GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI & FOIA: FBI; ATF; NSA; & IRS

jkboehme

Per diazbro (from the 1976 timeframe thread...):

Reading through this thread I note that many of us talk about the alleged, attempted overthrow of the US government. This is a prime example of how Way teachings were verbally communicated perhaps so TWI could never be held accountable for it at some future time.

I point this out only because during Waydale and Gspot there have been people who have *vehemently* denied the whole conspiracy thing took place because it was never documented in writing. (They say things like "Show me where it was written and I'll believe it"). The odd thing is that most of the people making such denials were in fact active Way members at that time so I'm not sure what investment they are trying to protect by claiming it didn't happen. Of course one sees this form of denial a lot less these days on the forums but there are people who do continue to seek ways to justify and rationalize VPW's behavior even if it means attempting to change history or deny that certain things happened.

I also place into this category the teaching that aggressive witnessing would hasten the return of christ. That was never written down either (to the best of my knowledge) yet some people deny that such an idea was ever promoted even though the bulk of people I encounter from that time know damn well that it was. There are other examples of this type of thing but these two come to mind since I've seen both mentioned here in the thread.

Speaking more generally. Even more disturbing were attempts to marginalize those posting their accounts of firsthand abuse by saying "Well I was in TWI for a long time and I never saw of heard of anything like that happening. Are you sure that perhaps you aren't confusing things or maybe embellishing things ? Where were you ? I knew Reverened so and so and he would NEVER do anything like you describe. And I was at HQ so I'm certain if something like that was happening I would have known about it".

Oh great. We all know the whole "lock box" thing and how like 10 people could see something happen only to be told to put it in the lock box so thereafter everyone denied that something even happened. This is the damaging thing about some folks who are still invested in TWI even if they long ago left. They still are protecting TWI and its leaders by perpetuating myths and denials about things. Again. I don't see it that much anymore but it was standard behavior at Waydale and the early days of Gspot.

________________________________________________________________________________

________

Though officially denied by TWI, many of us are familiar, if not blatant eyewitnesses, of TWI's stockpiling of weapons. With VPW's extremist rightwing views in concert with the Liberty Lobby et al, in retrospect this is not surprising. VPW told us that it was quite likely that TWI members would need to go 'underground.' We were advised to obtain weapons not only for our personal protection, but probably more important in VPW's mind, the protection of 'God's one true Ministry, TWI.'

VPW presented this spiritual-political conspiracy information as though he received by 'revelation,' but as Sunesis has pointed out, he got this extremist info via the Liberty Lobby & its publication, the SpotLight. An aspect of this many gsers may not be familiar with is that at one time it was alleged that VPW / TWI had an interest in acquiring nuclear weapons. Some of the above listed federal agencies appear to have information in their files regarding this chapter in TWI history, as well as the Dept. of the Navy.

Now what in the world would an extremist, paranoid, alcoholic, rightwing cult leader want with nuclear capability?

Would he need to invoke a nuclear winter to protect TWI, that is, his source of income & the means of fulfillment of his selfish interests?

Any thoughts?

Edited by jkboehme

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK: nuclear weapons??! That is going way beyond any line I know of-at least before 1982. Come on! Yes, there was some wackiness in the seventies and early eighties. There was a huge push in the Tenth Corp one block where we had to stockpile food, water, weapons, and odd survival gear: I remember it clearly because I couldn't find enough people out in the real world, even my sponsors, who could pony up the extra money we each needed to get the supplies, I never heard any of the conspiricy talk directly from VPW, only from the Corps leadership. Nobody liked us-we were the ememy-we would be the targets in any attempted takeover by a foreign government, etc., etc. Our weapons training amounted to shooting a rifle and a shotgun at a practice range. After that wild ride-and yes it was scary at the time-nothing seemed to come of it, and things returned to normal(?) soon enough. Was all that part of the Corps training as advertised-no. Was it written down somewhere-no. Did it happen-oh, yeah. But the emphasis was on training in the Word-not starting a war. Let's not make VPW as a warmonger: whatever his faults (and they were there, I will conceed) he was not the insane cult leader you're try to make him out to be. If anything, he was responding-or his people were overracting-to the situation of the times we were living in.

who alleged that TWI had interest in a acquiring nuclear weapons? members? locals? the agencies? you?

JKB do you have copies of said documents? post them! You say they have info on this period of time in TWI, Do they give evidence of the pursuit of nuclear weapons?

Be it far from me to give a dang about covering for tWI, but you are asking us to believe this statement based on your post? what is this, an attempt to get Bush to attack new knoxville? The intelligence on them is about as valid as it was on Iraq.

bah humbug.

~HAP

at one time it was alleged that VPW / TWI had an interest in acquiring nuclear weapons. Some of the above listed federal agencies appear to have information in their files regarding this chapter in TWI history, as well as the Dept. of the Navy.

________________________________________________________________________________

________

Anything can be alleged by anybody at any time: many good men and women's lives have been ruined by people alleging things they had no clue about: speculation and half-truths may sell at lot of papers, but people who buy them are just compounding the problem. You have provided some invaluable information in recent weeks: let's not pollute it with garbage like this! ;) ;)

Edited by topoftheworld

Get the quoting right topoftheworld. I NEVER said that TWI had an interest in obtaining nuclear weapons. JKBoheme quoted a post of mine and used it as a basis for discussing TWI's interest in weapons but my post mentioned NOTHING about nukes.

Edited by diazbro

Get the quoting right HAPe4me. I NEVER said that TWI had an interest in obtaining nuclear weapons. JKBoheme quoted a post of mine and used it as a basis for discussing TWI's interest in weapons but my post mentioned NOTHING about nukes.

Unless my eyes are getting older than I think they are, HAP did not refer in the least to you (diazbro). Hap was, I think, pointing out that JKB brought up the subject, with the vague "at one time it was alleged" without even hinting who alleged such. I think you meant to refer to topoftheworld, and even then I think TOTW just deleted the unwanted part of the quote too quickly, appearing to connect you to the statement. Understandable for you to correct, but I know I am capable of such a goof. (I dount it was intentional).

Okay you are correct. It was top of the world. So I'll get MY quoting right. Also neither do I think it was intentional but I don't think that any of us want to

be misconstrued as saying something that we know we didn't especially if we are talking about something as serious as nuclear weaponry. I never mentioned anything about nukes and I would like him to edit his post to reflect that.

It says "Per diazbro":

at one time it was alleged that VPW / TWI had an interest in acquiring nuclear weapons. Some of the above listed federal agencies appear to have information in their files regarding this chapter in TWI history, as well as the Dept. of the Navy.

Edited by diazbro

...and I'm sure I'm capable of getting a name wrong when I'm in a rush. and I don't blame you at all for not wanting to be incorrectly associated with such a statement...or anything incorrectly quoted, but this one does seem to be particularly rather far out. Which is why, IMHO, it would be interesting to know who made such allegations, if anyone did.

My optical scanner has a gremlin so I am going to just relate the pertinent info of the FIOPA {Freedom of Information & Privacy Act} that is available.

The original FBI document is dated August 23, 1977. I don’t know what the following classifications indicate but will just list it here.

FOIPA No. 0997927-000

CVO375 2351622Z

RR HQ BA CI HI

R 231620Z

FM Cleveland (117-80)

To Director Routine

Baltimore Routine

Cincinnati Routine

Honolulu Routine

BT

Clear

The enclosed documents were reviewed under the Freedom of Information/Privacy Acts (FOIPA), Title 5, United States Code, Section 552/552a. Deletions have been made to protect information which is exempt from disclosure, with the appropriate exemptions noted on the page next to the excision. In addition, a deleted page information sheet was inserted in the file to indicate where pages were withheld entirely. The exemptions used to withhold information are marked below and explained on the enclosed Form OPCA-16a.

131 pages were reviewed and 112 pages are being released. Documents were located which originated with, or contained information concerning other Government agencies [OGA]. This information has been referred to OGA for review and direct response.

DMH, Section Chief

Record/Information Dissemination Section

Records Management Division

Alleged plot by organization “Way International” Founder Victor Paul Wierwille to explode nuclear bomb, AEA, 00 : Cleveland.

Re Baltimore teletype to Director, August 18,1977.

Cleveland Division has in the past conducted several investigations involving the “Way International”, New Knoxville, Ohio. Victor Wierwille is almost totally inaccessible for interview and is surrounded by corporate attorneys who in the past have been hostile towards the Bureau. It is believed that with no more details than Baltimore has provided regarding the building of a nuclear weapon by the “Way International” a productive interview with Wierwille is impossible at this time.

If allegation re nuclear weapon is true, Cleveland will obtain authorization from AUSA, Ohio, for Federal prosecution and would be interested in recovering atomic material from the “Way International” and xxxxxxxxx [jkb note: this is apparently how the FBI protects via FOIPA the identity of some of the parties involved]. An interview by Cleveland at this time would alert subject to Bureau’s interest and knowledge and would make subsequent investigation and prosecution more viscous.

Baltimore xxxxxxxxxxx Maryland, re-interview source and determine pertinent details re his knowledge of xxxxxxx to include identity and location. Additionally, determine where bomb is being constructed and any other pertinent details. As info may later be testimony, provide Cleveland with FD 302 re interview.

Baltimore should protect Baltimore source as informant in this matter.

Cleveland at New Knoxville3, Ohio, upon receipt of additional info re identity of xxxxxxx and location re nuclear device allegedly being constructed, will interview Victor Paul Wierwille re his knowledge. If a valid violation of Federal law is apparent, present matter to AUSA, Toledo, Ohio, for his prosecutive opinion.

On August18,1977, a source, whose reliability has not been established, advised that the has associated with the “Way International” for approximately xxxx years and associated with them while attending xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. He described the organization as a Christian cult founded by Victor Paul Wierwille, who believes himself to be a prophet. He recently attended the Rock of Ages Festival in Sidney, Ohio, where approximately 14,000 people attended at the fairgrounds. This festival was attended by the Word Over the World (WOW) members, who have gone out and recruited new members.

Source appears to be very intelligent and believes honestly that the organization has the potential for developing a bomb. He stated that many members are in the military services and would do any directive for the “Way International” and believes there are currently 50,000 members.

BT

Alleged plot by organization “Way International” Founder Victor Paul Wierwille to explode nuclear bomb, AEA, 00 : Cleveland....

Source appears to be very intelligent and believes honestly that the organization has the potential for developing a bomb.

BT

Now I have heard everything. :D

Diazbro: My cut and paste efforts inadvertently gave you a headache: my apologies. My comment was intended for jkboehme on the comments he made, not you. I will be more careful in the future.

Lifted Up: Thanks for the correction, and yes, it was a boo-boo on my part.

jkboehme: I stand by my point, which was the use of the word "Alleged"-the report itself makes it clear the the "source" had not been determined to be credible: if it was determined at some later point to be credible, and there is something to the story, where is the follow-up? So far, all they had was a description of the Rock. Yes, there were potentials for bomb's to be created, but not the "Nuclear" kind.

TOTW

I was hoping that you could tell me where the follow-up is! I don’t need two hands to find my butt in the dark because it is already, gulp, glowing!

And all this time, while at the ROA of times past, I thought the vague fluorescent glow under the harvest moon was just the well-watered corn!

We know VPW horded a bit of yellow gold, perhaps enriched himself with a bit of black gold, but this U Rainy Yum stuff is scarry!!

Could any of our ex-twi former or current military perhaps enlighten us on this aspect of corporate TWI's weapons fascination?

Hi Cynic,

Let's see, last I heard, Tommy Lee Jones advised Will Smith {in Men in Black I} where Elvis was, but darn, I forget what he said.

jkb ;)

ok i don't know what time frame this fits

but i was at emporia and placed in a group where we would go underground or in the wilderness or something "together" we might start out with a full tank of gas but we would end up on foot

we bought silk sea sponges for tampons (gross) you wash them out and reuse them

i had to find a place we would go but i couldn't tell the person about the secret of why we were coming (some takeover or end of the world)

so i called my dear dear friend and sponsor. she had a farm and i thought that would be a good place

when i called her, i said something like, can we come there? and she was like, what ? who ? when ? i said i can't tell you, but can we come there ? she loved me enough to say yes but what in the hell could she be thinking ? i said something like, i can't tell you, but trust me

ohmygod this is too weird

i also had a very expensive backpack called a malpack - more abundant living pack or something like that - i always get it wrong, not good with those abbreviations. i had candles and rope and all kinds of stuff that i did not know how to use

in my mind i was saying - when the enemy comes for my death, you know the word or whatever the alternative was, i'm going to say, shoot me now..... i'm not a good survivor

they were talking about seeing your mother eating out of a garbage can and somehow that was related to your commitment to the word but i forget

it was too creepy

i think i blocked it, especially the part about my dear mother

holy christ

igotout remember when i called you about this ?

The principal concern that I had seen was with connections between domestic groups and overseas groups, where the overseas groups might use the domestic groups as facilitators to import and use WMDs. Having said that, I didn't see such a connection made involving right-wing militia groups at all. (At the time, the principle concern in this area was a left-wing group in the states having contact with a group overseas that was a front for the Speznaz -- when I was working that stuff, it was long before the OKC bombing)

But keep in mind that there are a lot of people who talk really "big" and this is not to say that somebody might not have heard rumors within TWI that they might not have boasted about something that had no basis in reality (of course, we all KNOW that nobody in TWI exaggerated at all, now don't we? :blink: :rolleyes: ) and a person, hearing it for the first time, may have taken it seriously and then done his/her civic duty and reported it to the FBI.

If the FBI gets any kind of word on this type of subject, they are going to check it out -- they have to -- if, for no other reason, to verify that it isn't credible. According to the message you extracted, that was the conclusion -- that the report was found to be not credible.

Now apparently you have 111 more pages of FOIA'd documents: if there is something of interest in any of those other pages, I'd be happy to see it..

Next installment

FBI Communications Section

October 19, 1977

Alleged plot by organization “Way International” founder Victor Paul Wierwille to explode nuclear bomb; AEA, 00: Cleveland.

Re Honolulu teletypes to Bureau, October 11, 1977 & October 12, 1977

Baltimore & Cleveland disregard request re advisability of contacting xxxxx. Xxxxx contacted FBI, AGANA, Guam requesting to furnish information in this matter.

Xxxxx in company of xxxxx was interviewed at the Naval Investigative Service Office, Naval Air Station, Guam, on October 19, 1977.

Xxxxx is an active member of WOW & spent some time attempting to proselytize the interviewing agent.

Xxxxx speculated that misinformation about the bomb could have come from xxxxx, indicating that at the conversation in the trailer, only he and xxxxx were privy to statements made by xxxxx. No comment was made as to the source of information.

Cleveland may wish to consider requesting Baltimore to contact its source to determine the identity of other persons present at the conversation. Cleveland may also wish to consider recontacting this same source to determine any specific statements xxxxx recalls xxxxx or xxxxx making which led xxxxx to believe that the project on which xxxxx is working is an atomic bomb rather than some other energy device.

BT

To: Director, Federal Bureau of Investigation

Subj: NAVSUBASE New London Groton CT / Proselytizing Activities

Date: 04-20-1979

Sources:

• ______________
  • ______________
  • ______________
  • ______________

Summary:

Source (1) reported that an international study group, The Way International, had engaged in proselytizing activities directed at Navy personnel assigned to the U.S. Naval Submarine Base, New London, CT

Source (1) expressed concern that the mind control techniques utilized by the group over its followers and recruitment of military personnel might prejudice national security since loyalty and subservience to the organization &/or its leaders are placed above anything else…

Source (1) also reported that xxxxx inquiries had developed information that The Way International was utilizing females to befriend sailors assigned to the submarine base at New London and use them as a vehicle for later approach for joining the group. Two girls identified by nicknames xxxxx & xxxxx purportedly were wiling or had engaged in sexual relations with potential recruits for the organization in hopes that their sexual favors would sway the men into joining. Time frame when such recruitment supposedly occurred was thought to have been during the summer of 1978…

The Way International had developed another base of operations in the Tampa. FL, area and that the organization is under investigation in Ohio by the Internal Revenue Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation….Source also provided the names of “well positioned” personnel who support or are members of The Way International…

Source (1) expressed concern that the mind control techniques utilized by the group over its followers and recruitment of military personnel might prejudice national security since loyalty and subservience to the organization &/or its leaders are placed above anything else…

And there you have it.

Instead of thinking that all the believers wanted was to win some members of the military to the Lord Jesus Christ, one man's paranoia (source #1) leads some in the FBI to suspect that Vierville wants a nuclear weapon to explode.

*bang*

Happy Ho Ho Relo Countdown: 4 days :D

And there you have it.

Instead of thinking that all the believers wanted was to win some members of the military to the Lord Jesus Christ, one man's paranoia (source #1) leads some in the FBI to suspect that Vierville wants a nuclear weapon to explode.

*bang*

Happy Ho Ho Relo Countdown: 4 days :D

Oldies:

You aren't reading the reports properly.

The first report was from Baltimore in 1977, where an individual (likely a walk-in) [call him subject-1] said that he was concerned about VPW making a bomb. He described the WOW field, size of TWI, and size of WOW festival in '77.

The first report was from Guam, a couple of months later. This source [subject-2] was interviewed by NIS in the presence of another individual (perhaps his master chief). He discounted the info from the first person.

Now, what it sounds like is the subject-2 was named by the subject-1 and that the subject-2 gave some additional information to substantiate his denial.

The third report apparently has nothing to do with the first two (I may be wrong, there are still 109 pages to go LOL). But it appears that this source [subject-3] spoke to the NIS in New London Conneticut in 1979 (almost 2 years after the first two reports). This source was concerned that TWI was a mind control cult that was recruiting sailors from the base using female WOWs that tried to entice the prospective recruits with sex. Subject-3 was concerned that sailors, once recruited into TWI, would pose a threat to national security, because they'd be likely to reveal highly classified information to the cult's leadership (due to the brainwashing). He also identified that there were WOWs in Tampa doing the same thing as in New London. (Note: this could have possibly been worth a follow-up, since nuclear subs are homeported at New London and the headquarters of the US Special Operations Command and US Central Command are located in Tampa. And, after all, how would they know that TWI wasn't just a front organization for the Speznaz or KGB?).

But the key point is -- don't make connections where none exist. And, unless jkboehme has a document to transcribe that shows a connection, there isn't much of a connection between the first two documents and the third document.