there to lose? I really don't get it sometime.

I don't think there will be a big list of takers for Sheff except Tampa--(another freebie) What am I missing?

Thanks for the 1979 stat-very cool

Do a side by side of Kinsler and Pedroia--clones? Was Kinsler signed to a long term deal with Texas?

Gotta go watch now. . . . . . . . . To bad about Grandpa Lowell

With all of Texas's pitching woes--why weren't they all over Byrd?

For that matter, ANYONE I have a question. Something I don't get. Why weren't all the other teams in contention(With the exception of the Angels) after him. What did I miss here?

I don't know... I think he's good, but he's best when he's a complimentary pitcher and we don't have anything for him to compliment... (that's just a guess)

I don't know how he got through waivers either...

--but defense ---its been a little sloppy

I haven't noticed anything any worse than what Youkilis has been putting up there :biglaugh:

...except for maybe Salty's wild throw to second (which is why I wanted Theo to take him rather than Laird)

I don't know... I think he's good, but he's best when he's a complimentary pitcher and we don't have anything for him to compliment... (that's just a guess)

I don't know how he got through waivers either...

I haven't noticed anything any worse than what Youkilis has been putting up there :biglaugh:

...except for maybe Salty's wild throw to second (which is why I wanted Theo to take him rather than Laird)

a passed ball tonight by Salty seemed like a pretty routine fast ball....

btw, rumor has it that one of the players to be named later for Adam Dunn will be Micah Owings... I hope not, however, even though Micah's in AAA right now.

I'm not missing Johnny Damon.

Whoever makes it to the Series this year, I'm only hoping it's not another 4 and out.

me too.

Thanks Tom,

Sometimes I just wonder if I missed something--like with Dunn and Byrd.

Early game yet--after last night--I make no wagers-LOL-still loving that game. It just doesn't get more fun, AND. . . . I have a new found respect for Texas.

Hiway

I so agree--let's have some tension and drama this year! Makes life good!!

so... starman... did you find yourself saying (like in 'Butch Cassidy')... "who are these guys!!"

the Nation that I saw on TV didn't look too happy there in the top of the ninth until that DP...!

Lester pitched a good game. Good pitching usually beats good hitting.

Now tomorrow... Hunter started in A ball this year, is 0-1 with a 10.61 ERA, against DiceK who is 13-2, with a 2.90 ERA

could be a repeat of either of the first two games... which aint too good for my boys...

The reason Hamilton left the game is because his wife just went into labor... so he's out for tomorrow as well... where are his priorities!

I hope he gets to the hospital in time to witness the birth!!!!

Sounds like his priorities are in order... childbirth first, baseball almost first.!!!

way :offtopic:

Damn I hate flippin ticks--I got bit by one about as big as this period ( .) two weeks ago and now to stay up through a game is near impossible... I was out like a rock by the third inning last night... :realmad::realmad:

little @#$%ers

Probably serves me right for enjoying the plague of locusts the Yanks had in Cleveland last year in the playoffs..

Watch out for those little b'tards they're brutal....

anyway-yea I am amazed at the Rangers lineup-Its downright scary especially at the top Kinsler, Young, Hamilton, Bradley and now Marlon Byrd tearing everything up.....-I still dont totally get the lack of pitching though. It doesnt even have to be great--just adequate--for the texans to be a real contendah---Maybe they should hire some people out of the Twins organization who always seem to land on their feet pitching wise and develop pitchers the way the chinese develop gymnasts.....whereas you guys are more like Eritrea :biglaugh: ....

Heckuva team to watch though

Seems to be a lot of guys going on waivers that Im hearing about--Sheffield, Raul Ibanez, Jarrod Washburn---It'll be interesting to see how everyone squares up in the next few weeks for the stretch run...I know the Red Sox are doing a lot of shuffling behind the scenes everyday, -----I think the schedule slightly favors the Sox in this division but one never knows...Its still a long way to October... tension is starting to build and all games are looking and feeling just a little more important

way :offtopic:

Damn I hate flippin ticks--I got bit by one about as big as this period ( .) two weeks ago and now to stay up through a game is near impossible... I was out like a rock by the third inning last night... :realmad::realmad:

little @#$%ers

Probably serves me right for enjoying the plague of locusts the Yanks had in Cleveland last year in the playoffs..

Watch out for those little b'tards they're brutal....

anyway-yea I am amazed at the Rangers lineup-Its downright scary especially at the top Kinsler, Young, Hamilton, Bradley and now Marlon Byrd tearing everything up.....-I still dont totally get the lack of pitching though. It doesnt even have to be great--just adequate--for the texans to be a real contendah---Maybe they should hire some people out of the Twins organization who always seem to land on their feet pitching wise and develop pitchers the way the chinese develop gymnasts.....whereas you guys are more like Eritrea :biglaugh: ....

Heckuva team to watch though

Seems to be a lot of guys going on waivers that Im hearing about--Sheffield, Raul Ibanez, Jarrod Washburn---It'll be interesting to see how everyone squares up in the next few weeks for the stretch run...I know the Red Sox are doing a lot of shuffling behind the scenes everyday, -----I think the schedule slightly favors the Sox in this division but one never knows...Its still a long way to October... tension is starting to build and all games are looking and feeling just a little more important

Sorry about the tick--they are so icky!! Sheff makes Manny look like a boyscout--(Badboy)he has a menacing batting stance. Washburn? There ought a be a big fight over him. Yankees should grab him-unless they really have written the season off. Or the White Sox-who lost Vasquez. I tell you what. . . . I should run these teams or at the very least MLB. LOL Delmon Young --has he found his power stroke or is it a fluke?

Texas --yes scary line-up. I never really paid attention to more than Kinsler and Hamilton(Cause he is a really good guy) Good for him BTW!! Hope all went well.

I am stumped on their pitching as well?? Wasn't Nolan their pitching coach before?? If they get that together and keep playing like the other night--thay may have an outside chance-especially if the yanks continue to collapse--they are now booing(Hamburger Helper gloves) ARod

I always call him that for 04 division playoff when he tried to slap the ball down. Bush League!

I agree--the schedule may favor us a bit.

My Dad had a chance to try out for STL once. Never figured out what happened--he doesn't say. If only. . . . . I could have been a baseball brat!! He could have been playing with Yaz instead of taking me to see him.

We've gone round and round about ARod here over the years, everyone knows what i think--true to form I recently read he is hitting somewhere in the .220's with runners in scoring position...--although it may have been interesting for the Manny/Arod trade to have gone through in 03-04 Im very glad it didnt--It has played out just fine.

The Sox have 16 out of 24 at home in September (with 3 days off during the month),Which looks easier than the rays.... We'll have to see how the Rays adjust to Crawford and Longoria being DL'ed and Kazmir not really being Kazmir lately.

Byrd could be big here, I'd expect Sheffield to the Rays (if he gets that far)...and of course you never know what call up could really change the whole thing ( a la Ellsbury last year, or KRod for the Angels in '02)

Right now Im liking the Sox position, although losing Lowell isnt easy--are their any infielders out there??

This is all getting good --The NL East AND West is all tied up, , most divisions are still more or less up for grabs, and there are still a few others within long shot shootin distance.

I think the Yankees have something like 10 home games in September, with the last 10 on the road. Home field advantage in baseball matters, and I wonder how scheduling gets so lopsided. The Twins are going on the road for about 2 and a half weeks, and they're a totally different team on the road.

Sorry about the tick, mstar, but at least you don't have Arod. I'm sure the nation will have much to crow about in the next 2 months, so that should help you recover.

We've gone round and round about ARod here over the years, everyone knows what i think--true to form I recently read he is hitting somewhere in the .220's with runners in scoring position...--although it may have been interesting for the Manny/Arod trade to have gone through in 03-04 Im very glad it didnt--It has played out just fine.

The Sox have 16 out of 24 at home in September (with 3 days off during the month),Which looks easier than the rays.... We'll have to see how the Rays adjust to Crawford and Longoria being DL'ed and Kazmir not really being Kazmir lately.

Byrd could be big here, I'd expect Sheffield to the Rays (if he gets that far)...and of course you never know what call up could really change the whole thing ( a la Ellsbury last year, or KRod for the Angels in '02)

Right now Im liking the Sox position, although losing Lowell isnt easy--are their any infielders out there??

This is all getting good --The NL East AND West is all tied up, , most divisions are still more or less up for grabs, and there are still a few others within long shot shootin distance.

Arod-well, I will refrain--He could win the batting title this year but his average with RISP stinks. At this time of year that is all that counts basically. For the money he gets . . . .he needs to be batting better than around .200 with average RISP. That has always been the knock against him this time a year. Girardi is resting his "Clutch players" now and he is just going to end up with rested players in the off season. Should we give him a call--Nope! :)

It is funny, I can remember exactly where I was when I heard the Yanks got Arod. I had just gotten my teeth cleaned and was on the overpass out of Worcester headed to 180. LOL the whole world was coming to an end.

Theo should have made a deal for Belte earlier.

Kazmir is still a great pitcher and their best over all. Slump or no slump--I think he will turn it on.

I too like where Boston is--especially after Lester's latest stellar performance--Dice-K can't seem to lose. No matter how many times he walks the bases loaded :asdf: Heck, they could bat Pedroia in Lowell's spot if they needed to--moving Crisp up.

I am loving it. Nomar came off the DL and hit a game winning HR last night--it is getting good!!