GreaseSpot Cafe

How many of you got born again, and/or spoke in tongues before you took PFAL?

Ham

Grew up catholic,so did not learn alot about god

then in the service a gentleman prayed for me

and I felt I was saved.

As for speaking in tounges,it was jan 77 in good ole gulfport miss that I first lashantaed

what a rush Better than drugs!No one can take that away.

You can say what you want Twi selling point was genuine

Through the years it has had an impact,Now if you want to say it is a mantra or chanting go ahead it still works for me.

There is alot of people who may never speak in tounges,and they may be more truthful have more heart than I ever could.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your comments, Mr. 123..

I will be among many of the first to speak up and say I actually DID get something good out of it..

I still tend to agree that the phenomena of SIT has merit also.

Maybe the whole point of this is, perhaps "the way" of holiness is SO simple, most of us didn't NEED the class to walk it, and class after class to "master" it. It was apparently simple enough for practically EVERY believer in the first century to do it..

The idea that the PFAL brand of salvation and wholeness is better than all others- that somehow, it made ME better than the rest.. kind of stinks.

quote:
Originally posted by Bramble:

Allan--the Pentacostal Church I went to was a converted house, back in 1973, unaffiliated with any big denomination--a rebel, if you will.

Times have changed, man. How many churches nowdays have SIT or groups that SIT? Heck, I even know some charismatic Roman Catholics.

Times changed longer ago than you think.

I, personally, am aware that there were Roman Catholic

CLASSES, Roman Catholic CHARISMATICS, and BOOKS on Charismatics

in the Roman Catholic Church in the SEVENTIES.

twi didnt exist in a void.

Just as other groups benefited from the Jesus People movement,

many groups were talking charismatics at the time, back when

vpw was putting forth he was the "only" one teaching them.

quote:

(snip)

Life since we left has constantly improved.

Put down other churches all you want, Allan,--I know how ugly life in TWI was. Now, I could gloss over all the yucky stuff and constantly parrot the happy memories--but what would be the point? To help people join TWI. Not doing that! Not raising my kids in it.

Quite a good point. The times changed, indeed.

But leave it to the vicster to claim HE was the big motivation for the change. I sat and listened to the crap too- "the churches are FORCED to change because of our bold stand for da word.."

Well, sincerity is no guarantee for truth. I guess charismatic renewal is not, either.

Perhaps folks got what they got in spite of the organization- seems the case for other groups too.

quote:
seems the case for other groups too.

Lest anyone take offense- I am not branding all of them as money grubbing glory mongers. I think there were (are) still a lot of loving sincere folks around. Some of them even ended up in der vey..

quote:
Times have changed, man. How many churches nowdays have SIT or groups that SIT? Heck, I even know some charismatic Roman Catholics.

HA! Time for me to put my 2 cents worth in here. wink2.gif;)-->

Although I was raised catholic, once (many decades ago) while visiting my Grandma in S. Illinois, I wandered from the house, found myself in a little Pentecostal church a few blocks away, and answered the altar call when they gave it.

Mine has been a fierce search. Going wherever I felt I needed to be. Hoping (always) that I was headed the correct direction. One of the *outfits* I ended up with (in the years following) was a group of Charismatic Catholics, and they were the ones who led me into speaking in tongues.

With them it was all praise and worship --- no *practical* side to it in terms of intercession, etc. Regardless -- they taught me how to do it (previously I had thought it to be a gift), and they even used the analogy of the car battery that powers many things in the auto --- just like docvic did later, when I took pfal.

The only thing I got from pfal about SIT was the fact that it is a viable prayer entity for us to use. I already knew how to do it, and the altar call long ago was my entrance to Paradise --- not pfal.

David

I had done the SIT think prior to my days with TWI. In fact when I took PFAL I was asked to suppress this information from the other students and ,at session 12, behave as if it was my first time. I did not comply with those requests and talked openly about it to another student. Nothing happened though I was asked to talk about what materials I had used to gain a knowledge of SIT and when I told them it had been a group of roaming christians I got the hairy eyeball and someone questioned whether or not my "tongues" were authentic. I recall at session 12 that they listened intently to verify the authenticity of my "tongues". I guess they were satisfied.