GreaseSpot Cafe

Parroting

likeaneagle

I wanted to start a topic on Parroting. I thought about this topic all day yesterday after reading Bliss's post on "the coffee thing". Im my own experiences I dont think I parroted anyone. If I did it was just way of communicating simple understanding. My firm conviction of day one within TWi was to bring myself to a better understanding of Life from his Word. I knew the key for me was understanding God's heart for people and myself. I never tryed to parrot leaders in there sayings or did I judge myself against what others did in thier own walks. I was in a very nuturing (from within) area..Altho occassionaly I did see this stuff...I felt it was from within that God and his word would inspire us..I never tried to fine tune myself to other's to make myself larger or more accepted..since I left, now I see more where I parroted in my actions not according from my heart, due to the slow deception, The Way legalism and wrong doctrine that was proported....I never realized how much junk I had in my head...After leaving I have come to realize how much the Lord Jesus Christ took upon himself to fight because of the load I was carrying while in and for a while after.......I actualy pictured in my mind one day the Cross on my back.....The Way drove me away from understanding true Grace and Mercy...I had to reclaim it again in my Life and learn it all over again....I have put on the new..:)

Warning to those still in.....are you Parroting?

Edited by likeaneagle

Let's explain this "parroting."

Parroting, as I see it,

is when someone just repeats either the words of someone else,

or the actions of someone else.

They usually are done without any actual THINKING and without regard

for whether or not what is said or done is appropriate, and might even

be horribly bad in a situation.

Examples of parroting words:

Someone in "leadership" has produced a teaching claiming

God is not All-Knowing.

When someone challenges the Scriptural accuracy of such a claim

(with verses that say the opposite),

they hear-from several leaders at different levels-

"All I know is that what God's Word says He knows, He knows."

This, of course, does NOTHING to address the issue.

Someone in the rank-and-file challenges the debt policy of twi,

and how it's costing them a LOT of people who leave or are

thrown out. He claims this policy is based on a misunderstanding

of Scripture. He's tired of seeing people he respects leave over

foolishness.

The response he gets?

"It sounds like you have been reading internet rumours."

Of course, this has NOTHING to do with the issue at hand.

A high school class has a visitor-a survivor of the Holocaust.

A few students-twi innies- begin reciting what they were taught

in twi- denouncing her and calling her a LIAR, and reducing

her to tears.

Of course, one person's EYEWITNESS account should count

for any number of people's SPECULATIONS,

but in twi, no dice.

(Yes, all of these have happened.)

...The cliches were a good example of parroting.

Getting rid of "wayspeak" from my vocabulary was a big step in cult recovery. "God bless, you're the best", "renew your mind", "I'll speak in tongues for the situation", "use it or lose it", "God won't spit in your direction...", etc etc etc.

Rational thought was replaced with "waybrain". Instead of thinking logically and giving an appropriate response, people would simply put their brains on auto pilot and spew out cliches.

This parroting thing got so bad that some guys even tried to emulate the personality styles, the hair styles, the clothing styles, and the teaching styles of their favorite leader. It became pathetic.

I suppose that when substance is lacking, style takes on a greater importance.

A high school class has a visitor-a survivor of the Holocaust.

A few students-twi innies- begin reciting what they were taught

in twi- denouncing her and calling her a LIAR, and reducing

her to tears.

That is so incredibly sad, WW. There is a woman here, a university professor, who had been in the prison camps at Auschwitz-Birkenau and Hessisch-Lichtenau. She wrote a book about it, and spoke publically for many years. She spoke one more time at a traveling exhibit on the Holocaust that had come here.

I thought it was important to bring my teenage son to hear her. I wanted him to meet someone who had been there. (That generation will not be with us much longer.) She did not sensationalize, in fact did not want to dwell on the horrors, because they were still so upsetting. We were both very moved by her talk.

Regards,

Shaz

Edited by shazdancer

...The cliches were a good example of parroting.

Getting rid of "wayspeak" from my vocabulary was a big step in cult recovery. "God bless, you're the best", "renew your mind", "I'll speak in tongues for the situation", "use it or lose it", "God won't spit in your direction...", etc etc etc.

Rational thought was replaced with "waybrain". Instead of thinking logically and giving an appropriate response, people would simply put their brains on auto pilot and spew out cliches.

This parroting thing got so bad that some guys even tried to emulate the personality styles, the hair styles, the clothing styles, and the teaching styles of their favorite leader. It became pathetic.

I suppose that when substance is lacking, style takes on a greater importance.

My hubby always called "Way speak" jingoism. He said that with all our "S-I -T " and God bless your face from outer space" not to mention all the class acronyms we ended up shutting people out.

Edited by doojable

Oakspear,

My hubby knew this back when he first said it. he felt like TWI was acting like a "nation with a belligerent foreign policy" Ther were so many terms and "letters" that meant nothing to anyone not twi.

PFAL

Sit

retemorize (while most say "memorize")

etc etc ad nauseum........

all in all it seemed like twi was inventing its own language in a way. And it did indeed prove to be extreme, chauvinistic, and belligerent.

The language had the effect of separating people out like they wre in some kind of club.

Just in case you thought the term was used flippantly...

Remember all the guys growing goatees after craiggers showed up with one?

Everyone going to see Jerry Maguire after craiggers mentioned it?

Everyone reading Ben Franklin's biography because craiggers mentioned it?

Everyone collecting cottages and light houses because craiggers did?

Everyone cursing like a sailor because craiggers did it?

Everyone going to the Caribbean because craiggers did it? Oh, wait - NO! We couldn't afford to do that after paying for craiggers to do it.