GreaseSpot Cafe

Another one

Shellon

8/24/2005 - Missing Boy Found

MILWAUKEE (AP) - A missing boy has been found in Phoenix with a man wanted on a child sex charge. Thirteen-year-old Justin Terlecki apparently took a bus to Arizona from his home in Milwaukee at the urging of a man he met online. Investigators tracked an e-mail address to the apartment of 32-year-old Vernon Monk and officers were waiting when he and the boy drove up. Phoenix police say Monk was arrested for investigation of custodial interference and failure to register in Arizona as a sex offender. They say the man also is wanted on an Oklahoma warrant for a sexual offense against a minor. The boy's mother says he'd been communicating with adults on the Internet despite safeguards and blocks she put on his computer.

A friend told me about this one:

quote:
A 31 year-old Aurora man is suspected of sexually assaulting at least 18 children by posing as a teenager.

Zuri-Kye McGhee was arrested last month at a home where he was living with an 11 year-old boy and his parents. He originally told investigators that he was 13 years old.

Police haven't said anything about his arrest until now because detectives were looking for other potential victims. They say he met his alleged victims, who range in age from 9 to 13, by volunteering at schools and churches.

A 31 year old man posed as a teen for quite some time and its reported he molested both boys and girls, some up to 100 times. Any bets how soon he will be back on the streets?

To make light of the severe emotional and psychological damage done a child who is sexually abused is not funny. For many it lasts a lifetime, affecting their relationships with others and causing suffering to them, their family and all concerned.

I've been re-reading a book titled "Let's Take Back Our Streets" by Reuben Greenberg. Chief Greenberg was chief of police in Charleston, South Carolina for many years. While none of the chapters specifically address pedophilia, the general principles he espouses do. He advocates making life so difficult for criminals they quickly go elsewhere. Now if Elsewhere, USA, doesn't want them, they are free to do the same. He casts a very jaundiced eye on social workers, psychologists, and other do-gooders, because he believes that somewhere along the line, the criminal made a choice, a decision to rob that bank, grab that old lady's purse, shoot at that neighbor, whatever. And he believes that criminals should be held accountable for their crimes and punished to the fullest extent of the law. No plea bargaining, no parole.

Of course, this book was written in 1989, and I'm sure most people would look upon him as a Neanderthal, to say the kindest. But criminals are not nice. And if it isn't happening in your neighborhood, it will, as long as criminals are looked upon as unfortunate souls who need help, love, and understanding, rather than individuals who made a choice to do what they are doing.

I think if I knew a convicted sexual predator lived in my neighborhood, I would put a big sign up in my front yard:

MR. X AT XXX (MY STREET) IS A CONVICTED SEXUAL PREDATOR! KEEP YOUR KIDS AWAY FROM HIM!

Now perhaps I would cause enough embarrassment to Mr. X that he would move away, before the ACLU got on my a$$ for my unloving attitude. But if one parent read that sign and took heed, it would be worth the effort. It's not just the police that can take back our streets, our safety, our security. Citizens have to act, too.

WG

quote:
Originally posted by Watered Garden:

Now perhaps I would cause enough embarrassment to Mr. X that he would move away, before the ACLU got on my a$$ for my unloving attitude.

As long as you are not posting this in a public right-of-way, you have every right to do so on your property. Mr. X's status as a convicted sexual predator is a matter of public record; your opinion that people should keep their kids away from him is your constitutionally-protected opinion (at least for the moment icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> )