GreaseSpot Cafe

Are we getting old or what?!

GarthP2000

Yes, Kit!!!! A MANGLE!!!!!!!

dmiller...is that a Mass license plate I see?

I had the exact same color!!!!

The one in storage for my old age is white.

I put an 8 track in it too!!!

The battery fell through the floor under the car...I put a bar across underneath the seat, and let the battery rest on that!!!!

How did those things run? :blink: :blink: :blink:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww --- Wacky --- that was a pic I *dogpiled*. Actually -- mine was the same color too, though it had an Indiana plate on it.

My 66 bug made the fatal mistake of something in the steering break, as I was going around a curve about 30 miles from home, and when I hit the brakes, and with no steering, it did a coupla 360's in the road, and then I was in the ditch, which added enough friction to the car, that it overturned 2 times (no -- I wasn't wearing a seat belt), and came to rest on it's wheels.

Me -- I was dazed (to say the least) and thought I could drive home, after resting for a moment or two. Some other folks behind me pulled over, called an ambulance, and told me there was no way I could drive home.

I was transported to the hospital with a back brace, and once there, found out I had badly bruised ribs (no wonder it seemed like such a huge chore to breathe!)

Got a chance to see the old bug one last time afterwards -- and it had 3 flat tires, smashed windshield, crumpled top -- but what saved me was the driver side door. The door flew open somewhere during all of this, and absorbed all the shock of the roll-over (both times).

Don't anyone tell me there isn't a God out there watching.

He has certainly been watching out over me ----

Now -- if I could just figure out why, and for what reason.

Just count me as *thankful*. :)

Edited by dmiller

Linda you two look so cute...like wedding cake toppers! Even when I clicked on "enlarge" it still wasn't as big as my gigantic car picture.

David, that looks just like the car I had when I got in twi. I agree that God was watching out for you in a big way, to come away with only bruised ribs!

Remember when the tv stations signed off at midnight on weeknights?

d...do you still have that copy? I'll buy it from you!!!

I use to sit on the hood of mine at my church, which was a cathedral, and meditate. I was into meditation in my early teens and continued til I was witnessed to by a cwow in college.

I had a photo of me somewhere....on the hood of my light green bug, in front of the cathedral...what a pic!!!!

I miss those days....

I have a convertible, Cabrio now....rust is building (just like it should on a VW) and soon I'll have a huge rust hole at my driver door!!! I was thinking of painting flowers on the rust areas....they are growing as I live by the sea.

I wish I had had a vw with a sunroof, mstar...your legs are long tho, not sure if I could have done that trick!!!!!!

Edited by Wacky Funster

I had one of those books for the VW as well... I used it in the back parking lot at Emporia when the entire exhaust manifold and system fell out of the bottom of my Orange 69 Microbus (with no back seats and blue shag carpet)... it had holes in the front floorboard where it had rusted through and you could watch the street go by if you moved the floor mat...

We are old... I figure it works out though because my body feels like it's about 90 and my brain feels like it's 18...

Those irons with the rollers... in the hotel business we called them "manglers"... not because that was their name, but because that's what it did to people when they got their hands/arms caught in them...

Another thing on that old micro-bus... we drove it from DFW to Emporia through one of the worst ice storms ever to get back on time from hoho relo... didn't want to be late... all of the folks in the back (you know who you are) were bundled up in sleeping bags because you know they had no heater... the ice was about two inches thick all the way around the bus before we hit Oklahoma... heck, it took us about 3 hours just to get to Denton... blew a plug on the way but kept on truckin'... we were spraying de-icer on the inside of the windshield just so we could see out... and then we had our meeting that night and they went into the Jonestown thing...

...my feet were still burning because I'd put Cayenne in my socks to keep my feet warm...