GreaseSpot Cafe

Are we getting old or what?!

GarthP2000

:blink:

I was taking a look at the photo section of the board, and I came to the stark realization that a good number of folks here are grandparents. Heading for the silver age and retirement. AARP candidates.

I remember the day when we (as Wayfers and in general) were a bunch of twenty-somethings coming out of high school/college and ready to change the world, be it thru our twigs, rocking n' rolling, or in other areas that we were looking forward to getting involved in. (Where was the internet back then fer crying out loud? :CUSSING: )

O well, don't mind me. Just the rantings of someone who is realizing more and more that time seems to be speeding up (SLOW IT DOWN, for Pete's sake! :confused: )

"Times, they are a-changin'!"

Bob Dylan, one of the true song meisters of our day.

(snif)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to take your Centrum Silver, eh Garth?

One day we'll all meet on a Florida beach with Hawaiian shirts, mismatched shorts pulled up to our chests and black socks with sandals and shake our canes at each other while leering at bikini clad girls playing volleyball.

I wonder if the Greasespt Cafe will offer wheelchairs and Geritol?

In racquetball tournaments there are "age brackets" that we can compete in (along with the "normal brackets, open, A,B,C,D,NOVICE). I can play in the 45+ bracket :blink: , if I don't want to compete with "kids" :unsure: .

I am now eligiable to compete in the "senior" racquetball tourneys :blink:

I don't remember getting older...

Lol my husband was deeply disturbed to recieve his invitation to join aarp.....almost as disturbing as it was to me to realize I was married to someone old enough to belong!!

Z ... I find it difficult that I have to compete in the *senior* division as well in karate.

Also disturbing ...my *baby* will be 18 this year ...MAN I cannot figure out when THAT happened....I still feel like I am a *new* mother :(

The last 18 yrs snuck up on me along with the extra 50 lbs I have some how aquired :(

I was talking to a 24 year old social worker the other day and I thought geez how can she possibly know anything?

so we all have age bias at times I think.

Im past middle age now BUT honestly I still live like I did when I was 22 .

look at who is in the congress and lets talk about who is an old fart !!

all of them are old I mean 70's and 80's.

so I try to keep a perspective.

it does take longer to feel pretty tho ESP when I see the older actresses on tv like Tina Turner who is in sixties . Goldie hawn etc.

to much of a standard for me really.

but we will all work longer now so it is good.

What I think is old is people who do not move on and try new things regardless of age.

I never guess ages anymore , I would be wrong I know many many people working well into their 70's and 80's. and some very successful people just out of the teen age so .. it is all good as long as I try to keep up.

Time to take your Centrum Silver, eh Garth?

One day we'll all meet on a Florida beach with Hawaiian shirts, mismatched shorts pulled up to our chests and black socks with sandals and shake our canes at each other while leering at bikini clad girls playing volleyball.

I wonder if the Greasespt Cafe will offer wheelchairs and Geritol?

ron

didn't we meet on the beach last year?!lol

As long as we allow our bodies to keep up with our brain, I think this group is one that will keep trying new things-we have a lot to make up for!

This has probably been mentioned, but these are some of my signs that I had reached a certain age.

1. Haven't watched the Grammy's in years 'cause I don't recognize any of the artists.

2. Paying attention to the Centrum Silver commercials.

3. Ears perk up when I here "If you are between the ages of...."

4. Rejected by online surveys because I'm not in the age group they want.

5. Laminating my AARP card.

6. Finding things I own in an antique store.

7. Moving from the third floor to the first.

What's most disturbing to me is knowing in another 4 years (when I hit 55), I'll be eligible for senior citizen discounts at a lot of places. I don't feel so senior!

Of course, I plan on taking full advantage of it! :biglaugh:

I took my dad shopping for Rockport shoes the last time I was in NY. The clerk said they gave a 25% discount to AARP members. I whipped out that membership card so fast I think I gave myself a paper cut.

The AARP thing....

I don't know how or why this happens, but several other women I work with, who also have had babies in the past year, are suddenly alerted by AARP that they have qualified for membership -- we think there's some screw up with the enrollment info and the hospital forms or something, as we're all 30-somethings.

So, it is true that having kids makes you old! I have proof from AARP!

In racquetball tournaments there are "age brackets" that we can compete in (along with the "normal brackets, open, A,B,C,D,NOVICE). I can play in the 45+ bracket :blink: , if I don't want to compete with "kids" :unsure: .

I am now eligible to compete in the "senior" racquetball tourneys :blink:

I don't remember getting older...

I hear ya Zshot. Fiddle contests have categories too, and I am

no longer eligible to compete in the *intermediate* division (ages 26 - 50).

The shock (and dismay) must have showed on my face,

when they first told me I had to compete as a *senior*. icon_eek.gif

The *up* side of that was, I didn't have to compete against the kids who had

nimble fingers, lots of time to practice, no job to work, and parents who could

drive them around to festivals all summer long to keep their *chops* up.

The *down* side of it is -- I was better than most seniors,

and usually ended up in the championship category, which was

filled with the best of the kids, the ones I thought I had escaped!

I don't remember getting old either.

Chas said:

I don't know how or why this happens, but several other women I work with, who also have had babies in the past year, are suddenly alerted by AARP that they have qualified for membership -- we think there's some screw up with the enrollment info and the hospital forms or something, as we're all 30-somethings.

I got my first pitch from them in my 30s, too. I was shocked at the time. Now that I know they exist mainly to sell life insurance, I'm not so surprised.

And speaking of getting old. I had to go to the DMV yesterday on my way to work. I was second in line so I got waited on right away, but the woman who was helping me was soooooooooooooo slow. I thought, "What a little old lady, poking along like that. She oughta retire!" Then I took a good look at her and realized she was probably about my age!

my first car was a '39 buick - - the first year Buick built an automatic transmission. I bought it in '61...straight 8 - - wood dashboard....flower holders in the rear.....great car....lasted 7 months and the transmission died. I didn't have the funds to repair it.

So my next car was a '49 ford....drove that thing from '62 - 81 when the doors would no longer stay closed!

Edited by krysilis

Tonto-I'm very jealous. I always wanted that car!

Mine was a '65 Pontiac Tempest: got it for $300 in '74. It had those hydralic jacks in back, which, thankfully, I never figured out how to use. It had starter problems: I used to have to get under and manually twist the starter into place to get it going. It took me all over California, then to Mississippi, then Illinois. We dressed it up as the "Mystery Wagon" for a parade, and then I totaled the poor thing in a rainstorm. Oh well-got a lot out of it for $300-lot of money for a struggling believer back then.