GreaseSpot Cafe

Graduation Time

Zshot

This time of year student’s graduate from high school, and some of us receive graduation announcements from some of these students.

I am curious what is considered the proper graduation gift.

For example; the son of a good friend of mine is graduating this year. I gave him a card with $25.00 and a 2005 silver dollar (proof) from the U.S. mint.

Is this about right for a gift?

What do you usually give?

Speaking of graduation, I have to brag a little here....my 22 year old daughter is about to graduate this Sunday from Ohio Northern University in Ada Ohio. So I will be sitting through my very first college commencement....I am really pretty proud about right now.

I bought her a new laptop computer and she has no idea......I am so excited to give it to her I can hardly stand it.

Sorry to derail, but just had to share that. wave.gif:wave:-->

I had a laptop one time, her name was "Brandi"...Ooh! Did I say that? Sorry. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Hey there OodaFog, congratulations! You must be sooo proud! The only thing I ever graduated friom was the Way Corps. I was a hs drop out my sophomore year.

My boy, "Keanu" may graduate in two weeks. He is hanging in there to get himself up to date so he can graduate with near flunking grades.. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Congrats, Outofthefog! This weekend will be the second time I get to warm a college commencement chair. Second kid, the chem major, graduates with somekinda honors (she hasn't told me what yet), and then goes to grad school.

She worked her own way through, and will be a grad assistant next year. Mom is very proud!

Regards,

Mom

quote:
I had a laptop one time, her name was "Brandi"...Ooh! Did I say that? Sorry

oooh Johnny you are so bad! You are cracking me up. Sounds like you graduated from the University of Hard Knocks and you turned out very well.

Thank you all I am pretty excited.

Shaz - congrats, 2 college graduates, that is wonderful.

Mine is psychology major then will enter grad school for criminal or forensic psychology.

In the meantime, maybe she can "analyze" me hahaha

Congrats Shaz and outofdafog! You must be very proud Mamas as well you should be!

Johnny, I hope you'll let us know how Keanu does since we're all rather fond of him now. icon_smile.gif:)--> No one asks for your high school transcripts, so near flunking grades or not, he will have the almighty piece of paper that he needs.

I spend about $20-$30 on the kids. If I know they are going to college I usually get them a gift card for Bed Bath & Beyond or Wal-Mart because you spend soooooo much money getting things for your new dorm room/apartment. Kids have such different tastes and they like picking things out for themselves so it seems to be a welcome gift.