GreaseSpot Cafe

sound of God's voice

mell

quote:
Eze 3:12

Then the spirit took me up, and I heard behind me a voice of a great rushing, saying, Blessed be the glory of the LORD from his place

Rev 1:10

I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet-------

Just from a coupla verses -- seems the question should be - from what direction did the *voice* come from, instead of *what did it sound like*.

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

quote:
Originally posted by mell:

does anyone know if vpw ever talked about what God's voice sounded like? bass tenor soprano anything?

And -- to answer this -- No -- I don't believe anyone has ever been told. We were all simply too awe-struck to ask that simple question, flabbergasted that we knew someone God had actually *spoken to*, audibly.

quote:
And -- to answer this -- No -- I don't believe anyone has ever been told. We were all simply too awe-struck to ask that simple question, flabbergasted that we knew someone God had actually *spoken to*, audibly.

thanks for the responses

the humor helps a lot-it is healing

it was the 'audibly' that I was wondering about

a presumably awesome sounding voice heard from the outside....

different from that quiet inner voice

quote:
does anyone know if vpw ever talked about what God's voice sounded like? bass tenor soprano anything?

He said God communicates in the light of an individual's previous experience. Now that pertains to communication which is broader than speaking, but I would think that would pertain to speaking also, speaking being a form of communication.

I realize that doesn't help much as far as specifically what God's voice sounds like, but maybe it shows that the question doesn't have a single, specific answer. God's voice might very well sound different to different people. "God's voice" would seem to be the good ole figure of speech condescensio, God being spirit and not having vocal chords.

In other words, God communicates in whatever manner communicates best - to each individual in each circumstance.

Tom

I don't think that mell was asking about what Wierwille said about God speaking to people in general. I think the question was about Wierwille's claim that God spoke to him audibly in his office, just before the claimed blinding snowfall that obscured the gas pumps from his sight. Did Wierwille ever say anything about how that voice sounded, other than just saying that it was audible?

quote:
Originally posted by excathedra:

yeah he said something in "the class" along the lines "and he spoke to me ... just like i'm speaking to you now"

That settles it. God sounds like a perverted, alcoholic, rural Ohio grifter of German ancestry. But I'll bet Mike could have told us that. icon_smile.gif:)-->

http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/html/content/voices.cfm

quote:
What is it like to hear voices?

It is difficult to explain what it is like to hear "voices", particularly if you have never heard voices yourself. However, the experience of hearing voices is not as alien an experience as it is generally thought to be. Firstly, it may be the same as hearing a voice in the normal way through your ears, the difference being that the "voice" has no physical cause - but like normal voices, there is variety and every experience has its differences. You may think you have never experienced this, but are you sure? You may have had the experience of hearing someone call your name only to find that there is no one there. Indeed, research shows that especially for people recently bereaved, it is not an uncommon experience to hear the voice of the recently deceased person.

As well as hearing voices through the ears, people also hear voices as if they are thoughts entering the mind from somewhere outside themselves. This is not the same as a suddenly inspired idea, which people usually recognise as coming from themselves, rather the thoughts are not their own and would seem to come from outside their own consciousness, like telepathy. A good example of this is the experience of recalling a rhyme or tune, which you find yourself repeating unconsciously under your breath and which keeps going through your head again and again. You can even find yourself humming it. You never took a decision to start thinking of it and it's difficult to stop thinking about it. The difference between the tune and "voice thought" which appears as words in your mind is that it may go on to speak coherently to you and even engage you in conversation. You, yourself are not responsible for it and you have no idea what this "voice" is going to say next.

There are many different ways to hear voices. Voices can be experienced in the head, from outside the head or even in the body. It may be one voice or many voices. The voice may talk to you or about you. There are other ways to hear voices, some of them make the phrase "hearing voices" a poor description and perhaps one day we will have to come up with a better one - because it is never the same for everyone. Some people for instance, experience non verbal thoughts, images and visions, tastes, smells and touch. All with no physical cause and all sensations they didn't call into being themselves. Voices can be like dreams, we all dream and experience words, images and even sensations. When we are bored we can drift off and have a short dream. When we dream all sorts of strange things can happen to us, but we still believe they're really happening to us. Hearing voices can be like that - a waking dream - but something that is experienced as real.

I'm not sure what they had in the 50's in VP's day, but they have pretty good medications and therapies for this type of thing now.

Listen, if I had broadened this thread beyond its original intent by speaking about people (more than VPW) hearing God's voice speak to them [be quiet, please], you've certainly broadened the discussion [look, will you shut up; I'm trying to type something] way beyond that by talking about any voices [it's really hard to carry on two conversations at once...and you, too - three conversations I can't handle].

I have to go now. I'm sorry...it's these voices.

quote:
Long Gone

Postaholic

I don't think that mell was asking about what Wierwille said about God speaking to people in general. I think the question was about Wierwille's claim that God spoke to him audibly in his office, just before the claimed blinding snowfall that obscured the gas pumps from his sight. Did Wierwille ever say anything about how that voice sounded, other than just saying that it was audible?

thank you Long Gone, that's what I was after.

and I guess the answer to my question is basically what vpw said about the voice was

"he spoke to me clear as I'm speaking to you right now" .

I am new at the cafe and at this point feel most comfortable remaining anonymous. I have found help and insight here. Thanks.

It was suggested my ?'s would be more suitable in the About the Way Forum.

mell