GreaseSpot Cafe

Internet Connection Speed Test

pawtucket

Dante,

For dial up that is a-okay. The maximum "ideal" speed that you could get would be 56 kbps down. But you never get what is the ideal

I think it is partly dependent on how close you are to the phone switching station (or whatever it is called). When I was like a block away, I would get real close to 56k, but now rural I get 25 or so. Also the modem can be more sensitive maybe .. I had one that seemed to be much better, but it lasted about 10 days and got fried by lightning.

Pawtucket, do you find that your IP address changes frequently on you FIOS? Mine changes almost by the hour at one location. But at my other location it stays the same for days.

I gotta get that resolved. I am thinking it might be a hardware issue. Verizon is investigating. Any clues? It is a nice SMC Router at both locations, not the D-Link one they provide.

My friend just got the "higher speed" Fios and he is very pleased. I am going to upgrade soon too but still testing the waters. Awesome speed.

Edited by igotout

• 3 months later...

I just took the speed test again after upgrading my computer to Windows XP Pro and downloaded the newest drivers through the Microsoft updates for my conextant modem.

Now i find that my 56k modem is doing

for uploading and downloading.

could that be because of the newer drivers?? or XP or both?