GreaseSpot Cafe

Pension

Wacky Funster

I feel like a broken record sometimes...

As I age this topic is bothering me more and more...and really would like to know what some of you are doing for retirement...

Especially you singles or divorcees or widowers.

I know it's hard for 2 incomes to survive let alone save, but imagine 1!!!!!!!

I had to stop adding to my miniscule IRA 2 years ago as my health insurance (I am self employed) rose too high.

This year my health insurance and slow employment has forced me to let go of my health insurance. I not only can't afford it now, but I can't make the IRA payments either...

My mom called yesterday and really laid it on me. SHE NEVER DOES THAT!!! She begged me to relocate and get a teaching job.

I spent all day yesterday pondering and worrying and finagling my financial situation.

What are you guys all doing? as we are approaching "retirement"...

(I still feel stuck in age 21, so this is always a hard topic to tackle) icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Wacky-

Sounds rough.

Are you in a high cost of living area?

maybe you should think about relocating.

I would never have come to Connecticut, thinking to live on my income. We only came here as we already owned property. And now we are in the process of relocating to a cheapers cost-of-living area ourselves.

Our eldest son [Daniel] moved 1 January, to Wichita Kansas. He found rents at half the level they were here, and even found that he could rent an entire 3-bdrm house for less than what he was able to find a 1-bdrm apartment going for here.

Good luck.

Wacky, I'm in my 30's and it scares the crap out of me when I think about retirement and how to pay for it. Watching the news about things like Enron and the GM pension funds and Social Security I've pretty much realized I'm my only resource and I can't really depend on anyone or anything else. Even the stock market is pretty volatile, but the more time you have to invest the better off.

I hear arguments both ways on the wisdom of Roth's versus traditional IRA's, but I think doing something is vital. That's part of why I feel so much more secure being in a house that I'm paying off. It's at least one thing I've got taken care of. I know I'll have a roof over my head.

I feel like if I'm not socking away money for "tomorrow" then I'm not really making ends meet because I won't be able to work forever. There are financial planners who can help set up a workable plan with what we DO have to invest. American Express has started financial services that include many products and insurances.

Getting a job that will provide a means to invest does sound like a good idea. Or maybe a second job so that you can keep doing what you like? I dunno about your cost of living, but some states, like Florida, don't have state income tax and the cost of living is much better than it is in most other states.

I'm sure you'll get some great information here and I don't really have any great advice as I'm just plugging into my 401K and I've made some pretty stupid mistakes in my younger years, but I just wanted you to know that you're not alone. icon_smile.gif:)-->

I was self-employed for about 7 years, Wacky, and I had to give it up, mainly because of the cost of health insurance and the high Social Security taxes. Not only did I pay a high premium for my insurance, but when I had my gallbladder removed, it didn't cover a large chunk of the hospital/doctors' bills. That combined with the taxes prompted me to go back to working for someone else.

I don't like it, but I had to face facts. I don't intend to be a burden on my son, and although I have pretty simple needs, being a baglady and living in a cardboard box just don't appeal to me. icon_eek.gif

Belle, you're young enough that you still have time to sock away a pretty good nest egg, but my advice is start doing it NOW. Most people I know in their 30s think that retirement age is soooooo far off that they don't discipline themselves to save for it. Even if you don't have a lot left over for savings, putting away a small amount is better than doing nothing. I hope you younger GSers out there can learn from what Wacky and I are going through.

Wacky, I'm in a similar pickle about retirement. If I could stand my current job until 65, when Medicare kicks in so I'd have at least minimal health insurance (I hope!), that would be fine. But my job comes with an extremely high stress level, and I want to bail at 62 and have some lower-stress years to enjoy. If I do, I'll have to pay the (high) health insurance premiums myself that I only pay a small percentage of while employed. I can do that for 18 months (keep my same insurance), but that means I'll still have to work somewhere, because Social Security alone isn't going to cover the cost of the insurance plus my other living expenses, and even that will end before I'm 65. I have a small 401k, for which I'm thankful, but I'll need to leave that alone and, hopefully, let it keep growing for use when I'm too old to work at all.

If I were you, Wacky, I'd bite the bullet and get a teaching job if you're qualified and can stand it. Even if you do it for only a few years, you can build up some sort of retirement savings, which will be better than nothing. And perhaps in a few years the demand for your services will pick up and you can go back into business for yourself, or maybe do it on the side just to keep a hand in it (pun intended).

I do know one thing. Being in denial about facing retirement will not make it go away.

Thanks you 3 !!!!!

LindaZ...you seem to be on the same page as I am.

I can't complain about my living situation. I own my little house...rent my office space...yes, Galen, I am in a very very very high cost of living area BUT, not for me.

My expenses are about nil. I am very fortunate that way...

I think what has happened is my business has plummeted since 9/11...every year it gets worse and worse...my clients are moving because of the high cost of living here...my friends have all moved...

...there are now zillions of mediocre (if that) schools pumpin' out zillions of massage therapists (many incompetent) flooding the market...that paired with "spas" with mega money for advertisement...it's really pushing me out of the business!!! That with my fingers becoming numb and my wrists sore...oy vey... icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

I figure for me to move would actually cost more than to stay...

Again I am pondering this today with another single woman I know -we're going to the beach-altho, she is a speech therapist in a school system and is hanging in to get her pension.

I really love my life. I love what I do. I love having free time to spin, dye and weave-do my art...

I feel stuck and torn...I can hardly imagine being in a classroom unless I was an art teacher with a little cart moving room to room getting kids to express themselves. However, LindaZ, I am not qualified to do that...art teachers need yet another degree...

I just got off the phone with my aunt...and she thinks I have it made. She thinks I should just stay put...do what I love...86 the health insurance (I am very healthy)...pay off the credit cards and put away what I can...get free health care from the free clinic down the street...

Another day of pondering...thank you for your suggestions and comments...it really helps me get things josslin' in the ole' noggin icon_smile.gif:)--> .

I retired from the reserves and will receive a pension from that at age 60...

I pay into social security

The government has what is called "thrift savings plan" which I contribute to.

I am paying additional priniciple on my house.

I live in a "moderate" cost area, with home prices on the increase.

One of the benies of working for the GOV is semi reasonable health insurance rates.

We need to get rid of the "way brain" mentality of not having long range plans.

What was implied was the Lord could come back at any moment, so lets live for the ministery, travel light, move the word etc...

I believe that the Lord could come back at any moment, however he might not come back in my lifetime.

Sometimes we might have to settle for a stable job with benies even if we might not like the job. Sometimes, you can find a job you enjoy and make a decent living at it. I know people who hate there job but need the benies...

There are good and bad points about having your own business. And, everybody is different, so there are no "set" answers on what to do.

There are no simple answers or choices...

I found the book "Rich Dad Poor Dad" at the Bank, and then I bought it at the bookstore.

It gives some good stuff on the other side of the ledger from the "good job good benefits" goals.

We definitely need to be aggressive regarding our futures, and the impact we are making in the world by our lives.

More hopefully,

Wacky:

I don't blame you for wanting to stay independent. If your house is paid for, that makes a big difference. I'm glad you're healthy and hope you stay that way till you're 100. But as we get older, we often need routine medical care more often than we once did. I'm not "being negative"...just practical and realistic.

If you ever do consider taking a job, I wonder if you've ever thought of being an activities coordinator for a good nursing home or CCRC (Continuing Care Retirement Community--they have everything from independent living apts. to skilled nursing care)?

In the less progressive ones, activities might consist of little more than Bingo and singalongs, but facilities like that are becoming dinosaurs, thank goodness.

I've visited CCRCs that have art classes, swimming classes, their own libraries, political discussions, classes at their local universities. I even visited one where the residents served on the town's city council and as tour guides at the local museum. I've been to an art gallery with all its paintings, sculptures, etc., done by residents of long-term care facilities. There are some really phenomenal places out there.

With your background in art and crafts and healing with your hands, it could be a full-time job you could actually enjoy, and get some benefits, too. It's not a high-paying position, but it could be a bit more secure than self-employmennt. And I just wonder if a smart CEO of one of these places wouldn't just love to be able to add massage to their list of amenities offered!

Wacky have you thought about making inquiries at any of the living museums such as Sturbridge Villiage or Williamsburg? How many people have the skills you have to be a part of such living history?

------------------------------------------

About all the rest of us - - I know very very few people who have retired and "do nothing". Either they cannot afford to not work and so they work at least part time, or staying home drives them batty and they want or need to get out for some mental stimulation.

quote:
If you ever do consider taking a job, I wonder if you've ever thought of being an activities coordinator for a good nursing home or CCRC (Continuing Care Retirement Community--they have everything from independent living apts. to skilled nursing care)?

Wacky -- Linda has a good idea there. That kind of job might provide enough employment for you to put some money away, and still leave you the free time you want for your crafts and art.

My expenses are about nil too, but even so it is somewhat difficult to put money away into my 401k, which is about the only thing I have going for my retirement.

And even though I am fairly healthy, it is nice to have the insurance that the company provides. It costs a whole lot less since it's a company wide group plan. I know some folks here who are self-employed also, and it seems criminal (to me) what they have to pay for their insurance.

Good luck on the job decision. icon_smile.gif:)-->

David

Hi Wacky icon_smile.gif:)-->

My old age is something I've been thinking about lately what with being a grandpa n all (btw mom n grandkid are doing well!).

I'm slightly broke, having spent the better part of the last few years moving along several projects and going to school so I am keenly aware of my limited bank account.

My origional plan called for a nursing degree and work till I dropped, not out of need but a preference for useful activity. This plan has changed slightly due to the aforementioned projects as has my life.

Plan A involves a sustainable ag school commercial kitchen and multispecie processing plant, Plan B involves an intertribal development council and a yurt. icon_smile.gif:)--> both have retirement benefits attached.

Thank you LindaZ...altho that has crossed my mind, I haven't quite thought it through. I like old people...(just not driving behind them on the windy roads wink2.gif;)-->)...that is a consideration...I would have to ponder that.

Krysilis...thanks for the reminder...someone mentioned Plymouth Plantation had a spinning wheel sitting there with no one at it...I actually thought of applying there for that and teaching natural dyes...(my garden this summer is stuffed with indigo, woad, weld, tansy, dyers knotweed and the like!!! can't wait for the fall to harvest and dye!!!)...thanks for the reminder for me to apply there. I would LOVE to do that!!!!

Today I brainstormed with my speech therapist friend that I should put an ad in the paper in the fall for...get this...:

"The Weekend Nanny"!!!! From Friday, 6pm til Sunday 6pm...live in...fully competent, creative and educated to take care of the kids while folks go for a getaway...I think $250 would suffice...and use that money as IRA money...if I did 2 of those a month...it would be grand!!!! Just a thought...still no bennies, but the IRA would get moving again...

Someone gave my name to a B 'n B in Chatham who was looking for a spinner/dyer do workshops for their visitors (visitor (definition)- the nicer more politically correct term for TOURIST)!!!!! angelkit.gif

I could see me dressed in 17th century garb sitting in front of a fireplace spinning away and dyeing as onlookers asked questions...I can speak british, a tad wink2.gif;)-->

Thanx you guys...

Congratulations herbal icon_smile.gif:)--> love3.gif

Kit Sober:

"I found the book "Rich Dad Poor Dad" at the Bank, and then I bought it at the bookstore."

I have not read it, however I have read some reviews about it and it's author. Apparently the deeper anyone digs each example of he guy's 'two' dads are entirely fabricated.

Also the ideas themselves are highly debated.

We like:

"The Millionaire Nextdoor".

icon_smile.gif:)-->

krysilis:

quote:
About all the rest of us - - I know very very few people who have retired and "do nothing". Either they cannot afford to not work and so they work at least part time, or staying home drives them batty and they want or need to get out for some mental stimulation.

I keep busy.

heck i am 56 now and retired in 1995 when i was 45

i was lucky yes lucky, worked for a good co.

i am so busy now i wonder what i did when i was working!

as far as insurance goes... again i am lucky i have good coverage for me and mine at no cost,so this is easy for me to say...if i didn't have it and had no minor dependants i wouldn't worry about haveing any.

what can they do ?through you out of the ambulence if you need it? just a thought. best wishs to you

I can't see myself fully retired. I love my work and enjoy the health benefits of it. My Dad retired at 55 being a Govt. employee. My father in law never fully retired but kept a part time job. My Dad had nothing but major health issues once he retired or should I say forced out. My Father in Law stayed much healthier and did much more traveling in his retirment years. Many men and women from their generation were forced out and found themselves lonely.. feeling somewhat useless and without direction. Our generation seems to treat retirement as an entitlement. Like its owed to us or something. The past generation seemed to have more toughness and dignity molded into their life.

"retired" does not mean dead.

It just means that you have a pension sending you a paycheck each month, so you dont have to go in and punch a timecard everyday.

You can be 'retired' and still keep busy, just now I am able to be busy doing what I want to do, for a change.

quote:
My mom called yesterday and really laid it on me. SHE NEVER DOES THAT!!! She begged me to relocate and get a teaching job.

I'd say listen to your mom.

You'll be more secure financially, you'll be helping others to learn, something that's become more and more important to me as I get older, and you'll still have summers to do your own thing.

I wish you the best of luck.

There is so much wisdom on this board! I just LOVE learning from y'all! (ooohh deja vu all over again)

Wacky, it's great that your house is already paid for! If you can find a job and work just enough hours to get the health insurance or at least be able to pay for it yourself and sock a little $$ away then you'll be just fine. It's definitely possible to find a job doing something you would LOVE and I'm sure you would make a lot of dough with the week-end nanny idea. Babysitters are hard to find and people are willing to pay for a good one like you would be.

Thanks Jim and Belle...

I think the first thing to do is to get everything on paper...then weigh and balance it, pros and cons...I'm not sure teaching is the way to go at this point.

Any other takers? It seems with all the diversity here in GS, there must be other things people are doing, or have done...or even not done...:#

Golly...sometimes it's hard figuring things out...especially when "god'll take care of you"...no worries...yeah...right... icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

quote:
Golly...sometimes it's hard figuring things out...especially when "god'll take care of you"...no worries...yeah...right...

Funny you should mention that. I'm of the opinion that a small amount of worry is actually a good catalyst for decision making.