GreaseSpot Cafe

Plasma or LCD

Hills Bro

as most of you know I love my sports ...as season tickets get higher and higher every year I am convinced that the way to go is to get a widesceen TV that will give you a picture that is as real as being there. HD is a must. For the cost of most LCDs or Plasmas I will drop my season tickets to the Sabres. I'll still be ahead in what I save in ticket cost by purchasing a TV. I am looking at both 36 in plasma and LCDs. I really like the new Sharp Aquos LCD. The plasmas clearly give you a more detailed picture but its cost is higher. I have been told that the plasma has a very low life expectancy compared to an LCD. So whats your take on this?

In the end I want to be able to see the puck clearly at all times..every shot..every goal..and even the nasal hairs of all those tough players not wearing those sissy shields. Years ago before shields came about a true hockey player considered all those facial zipper scars and false teeth as badges of honor. What ever happened to real men? :D

When it comes to football..I want it as real as it gets. 3D lifelike. I want to hear the hits and see the bones break. :wave: I know...I am a mad man with a remote :evildenk::angry:

Hills- and anyone else thinking about a new tv ought to check out Crutchfield Advisor to get a good education on TV's and how to make the best choice. They cover lots of other electronics as well.

As to which model I like to check sites like Dealtime that list models buy popularity and link to reviews which can give me insight as to which particular model might fit my needs.

Some personal thoughts on the subject- DLP screens are awsome to look at but I have heard that you have to expect to have projection bulbs burn out - they are a couple hundred bucks a pop and that the best thing to do is buy an extended warranty.

The full HD dot pitch is 1920 x 1080- most hd ready TV's are currently 1366 x 768 - not quite what I consider true hd tv. Over the next year most models will incorporate 1920x1080 and also go down in price by about 30%

I prefer the flat panel LCD's

I have a DLP 52" Panosonic. I don't like as well as my 53" regular projection TV. One thing about the DLP is that you can see it from all angles which is nice. Yes the DLP bulbs burn out and do not from what I have read, don't last nearly as long as the thousands of hours they say they do. For my tv the bulb is $300. I did buy the protection plan at Circut City but from what I understand even with the protection plan they will only replace the bulb once. I hope my TV blows up so I can replace it. hmm I have a generator that puts out 220v. That should take care of it. :D

My suggestion is: Find a picture that you like, then research it. ;)

Also I understand the new HD boxes are much better than ones the few years ago.

A good surround sound system is a must too. Don't fall for that Bose 3 speaker simulated surround sound (what a joke). I went to buy a surround sound system and went into the speaker room at Circut City and compared the sound. I went with Polk speakers and the sub woofer. They blew out the Bose and Jensons in the same price range ($400 - $600) and I have not had one bit of problems with them.

Good luck :wave:

DLP definitely. Cheaper and better than plasma. The one Tom has is awesome. Here is mine (same brand, Samsung) but I only had room for a 50".

Samsung 50" with computer

And by the way it's not a half bad computer screen either if you wanna get into all that geek stuff like I enjoy. I have XP and Greasespot shown on mine in the picture.

But the best picture of ALL tv pictures is the good old CRT style. That is if you have a modern one. The largest they make is a 36" and they are heavy as hell and deep. But you will not find a better picture. We decided on a 36" Sony for our bedroom. It has a flat screen and it is an awesome picture from all angles. (But they suck as computer monitors.)

But no doubt the coolest looking TV is a flat one.

Oh, and if you want big.....real big...look into projectors. They have come down in price and are producing some outstanding pictures today using DLP and LCD technologies.

Edited by igotout

Thanks for the many suggestions.

EX,,, Plasma...hehehehe..see blood... I get it. Hey.. I'm a dumb pollock...little slow

Well I went with this baby... Sharp 37 LCD Aquos

11262610_640.jpg

Got my cable switched to HD and got to see my first hockey game last night...I could clearly see the facial stitches on the players. I'm happy!!!

Nice TV John.. I did come close to buying that one but I was totally sold on the picture quality of Sharps Aquos. My son has the 27 inch and is very happy with his too.

Where's my remote? :biglaugh::wave:

Edited by Hills Bro

Hills.........

I just need to warn you of one hitch in having a killer tv and killer satellite programming (can you say SUNDAY TICKET?????)

EVERYONE YOU KNOW WILL WANT TO COME TO YOUR HOUSE!!! People that barely know you will stop by when their team is playing.........and dont plan on any half time quickies........someone you know will definitely show up unannounced..............

Just ask........Justloafing :o

ror

I just need to warn you of one hitch in having a killer tv and killer satellite programming (can you say SUNDAY TICKET?????)

______

RR.. :biglaugh::biglaugh: Thanks for the advise...better make a beer run....wait a minute...now that the NFL will be on both Saturday and Sunday till the Super Bowl I better get a keg to cover the extra day...hehehe everyones welcome...no Bills jokes please...talk about a franchise that has tanked :offtopic: ;) :wave:

Now ..the Hockey team in Buffalo is a different story..the Sabres are one of the best in the NHL.

PARTY ON !!! :dance::dance: