GreaseSpot Cafe

All twi's 'studying'...and nothing left but shame

CoolWaters

It became obvious to me back in the early 80s that we were getting out of balance. Studying is fine, but twi was moving in a direction that was emphasizing research, too much, imo. Love was flying out the door as the puffed-upness of knowledge, knowledge, knowledge became all-important.

A knowledge of the Bible isn't worth two cents without love, compassion, and trust in God; otherwise it just becomes a series of slogans.

quote:
Originally posted by CoolWaters:

For all of twi's 'studying', for all of twi's 'ever learning', for all of twi's elitism, the most prevelant end state of people who follow twi is shame.

Huh??? icon_confused.gif:confused:--> icon_confused.gif:confused:--> icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

I don't feel any shame. P!ssed off maybe, but not shame. Don't get me wrong -- I think those years were pretty much *wasted* -- but I did the same thing before (and after) twi, and I feel no shame for that either.

I agree 100% with all that has been posted here. We were led down the *knowledge* path, and were steered away from putting that knowledge into action (I Cor. 13). We were taught that we were better than others, and as such -- (my perspective on this), we were to *look down* on anyone who didn't take the class, or fellowship with, or think like twi.

I regret wasting my time, and realize now that I could have done better, but I don't shame myself, or feel shame for having been negligent (in many areas) over the years.

I dunno --- maybe we have a different definition of *shame*??

I don't feel shame. We had a great time in Australia in the mid 1980s when I first got involved with TWI. There was a lot of joy and love for God and each other. We could discuss the Word with people from other denominations without fear of "contamination from debil spiwits", or contaminating the sacred household.

In this country it seemed like things started to go haywire after LCM drew his line in the sand and made people choose between him and Geer.

Everything he taught from that time on appeared to be full of bitterness and hatred for those who he viewed of as not taking a stand with him.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I approve of the sexual mis-conduct that I have since learned about after leaving TWI. Myself and others here in Australia feel betrayed that we invited LCM as an honoured guest to our country and he took advantage of some of our lovely women here, as he has in the USA.

What I am saying is I did appreciate my early experiences in TWI, and the Word of God that I studied during my 13 years there. It can never be completely profitless to study God's Word.

It is sad that such an elite attitude developed at TWI, and such a legalistic one.

I will never again allow anyone to dictate to me who I fellowship with.

Also, I do not believe that any group has cornered the market on truth. If I maintain this awareness then I can happily enjoy fellowshipping with many christians from many denominations, no matter what our doctrinal differences.

I have found that what I have had to demolish is my ego. It is not possible to be right about everything. Only God is right about everything.

I tried not hanging out with any other christians for 7 years because of my ego at not wanting to be "wrong". But because of it I missed out, and so did my kids.

Since I started going to church. Where I do not necessarily agree with everything taught, it has been a wonderful experience. Because I don't care anymore about being "right", I am just happy about hanging out with other people who love God.

I guess we can all ask God who's "right" about everything at the gathering together (or whatever).

LOL

quote:
Also, I do not believe that any group has cornered the market on truth. If I maintain this awareness then I can happily enjoy fellowshipping with many christians from many denominations, no matter what our doctrinal differences.

icon_cool.gif Amen! icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by smurfette:

I agree CW. We should have been studying the life of Jesus Christ so we could truly follow in his footsteps.... So much time on everything except that it seems.

Amen.

piffle starts out with Jesus' promise, then the teacher proceeds to tell us that Jesus wasn't all that important and that we could be like him if we just applied these keys.

by the end, Jesus wasn't even in the picture.

Shame--Don't know about that CW, more like out right Ice Cold Fury folowed by Boiling Rage.

As to the legalistic Twaddle --that drove me nuts since my brain tends to go "numb" when faced with total illogic--spent a lot of time "numb"

THe one thing that I do have to thank TWI for............ Is the fact that constantly having to defend myself, constantly being called on to pray or SIT (it the hopes I'd Mess up) Etc. Eventually left me at the point where I really was no longer afraid of speaking in front of a group. I Have found that to be very useful in the years since.