GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Pardon me while I grumble (and complain)...

Dbacks at the Dodgers tonight, on ESPN in HD.

However, that game is NOT available on ESPN in MY area.

Hence, I'm left to endure it on Fox Sports Net, LOW definition. And FSNs LOW definition SUCKS.

Poor guy. But I bet you are choosing to suffer the torture rather than leave it off. You glutton for punishment, you.

I think mstar is talking about when I told him my experience of meeting my first real-live Dodger fan...A fella in the corpse with me named Mike from LA...We somehow got to talking about baseball and he told me he was at Sandy Koufax's perfect game with his dad...And of course......he and his dad got up to leave in the seventh inning to beat traffic..I guess they felt with Koufax on the mound and a 1-0 lead, the game was well in hand...And they already got to see one hit and even one run, so what else is there to hang around for...

By the brief time we were together at HQ, I was long past my real Dodger fan days...I had gone to the Indians and through the Senators...but I was still seething slightly (and still am) at Bob Short for moving our team away...hear that, mr. Tom???

And they already got to see one hit and even one run, so what else is there to hang around for...
:asdf: :asdf: :asdf:

I read an interesting story today i never really thought about before. This year along with being the 100th anniversary of the Cubs World Series and also "Take me Out To The Ballgame" is also the 100th anniversary of umpire hand signals in Majot League Baseball.

The strike call originated in the 1880's in the American Association when a respected deaf player William Hoy asked umpires to raise their right hand because there was no way he could tell what the count was.

In the beginning he would turn around after every pitch but it put him at a disadvantage as he would have to rush between looking at the ump and then preparing for the next pitch.

The team third base coach remedied the situation by relaying the umps call to him from third in American Sign Language so that Hoy wouldnt have to turn around (these were also the first known signs to a batter from a third base coach). The umpires soon after started using the "safe sign" ( derived from the American Sign Language word for "free") for Hoy.

Most of Hoys entire team learned sign language and coaches and managers started using signs to communicate with players which was a new development and gave the team an advantage.

The umpires signals slowly caught on as they were used in independant leagues that had deaf players.

The fans also liked the signals as they could also tell umpires decisions from a distance. They were used sporadically but slowly grew in exposure and popularity and

they were officially adopted by major league baseball in 1908.

--Dont know if that interests anybody :) --I thought it was pretty cool..

anyway...

By luck of the draw from tickets I bought last January and had no way of knowing the significance or not of the game.. I have great seats to Mondays game against the Rays which not only could be the Sox series of the year so far and battle for first , but is also going to break the ML record with the 456th consecutive sellout at Fenway

The umpires signals slowly caught on as they were used in independant leagues that had deaf players.

The fans also liked the signals as they could also tell umpires decisions from a distance. They were used sporadically but slowly grew in exposure and popularity and

they were officially adopted by major league baseball in 1908.

--Dont know if that interests anybody :) --I thought it was pretty cool..

I make pretty good calls, but still not everyone can hear them. On the theory that everyone, including the outfielders, shouls be able to know the count if they want (and the fact we dont have ball and strike scoreboards), I flash the count after every pitch...using, of course, the INDEX finger if i am indicating one ball or one strike, or, when asked, one out... :)

Just to show you how sensitive ballplayers were in the old days, William Hoy's nickname was "Dummy"...But the old Dummy did outlive most of them,surviving to the ripe old age of 99...

I always wondered how "strike" came to be pronounced by umpires as "eeriEEEEE!!!...Used to have an old ump in little league, never did know his name but we all called him "cherry nose"...He probably drank a lot, cantankerous old coot that he was....He would always call a batter out on strikes by yelling out "Strike Three! the batter's OUT!"...Like, it wasn't embarrassing enough to walk back to the dugout after whiffing on a ball, trying not to look ashamed,..But he had to make sure everybody in the neighborhood knew that not only did the pitcher just make you look like a fool, but you no longer belong up here---so get lost---I don't care where you go, just vacate the batter's box at once...

I never understood how the Washington Senators could move to Minneapolis and be called the Twins, and in that same year an expansion franchise is awarded to Washington and is also called the Senators...Why not just have the Twins be the expansion team?...I think the old St. Louis Browns folded at the same time the Baltimore Orioles started, but I don't think they were the same franchise...

The Twins couldve been the expansion team I suppose but whoever owned The Senators mustve worked out some sort of deal to move his established team out (for business reasons or whatever).

I wonder if part of his deal to move out was ensuring that the nations capital wasnt without the national pastime?

That would have been a big issue in those days.

Who got to claim the history of the franchise?

Do the Twins and/or Rangers do anything to honor their days as Senators?

Ive seen that some teams (Dodgers and Giants --maybe more) have numbers retired from players in the old city..

Do the Twins have Walter Johnson (or anyone else form the old Senators) retired?

How bout The Rangers? Of course I dont know if between '61 and whenever they moved to Texas there was anyone other than Frank Howard that was really worth retiring---Eddie Brinkman and Paul Casanove probably wouldnt cut it.

ust to show you how sensitive ballplayers were in the old days, William Hoy's nickname was "Dummy".

In the story I was reading yesterday (about deaf ballplayers and the development of signs) there were actually 8 different Major League players that were deaf from the early days up until the 1940's and every single one of them was named nicknamed "Dummy".

Dick Sipek of the 1945 Reds was the first was the first deaf big leaguer to escape the nickname.

There is a movement to get Hoy in the Hall of Fame. He's describes as a Tris Speaker type outfielder with great range who one year had 45 outfield assists including throwing out 3 runners at the plate in one game.

He had over 2000 major league hits, 1000 walks and had over 600 steals including 82 in his rookie year.

His lifetime average was respectable and one year he hit .357.

At 5'4' 150 he was even smaller than Dustin Pedroia.

My favorite story that Ive read had him cussing out an umpire in sign language during an argument. The umpire of course had no idea what he was saying but his teammates on the bench(who did speak sign) appreciated it and broke into laughter

053nov92.JPG

Edited by mstar1

I'm almost positive (without fact checking) that the Browns did move to Baltimore, and became the Orioles. There were Baltimore Orioles as far back as the 19th century.

The Orioles way back when, moved to New York and became the Highlanders, who became the Yankees.

If the Dodgers played all season like last night, well they don't, so every day is a new mystery. They're already talking 'sweep' here in LA, which may happen, but is mostly wishful thinking disguised as analysis. I'll be at the Stadium on Sunday, and look forward to a smashing good time.

I thought it curious that the new Washington team wasn't named the Senators, and wonder why not ? The 'Nationals' haven't exactly captured anyone's imagination (of course, being awful doesn't help). Although when they're shortened to the Nat's, it's the same nickname they used to use for the Senators.

Do the Twins and/or Rangers do anything to honor their days as Senators?

Do the Twins have Walter Johnson (or anyone else form the old Senators) retired?

Hi

Yes, his number is retired.

In 2010 the new stadium will open, and I imagine they will trot out all the history for that. By then they will have been Twins longer than Senators.

If Chicago falters with Quentin out, the Twins have a more realistic shot of taking the division. BoSox--SEEM to have the wildcard sewn up.

It would be interesting(If the Mets win) to see Santana VS Liriano in a series. If the Twins could only play the REST of their schedule like they do at home--and Morneau stays hot--it could happen. Looking for the Twins-White Sox series this month at the Dome.

Everyone complains about the Dome--newer than Fenway and you can take your whole family for the price of one Boston Ticket--You can buy Twins tickets on the day of the game--if you want to see Boston--you better plan ahead!

I love the Dome. But--I do LOVE fenway more.

I'm almost positive (without fact checking) that the Browns did move to Baltimore, and became the Orioles. There were Baltimore Orioles as far back as the 19th century.

The Orioles way back when, moved to New York and became the Highlanders, who became the Yankees.

according to Wikipedia:
he Baltimore Orioles are a professional baseball team based in Baltimore, Maryland. The Orioles are a member of the Eastern Division of Major League Baseball's American League. From 1992 to the present, the Orioles have played in Oriole Park at Camden Yards.

The "Orioles" name refers to the bird of the same name. Nicknames for the team include the O's and the Birds.

One of the American League's eight charter franchises, the club was established as a major league club in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1901. The Milwaukee Brewers (not to be confused with the current Milwaukee Brewers) moved to St. Louis in 1902 and became the St. Louis Browns. After more than five decades in St. Louis, in 1954 the Browns moved to Baltimore and assumed the nickname Orioles, the traditional nickname of various Baltimore baseball clubs.

Youre right, we had this conversation last winter --The "original Orioles" of the late19th Century moved to NY in 1903 to become the Highlanders--later the Yankees.

There may have been other teams in independant or Minor Leagues from '03-'54named the Orioles as well.

I had never heard that bit about the original 1901 Milwaukee Brewers moving until just now--That name/team has a very strange history has well--disappearing, coming back 60+ years later, then switching leagues

I knew that I should have bought that Seattle Pilots hat back in 68 when I had the chance :)

Anyone know whose team records belong to who?--do the Nats claim Walter Johnson? or do the rely on Expos stuff?

:dance:

What a can of worms--I love baseball though

:biglaugh:

Sorry Lifted... your loss our gain... it's not our fault!

the stRangers do keep the history of that "phase" of the Washington Senators...

I'll have to check around to see if I'm right or not, but I thought that I'd heard that "Nationals" was the real name of the franchise way back when... that then evolved into 'Nats which then evolved into 'Senators' (don't ask me)... I'll check, I'm sure it's somewhere on John Kerry's internet...

"see you" at the game tonight starman!

I'll have to check around to see if I'm right or not, but I thought that I'd heard that "Nationals" was the real name of the franchise way back when... that then evolved into 'Nats which then evolved into 'Senators' (don't ask me)... I'll check, I'm sure it's somewhere on John Kerry's internet...

The local meadia, especially the Washington Post, would often refer to the Senators as the "Nats" anyway.

I rememebr headlines such as "Indians spoil Nats' operner with four in ninth"...

and "Nats 'lose' after three out in ninth" (refered to a lost third strike)

(and both were games I was at)

Anyway, ref my little reply to you in the political forum; the air is much more livable here!

Edited by Lifted Up

..and all this time I thought it was Al Gore who invented the intertubes

I learn something new everyday.

Looks like there was great game in Toronto today

Rays being shutout score 3 in the 9th to tie,(tough tough team), then go ahead with a run in the 13th

Greg Zaun of The Jays then hits a walkoff come from behind grand slam in the bottom of the 13th.

Go you Jays!

Rays lead is now down to 2 games in the East.

In a few minutes the Sox will try to bring it to 1 1/2 against Tom's stRangers.

Wakefields 500th game on the mound for the Red Sox

clapclap

clapclapclap

:dance:

........after a long day--its good to finally have baseball back again!

I like the air in here too!!

see you" at the game tonight starman!

Im there dude! :wave:

Lets have agood game

Edited by mstar1

Dangit! how could I confuse John Kerry for Al Gore? ...oh well, all those politicians are the same!

mstar, is Theo paying attention? this is Laird's tryout... although he's only hitting .284 he's good for the occasional homer, a few more doubles and good sac flies...

...he can't have TT... and Salty's on the DL... but available... have Theo bring some young arms to the table...

Victor Rojas is one of our announcers tonight (Cooky's son)... he was a bullpen catcher for the Marlin when Charlie Hough pitched there. He was explaining that Charlie had to teach him how to catch a knuckler (this story right after the passed ball)... he said Hough told him 'keep everything loose, your chest, your arm, your wrist, everything! ...and then just stab at it with the glove when it gets there... if you tense up you'll lock up and not be able to react fast enough"

Grieve then asked him if he ever had any trouble catching him... Victor replied "only when he threw the hard one"

:biglaugh:

Wakefields knuckler is crazy

Fluck---my TV is pixalating due to a thunderstorm and it looks like some weird acid flasback. crazy colors or if there is a partial picture its 2o seconds of the visuals all trailing together so you see ghosts everywhere in multicolor...I cant make out squat .

I come to GS for minute --then the tube comes back for about a minute and its 6-1

guess it was Timmy's off night tonight--What I have seen is all sloppy---but its only the fourth

PICK OFF!!

Thank You!!

Edited by mstar1

Victor Rojas is one of our announcers tonight (Cooky's son)

Didnt Cookie play fo rthe 64 Phils? The ones that collapsed like last years Mets? I remember when that infield with Booby Wine at short was ushering in "The Days of Wine and Rojas" which never did quite happen

Good to hear his name again though...

...so last inning aftre my TV is screwing up I flick the channel to see if its just the channel or my Tv and on the next station what do I see but drawings presumably by our very own resident cartoonist Hiway as "Phineas and Ferb" danced across my screen :eusa_clap:

7-4 now and still early

Edited by mstar1

Well, my screen is OK and now it's 9-4 and we're at bat... how do you like the 22 yo kid lefty we threw out there tonight? We think he's got a bright future, he was a call up (July I think) and has made all of his starts and improved as he's gone along... it'll be interesting to see how he does with Laird behind the plate. He usually has Salty (and does well with him) because they came up in the ATL org together...

but you're right... it's only the bottom of the fourth???? ...this is gonna be a long game...

Yea ow~ :biglaugh:

I went back to tasks and let it go when it got to be about 13-4 or whatever it was, and cast it into the forgetaboutit bin

Its got me singin...momma told me there'd be days like this..there'd be days like this my momma said.

how do you like the 22 yo kid lefty we threw out there tonight?

Yea I liked him --he looked good, he hit the corners pretty good had good stuff threw well and seemed confident.

I still think you guys still have to tighten up the defense some,It would make him look even better out there ----When it was still close (and i was still paying attention) Bay hit another one over Hamiltons head (thats 2 or 3 times in the last two days--move back Roy)--then still could've had him with a great throw but no one was covering second.

The ball showed up, the runner showed up, just no fielders showed up. Bay scored later in that inniing--a few other little things like that happened that I was wondering about----then the game got sloppy, out of hand and I lost close interest and went back to doin stuff

We'll get you again tomorrow but I dont know if I'll be able to see it or not . Im heading to PapaMstars 91st birthday tomorrow-- hes a Patriots fan and rules the TV

Did I hear that Manny had 5 RBi's and the Dodgers are in first for the first time since April? I think I did but its 2 am and Im not looking it up...

If its true I think the Disney Characters should start sportin dreads

,,,alright bedtime for me.........

The Dodgers are indeed in first place. 2 games over .500 but it's still first place.

Lost in Manny mania is the emergence of Andre Ethier, who's hitting a ton. When asked about the sudden hot bat he said"2 words, Manny Ramirez".

I'm starting to think my tongue in cheek promotion of Manny for mvp, isn't a joke.

The Dbacks have never looked so bad. I have to wonder about one play though. Manny hit a fly to right, that should have been an easy out. The fielder lost it in the sun and it dropped 2 feet next to him and bounced in the stands , scoring 2 runs. It was ruled an ground rule double, instead of an error. That seemed mighty generous to me, since it clearly should have been caught. I guess if his glove had touched the ball it would have been different, but I don't get it.

I'll be in my favorite seat in the loge today for the potential sweep. I was looking forward to Randy Johnson pitching, but he's been scratched with a sore shoulder.