GreaseSpot Cafe

Franklin, Knoxville, Chatanooga TN Anyone know of these places? Or Murphy NC?

Dot Matrix

My parents lost their home in a hurricane and have been roaming looking for a place to settle in their motorcoach.

They want a retirement community 55 +

Single home, not a cluster nor a duplex, not an apartment nothing like that.

A retirement community.

Are these towns kind? Safe? Would you put your parents there?

Anyone know anything? Does it snow? How cold is it? Is it a small area? Not too big or too small?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Silver Bay, Minnesota has a LOT of retired folks living there. 50 miles north-east of me, on the north shore of Lake Superior.

Yes it snows there, but if they travel in their rv during the winter -- they won't have to worry about the snow or cold. icon_smile.gif:)-->

If you're talking about Franklin, NC, I've been there several times. I went gem mining there. It's a nice place, very small. I was in Chattanooga over the 4th holiday and enjoyed it. I absolutely love Asheville, NC. It's a beautiful town and there are so many interesting things to do, as well as hang out in the mountains. I don't know about the senior population, but I would guess it has it's fair share of retirees. Should be several places for RV's, too, since lots of people travel in the mountains.

Hey my parents are even planning on moving here to minnesota because it is so much cheaper to live than in most places. Of course they won't be here during the winter time...I honestly don't blame them. I'm getting to the place I'm ready to go down south for the winter too.

Murphy is nice if you like small and isolated. The scenery is beautiful but it's a long way from anywhere.

It's in the mountains so it does get some snow but not as much as the northwestern part of NC. It's very much "Mayberry" and I would imagine that the cost of living would be pretty cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

Dot, Gramma Mary asks if they are looking for a single family home or if they are looking for a place to park their motorhome to live in.

Also, do they belong to any RV clubs, like Coast to Coast? Usually they have lots for their members to rent inexpensively.

She also asked if they subscribe to any of the RV-ing magazines. She said that might be a good place to start depending on how much time they have. She's going to look through the ones they have and will cut out anything she thinks is pertinent.

They haven't been in those areas long enough to learn anything about permanent residences. They've only been to RV parks for a week or week-end with their club.

Sorry that's not much to go on, but sh said she'll help any way she can. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Thanks guys.

They are looking for a mild winter. So, Minn is out.

Funny, but we are checking out Chatanooga.

Rascal pi me with the name of the community if you like, or put it here, pls.

Murphy is right across from Blairsville Georgia and it is a lazy mountain area. But you'd be in a great area then find a bunch of loud motorcycles and beer parties --- these are my PARENTS and I am old now. They would have a cow.

I was speaking of Franklin TNN but I will check into the one in NC.

They want single homes in a neighborhood that are 55 + no kids -- like the communities that were destroyed in punta Gorda Florida. I cannot begin to calculate the loss.

Those that pray please pray they find an area they can be happy in. Thank you.

Dott, the place I was thinking about is called *country choice*

It is a group of apt. built by retirees who could no longer afford fla.

There are units to rent from original folks (round 350.00) who have since passed away or you can build your own for about 55 k.

There is a swimming pool and a community room.

Some folks like to garden, there is aprox 38 acres of woodlands to enjoy.

We live close to Franklin Tn, Pulaski, Fayetteville, but are still in the county where we enjoy the deer in the yard at night, sometimes hear the coyotes sing.....we are a little over an hour from nashville`s airport or Huntsville`s airport.

Big cities close by but still the flavor of the country.

Very nice people in the area...MANY of them Fla refugees.

Pretty property around here goes for around 2000 an acre so, is quite reasonable to pick up a few and put a home or park an rv on.

Belle - thanks, they want a single home.

Rascal - They are looking at a community in Knoxville TNN and in neighborhoods in Ft. Olgelthorpe Georgia -- but in the latter their are no 55+ communities.

Do you have regular older neighborhoods? They do not want a neighborhood with young families.

Where are the FL refugees going? Single homes? The apt. choice is not something they are interested in.