GreaseSpot Cafe

Have you Ice'd Your Cell Phone?

krys

Thank goodness for "Google" eh!!!

ICE Your Cell Phone For Safety

(Page 1 of 2)

LONDON, July 26, 2005

"The whole idea is that people provide information for the emergency services to help treat you at the scene of an incident."

ICE originator, British paramedic Bob Brotchie

(CBS) A campaign to use cell phones to help in the treatment or identification of accident and disaster victims has taken off worldwide since the first bomb attacks in London earlier this month.

Mobile phone users are being urged to enter a number in their phone's memory with the acronym ICE, for In Case of Emergency, with the contact person's name and number.

Paramedics or police would be able to swiftly to find the number and use it to reach a relative or friend who could help identify deceased victims and treat injured ones, by providing vital personal information, including details of any medical conditions.

The campaign was launched in May this year, but had limited impact until the first series of London blasts. Those explosions rendered many victims unidentifiable, which sparked an e-mail campaign to spread the ICE idea around the world.

ICE is the brainchild of British paramedic Bob Brotchie, who told The Early Show co-anchor Julie Chen Tuesday the idea came to him "just from reflecting on difficulties I've had in obtaining information about patients. The vast majority of people don't carry emergency contact details or next-of-kin details, but the vast majority of people carry cell phones.

"Most (paramedics) spend time looking for a cell phone, not knowing who to call. It occurred to me there might be a uniform way of doing this."

(CBS) But, with ICE before the contact person's name, all a paramedic has to do is search for "ice" to quickly get the name of the person to call.

"The advice," Brotchie says, "is that you first agree with that person that they be that contact, so they're aware of it. They must (be able to) confirm your date of birth, your name, preferably your address. Hopefully, things such as allergies, blood type, any previous medical history that may be relevant, and then we can get that information to the hospital, perhaps before we leave the scene of an accident, and that will expedite treatment. The hope is that the next-of-kin contact can meet us at the hospital at the same time and the treatment will be as rapid as it could possibly be."

Brotchie admits ICE isn't foolproof: "Where somebody locks the phone out, it's not for them at this time. And if the phone is broken in an incident or an accident, it's not going to work. Some may not agree with it. If you don't agree with it, we put information on our Web site so you can carry a card or some sort of contact information.

"The whole idea is that people should provide information for the emergency services to help treat you at the scene of an incident."

Brotchie says ICE could literally be a lifesaver: "It's certainly got the potential to save lives. What is more important, or more likely, is that it will expedite treatment and help people at the earliest opportunity. That's been shown to have major beneficial effects."

Yes, ICE stands for In Case of Emergency: Meaning: in case of an emergency and I find you and your cell phone, who do I need to call?

I've ICE'd my cell phone and I think it's a great idea! I actually have an ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 because if I'm ever hurt and someone needs to get in touch of a loved one of mine, I want them to be able to do so. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> Yeah, I'm that concerned about them being able to find my Mommy if I ever need her. I guess hurricanes and bad car crashes will do that to a gal. redface.gif:o-->

Satori...

I think somebody already came up with that idea. At Scout camp I got recertified for First Aid/CPR/AED and the instructor suggested that we should check wallets if the victim was unconscious. Nothing was mentioned about cell phones.

Maybe I need to go get recertified again since I have no clue how to operate a cell phone well enough to retrieve that information.

If people follow your suggestion, how can they become more reliant on technocrap instead of relying on themselves?

Sometimes you think dangerous thoughts, sir.

I don't carry any identifying information in my wallet.

Not even my drivers license, no sir. Not anymore.

If you find me someday, hit phone book on my cell phone and you'll eventually find one of those people that knows me.

Call the one that says Mom

I have never 'iced' a cellphone.

Two years ago I did lose one overboard while sailing. I still had to pay for the remaining months on the contract, even though the phone was on the bottom of long island sound.

Right now I have a voice message that explains that I am not usually without Verizon-wireless coverage, and to please leave a message so the next time that I travel into the city and get into coverage, the messages will be delivered to me at that time.

I found that lately I dont like wearing a watch anymore (too many bug bites and it gets caught up while walking through the under-brush) So I carry my cellphone more as a time-piece. Sometimes it will alarm when the 'system' has recieved a new voice message for me. So then I know that I really should drive into town some day soon to receive that voice message.

: )

ICE is good, however two follow up comments are posted on:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/icephone.asp

First I throw this in: warning, expect hoax claims of viruses etc. that can be sent via text messages to retrieve this "personal data" etc. Please ignore those hoaxes, they are false.

Secondly, this suggestion (from a comment on snopes):

As the Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD) has noted, ICE entries in cell phone address books should be used in addition to (not in place of) more standard forms of identification:

Contrary to several chain e-mail warnings, ICE is not something that Paramedics will rush to look for the instant they arrive at an emergency, and is certainly not required in order for LAFD Paramedics to provide quick, focused and compassionate emergency care.

We tell people: Add ICE to your cell phone only after you've affixed similar information to (or near) the official photo identification you routinely carry in your wallet.

Why?

With so many types and brands of wireless phones, it can take precious minutes to learn how to access a phone's directory. Many wireless devices are also found to be locked, damaged or have discharged batteries following an incident, rendering ICE unusable.

Please do encourage your interested friends and colleagues to make an ICE entry in their cell phone, especially if it will give them peace of mind — but not at the expense of written emergency contact and medical information.

~HAP

When Bonnie was in the cardiac ward this past November, I bought her a necklace to carry her nitro- pills in. Since then she has found that numerous others that she works with have also had heart attacks, however few few of them carry their pills with them. At first when I got her the necklace she did not wear it either, but two weeks later she had her second attack and was not able to reach her pills. Now she has not taken it off since.

We both find it interesting:

1)- that so few post-HA survivors carry their pills,

2)- that just about every fireman and peramedic that sees her will all remark about how smart she is for carrying her pills in a necklace (they generally all imediately recognize what it is, from a distance).

Here is a question for you. Have any of your friends ever had a heart attack? Do they carry their pills? Could you find their pills for them, if they were having problems?

Or like Bonnie's boss, are their pills locked up in the truck out in the parking lot?