GreaseSpot Cafe

The Pope...I don't get it :(

Wacky Funster

We have discussed that here on GS as well.

This was NOT the first time that American citizen-civilians were attacked on American soil by a foreign power. A previous attack occured on American soil 5 decades before.

Thus we built the labour camps along the West Coast for all Asian-Americans including vets from WWI, if they lived in the Western states.

As a child, I went to school with the children of those labour-camps. My impression was that America did something else with Asian immigrants, that the labour camps were exclusively for American citizens who were of asian descent.

:-)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
Quite a thread...I don't know whether to comment on the Pope's funeral, the WTC attacks or Elvis...

Groucho -- may as well comment on the Pope's take on Elvis' funeral, when he was forming the WTC (Warsaw Trade Commission).

(is there such a thing?) icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_confused.gif:confused:--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Ok...I guess the Pope was to the catholics, what Dale Earnhart was to racing fans. Everybody in his group liked the guy...what else can ya say?

Elvis?...What a great voice he had...too bad he turned into a fat slob with a serious pill addiction. Go to Graceland? Not in this lifetime.

The WTC?...I never liked wholesale killing...no matter who does it...or why. Those folks had families...breaks my heart.

CoolChef --

I can answer your question.

It's all about paying respects to the deceased. It goes beyond just the pope...

*Elvis is dead.

*The pope is dead.

*There's thousands of people dead from the WTC.

Wacky posted that she didn't get why everyone was so into going to Rome to pay their last respects to the pope and then the thread branched into why people pay respects to other dead people(s) - famous and otherwise... I mentioned Graceland because Elvis is an American icon and the anniversary of his death is still a big to-do. Some people would have more respect for Elvis than JP2... some don't give a flip about any of them... personally, I agree with Groucho's comment, above. But that's just me.

Hope this helps.

Galen:

When I was at Ground Zero a couple of weeks ago the design was shown on billboards right outside the fenced off building site that it has become. It shows only the one design, not several possible candidates. It is therefore at least creating the public expectation that this is what they will actually see in due course. angelkit.gif