GreaseSpot Cafe

THe rest of the World

templelady

templelady, went to England Dec. 2001 right after 9-11. We met our friends who live in US now but are from there. We visited their families and explored many sites that even they had not seen. Windsor Castle, London (ate at Hard Rock Cafe!!), many other things.

1. Cayman Islands (for scuba diving)

2. Hawaii

3. Northern England

4. Italy

5. Australia

Well, I cant think of any more that I REALLY want to visit. I have been to Mexico (Cancun, Cozymel, Playa del Carmen, Mayan Ruins),

Jamaica, Bahamas, and England.

Only two on your list I've been to

Tokyo

Beijing

Tokyo is just a huge modern city. Ueno park is O.K. for awhile (in the spring there is a group of tents set up near the pond where they sell Japanese Antiques and the like). "Akihibara" (Electric City) is kind of fun if you want to shop for the latest in electronic gadgetry. Some great restaurants, but you'll do best if you like Japanese cuisine. They try to cook other ethnicities, but trust me, you'll do better with simply Japanese food. To get a real taste of Japan, though, get on the Shinkansen at Tokyo Station and head north to Nikko. You'll have to take a local train also, but it's more than worth the trip. Fabulous temples and scenery, Ieyasu Tokugawa's tomb (he was the first Shogun of a united Japan) and great little Minshukus (Japanese B&Bs).

Beijing was more fun than I could imagine. More activity and construction and things happening all over town. It's currently in the center of one of the biggest economic booms in history. The Great Wall is nearby, as are the Ming Tombs. Lots of great shops, Peking Duck (YES, you have to), and just lots of neat quirky things that WILL happen. A GREAT time. The air pollution is absolutely horrific though. Don't spend more than 4 or 5 days in town or you'll develop the infamous "hack".

quote:
10. Rome

Rome is a great place to go if you want to find a plethora of priests willing to *bless* anything from a dollar bill, to a picture from your wallet, to your personal automobile, and seal the deal by the sign of the cross over it, and the immortal words:

In nomini Domini, pox vobiscum!". icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

David

I have been saving my frequent flyers for 20 years for a "round the world" ticket.

Delta...oh oh icon_eek.gif

My list is very short, as I've been everywhere I've wanted to go mostly.

1- New Zealand (which I may do in February or April)

2- Tazmania

3- Iceland

4- Egypt

5- Capetown, Africa

6- Madagascar

7- and last but not least...in fact, it's my #1 choice...Antarctica. I've been trying to get on an oceanographic cruise for years now to no avail. icon_frown.gif:(-->

That's about it for me.

I'll add Frankfurt, Germany.

I had a few days there accidentally last March.

I was returning from r&r leave and the leg of my journey from Atlanta, GA to Frankfurt, Germany ended in a crash.

Well, not a crash and burn...ok, not a really real crash...ok, not even a crash, but the plane landed broken and couldn't take off for four whole days.

The only thing that I didn't like in Germany was the currency exchange. But for an unintended vacation filled with sight-seeing by train, it's an event that I fully intend on repeating someday.

The cards were received a day before I was transferred to another camp...the first sargeant was thrilled and I gave him your address, he said he was going to write.

I called and talked to...uh...the secretary, I forgot his name.

Again, thank you-- thank you-- thank you to all the guys there...

The prayers are very appreciated too

From somebody who lived two years in Frankfurt, I am not that fond of Frankfurt, but there is a HUGE amount that is nice near there.

Really, the only "fun" part of Frankfurt that I saw in my time of living there was Sachsenhausen, south of the Main river. Otherwise, imho, its just another modern city.

Wiesbaden is a nice city, as is Mainz. The Taunus Mountains are gorgeous. Koenigstein is a pretty little medievel town. Frankfurt is within a very short travel to the vineyards of the Rhein and the Mosel rivers.

The best (imho, again) part of Frankfurt is that it is a HUGE transportation hub. You can get almost anywhere in Europe from Frankfurt...and that is VERY convenient.

Having said this, if you're a single, young soldier, then I understand that the Kaiserstrasse district may have some sights worth seeing, but that likely doesn't apply to most of us wink2.gif;)--> angelkit.gifangelkit.gifangelkit.gif