GreaseSpot Cafe

Son Married Saturday July 23rd

Eagle

My mentally challenged step-son, Scott, was married this past Saturday to a girl named Heather. One year ago he found her at a homeless shelter and moved her in to his apartment that was supplied by the county. While not the most Christian way of doing things, they decided to get married two months ago to our surprise.

Heather was homeless due to being abandoned by her family at age sixteen. She is a very beautiful girl but has many of the same problems Scott had. No one, including her family, wanted her, so Scott, having the limited intelligence but big heart he had, moved her into his own apartment. Scott slept on the floor while giving her his bed for months.

They began dating after a couple of months, and the two connected easily. Finally, they decided to get married and called a minister and were going to get married next to a trailer in a backwoods town.

My wife (his mother) and I heard about their wedding plans and took them over, moving the wedding to a secluded bed and breakfast where they were married under a beautiful blue sky surrounded by trees and flowers in a rustic setting.

Scott wore a tux we rented for him. My wife bought Heather an amazing looking white wedding dress. Heather went from homeless with torn clothing and rags to looking like Cinderella. The look on their faces was worth all the money spent on it.

Shortly after he got back from his two day stay at the Bed and Breakfast we paid for as a gift, Scott found out a job with the state of Ohio was waiting for him. Since he is disabled, it is a job under supervision and part time, but he was ecstatic that someone would let him work for them. He always was depressed for being fired for being too slow at jobs and being turned down due to his obvious slow appearance.

We are still working on Scott even though he is married. But God has been helping us greatly. I wish the greatest blessings to Scott and Heather in their new life together. Heather has adopted my wife and I as her new parents, sort of.

Eagle

Edited by Eagle

Eagle,

The story of your son and his wife brings tears to my ears. God will richly reward you for your care and love of him during this very special time in his life.

The plight of the mentally challenged is so difficult, and so often they are not allowed (by their families and friends) to fulfill the very basic dreams that most of us aspire to.

My heartfelt prayers and good thoughts go to Scott and Heather......and to you and Scott's mom.....the two of you did an unbelieveable job in raising and giving to your son....and his wife.

ror

quote:
The plight of the mentally challenged is so difficult, and so often they are not allowed (by their families and friends) to fulfill the very basic dreams that most of us aspire to.

My heartfelt prayers and good thoughts go to Scott and Heather......and to you and Scott's mom.....the two of you did an unbelieveable job in raising and giving to your son....and his wife.

ror

To which I say "Amen".

David

Thanks guys,

Scott and Heather took the money we gave them as a present and...bought us a present. We got two DVD movies, one being French Kiss with Meg Ryan and another comedy with Molly Shannon and Will Ferrell, kind of goofy, but then again, Scott likes that stuff. I think Heather picked out French Kiss for "Mom" (my wife Debbie) and Scott picked out the comedy for me, bless his heart. I don't enjoy those comedies but I am not letting him know that. I'll watch it and say it was great.

The movies arrived on Deb's birthday today, her 49th. It might have something to do with that. But whatever, the couple seems pretty greatful for the wedding and short honeymoon we gave them.

We are grateful they have such big hearts for such challenged individuals.

Eagle, you make my heart melt! What wonderful parents y'all are! I'm wiping tears from my eyes. I'm so thankful for people like you and your wife. Here's to a wonderful "happily ever after" to Scott and Heather. You've obviously been a wonderful example.