GreaseSpot Cafe

DoomsWay

Belle

Bear with me here....I've been fighting a collosal sinus infection, in fact I'm surprised Hope & John didn't kick me out of their house this week-end with all my hacking and sweating....I'm still fighting foggy brain, so I hope this makes sense.

We often fantasize about TWI shutting the doors and how nice it will be knowing that they aren't able to hurt anymore people. But then we know that it's really just a fantasy because there are suckers born every minute and they will continue to find a few people here or there who are luddites or are easily persuaded that all the information on the web is false.

I picture TWI becoming something like those "Doomsday Cults" who constantly predict the end of the world that people laugh at all the time. (Not that TWI will be predicting the end of the world, just saving the world from destruction like with Y2K.)

They brag about being small in number and "the precious remnant" of God, but who "outside" TWI is going to buy that? Not anyone reasonably intelligent. People are wary of groups who are small, it usually means they are "off the wall" or have something seriously wrong that not many people are interested in them.

They brag about there being "nothing better out there", but that sounds really ignorant coming from a church where there are youth programs, youth group trips, mission trips, choir, handbells, weekly Bible study (just as intellectual based as TWI's), all kinds of classes, women's groups, men's groups, small home based fellowship groups.....all kinds of ways to get involved IF YOU WANT TO.

What does TWI offer?

- Small home fellowship groups where you sing the same songs over and over and hear the same teachings that you just listened to on a tape or phone hook-up and read in a magazine.

- Classes, but they only run every so often and when they do they take up all your time.

- Larger meetings where, if you're "special" you "get" to clean up, string chairs and run AV while you "rub elbows" with the almighty leadership. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

- Mission trips are actually a 6 month requirement, not a week or long week-end event AND you have no control over where you go.

The loaded language is so prevalent now in TWI, especially with things like Christmas and Easter that people pick up on it right away and it strikes them as "odd". They also pick up on the micro-management of their time when they first sign up for the WAP class.

We've moved away from the "Peace, Love and Rock & Roll" era to a much more skeptical and cautious society in many ways. That being said, there are new groups like "Landmark" sucking people in on a daily basis. All I can figure is they must have something "big fat claim" that I haven't heard yet, but whatever it is, it's obviously more shiny than TWI's.

quote:
Peace, Love and Rock & Roll" era

Belle, I thought that was sex, drugs and rock and roll. Maybe I am thinking about a different era, heh heh..

But you make a pretty good point. Look at their "spiritual head"- and its not Jesus Christ.

Good grief- no matter how well they package ole Rosie, nobody with an inkling of a right mind is going to be buying.

"Classes, but they only run every so often and when they do they take up all your time. "

True. True today, and true twenty some years ago. At least Eve was still a "straight shooter" then..

"Larger meetings where, if you're "special" you "get" to clean up, string chairs and run AV while you "rub elbows" with the almighty leadership."

Thankfully, with the current following, this does not happen very often anymore- unless you count the advanced class and specials and stuff. "Big" meetings in our area probably are attended by fifteen or less. But they probably have half of them stringing chairs, doing AV, greeting (who?), coffee detail, etc. Must look ridiculous.

"They brag about there being "nothing better out there"

That's gotta get old after a while, even with the innies. Are they still that blind? Well, I guess I was once...

quote:
- Larger meetings where, if you're "special" you "get" to clean up, string chairs and run AV while you "rub elbows" with the almighty leadership.

When I bailed two years ago, limb meetings had become an annual event. I went to one where the crew was bigger than the "audience." icon_smile.gif:)--> It was embarrassing.

JT

Two years out and oh, so happy!

I wonder if they will sell Gunnison or try to convince people to move up there to help take care of it as the number of people willing to go into the corps continues to decline. How many people does it take to keep up the place? How much does it cost to keep it running?

Will they sell off more of HQ? They already have a staggering staff to "believer" ratio. Will they "strongly suggest" that people start closing in the ranks and move to the "root" locations?

In 10 years where will they be? Some group no one has ever heard of with maybe 500 members? Still peddling the same "collaterals" and classes with their noses in the air bragging that they are the "one true household of God".

Greasespot will become much more active on all the other forums and Weenie Roasts will be like a family or class reunion that everyone looks forward to each year. GSpot There just won't be that many people left to help because they will have all left TWI and the only ones left are people like the Moneyhands who just can't fathom having to do actual work in the "real world".

quote:
The nice thing about being on the crew is that you didn't have to sit, listin, and try and stay awake. Being on the crew you got to stand up and walk around.

They don't do that, Ex70'shouston. Well... not anymore. Once you set up the thing (and are nice a sweaty), you put on your suit or dress and run to a nice, hard, steel folding chair. Yeah! Nothing like the feeling of clothes stuck to you on a hot summer day. wink2.gif;)--> If they let the crew stand around, the actual "attendees" would be miniscule.

JT

Two years out and oh, so happy!

They need the set up crew to fill the audience and usually they are the same ones passing the horn o' plentitude up and down the isles.

TWI is shrinking and will continue to shrink until they are considered "just another cult". They've sure come a long way from being featured in a Time (or was it "People") magazine to some group most people have never even heard of.

TWi might have some appeal for those with a psychological need to belong to some small, "elite" group that claims exclusive access to God's mind and will. Of course anyone needing that kind of association in their life might have a mental problem right from the start. But some people actually enjoy being told what to do and even welcome the micromanagement which accompanies the Way lifestyle. They confuse this blind compliance with devotion to God.

Many were initially attracted to TWI of the 70s because there were loads of young people

around having fun and doing things socially but those days are long gone and there exists no such dynamic in TWI of 2005. Its become an old person's church with very little appeal to a young person. My point is that back in the 70s it might take quite a while for one to encounter the rigid expectations aassociated with TWI lifestyle

than it might today.

I left as LCM was taking the helm but saw that they weren't tolerating "part timers" any more which has led to the "be with us or not" mentality that result in the micromanagement practices so prevalent in the 80s and I suppose the 90s. There were some "buffers" there once upon a time due to the size of TWI but now they want only "the committed" right from the start.

I suspect that the only young people who might be "active" are those who have been shoe-horned into the way lifestyle by their parents yet TWI represents them as "new students" to whatever class it is they teach these days.

Some have characterized the remaining hardcore followers as "kool aid drinkers" though I don't think its quite down to that just yet. Sure. There are those who would accept dramatic orders from leadership without question but I have the sense there are those remaning who wish to leave. At some point it will be a case of too many chiefs and not enough indians. Sure they'll have regional coordinators and what not but over time there won't be need for this type of "tree" yet they won't let go of it simply because it would be a very clear sign that membership numbers are anemic.