Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A young man decides he would like to learn to play Bass Harmonica.

Returning home from his first lesson, the father asks,

"How did it go?"

"Great", said the son, "I learned 'C'."

After his second lesson the father inquires again.

"Super", said the son, " I learned 'G'."

After his third lesson, he does not return at all and finally shows up in the wee hours of the morning.

The father is furious and screams,"Where have you been?"

To which the son responds---------------" I had a gig."

borrowed from Harp-L(a harmonica forum)

Welcome Techmike-Glad to have you here. I have been in touch with Dan Moran, he's an old buddy. I'm sure he would love to hear from you.

Dan-The baritone Don was playing was hade made up here in Canada=I think it was a name something like Larmer.

I spoke to him after the concert because I was interested in his nails. He uses glue-ons. I want to get more into finger picking, but I find for acoustic guitar I don't get a big enough sound with nails so I think I'm gonna try fingerpicks. The only trouble with finger picks as Dan says "you can only finger one way".

Well I'm not that good so I think "one way" picking might be good enough for me to get through some Hank Williams tunes.

Anyone interested in serious study of classical, chromatic harmonica?

There is an updated version of the Tommy Reilly Chromatic Harmonica Course available at www. douglastate.com/book.htm(or look for link on Harp-L forum in posts for June 3, 07)

Both Tommy Reilly and Douglas Tate were world class (and world renown) classical harmonica experts.

Anyone interested in serious study of classical, chromatic harmonica?

There is an updated version of the Tommy Reilly Chromatic Harmonica Course available at www. douglastate.com/book.htm(or look for link on Harp-L forum in posts for June 3, 07)

Both Tommy Reilly and Douglas Tate were world class (and world renown) classical harmonica experts.

Well now, I'd certainly like to at least hear them! I love harmonicas. And, and this is just my vanity speaking: Last week, while playing a gig in Haines, Alaska, an older gentleman came up to me during our break and said; "Have you ever heard of the "Harmonicats"? And I said; "Well, yeah! Those guys were world famous back in the forties!" And he replied that he had played with them a number of times using what he described as a "bass harmonica". And, he went on to tell me that I was an excellent harmonica player, although "it is obvious that you play "diatonic harmonica" exclusively" (and he was /is right). Well now, I was flabergasted, and knew in my heart that he had been drinking some, and that he was waxing nostalgic. But, immediately, I responded in true "Waynes World" style by going "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!" And he laughed and said that no, your style is different than mine, and I am just saying that the "sweet and hard sound of your harps are really nice, takes me back". And then I offered him one of my harps and asked him to play. And play he did! Very nice renditions of "Put A Yellow Ribbon On The Old Oak Tree", and the "William Tell Overture" (Awesome!), and other older more "fortiesh/fiftiesh" type songs. He even got a tear in his eyes as he played. Broke me up. And so, we had a fine moment there at the Haines, Alaska American Legion Bar under the Midnight Sun (even though we were inside). I invited him up to play, but for some reason, he declined. But lemmee tell ya, when I got home, I downloaded some "Harmonicats" music and was BLOWN AWAY! William Tell Overture! Wow. Amazing. Try it, you'll like it! I, for the life of me can't imagine having chops that fast! Wow! I mean, just when you might think that you are playing pretty well, you find that the sky is the limit! There is always some one who has takin it so much farther than you even know. And in this case, a bunch of well disciplined and talented kids from the Forties. Too cool it was, and I am so blessed by this last weekend's interesting turn of events...

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Haven't been in these parts for a long while.

I was at that Don Ross concert PB speaks of.

The luthier that Don Ross has make his guitars is Marc Beneteau.

Here is his website. He has Don Ross' guitar on the website with the sideways frets...check it out!

Marc Beneteau Guitars

In his bio... this Marc Beneteau speaks of meeting guitar builder Jean Larrivée in 1974 which caused his career change from musician to guitar builder.

I recently played a Larrivée guitar in a nearby guitar shop... I just didn't want to stop playing.. I was in heaven! That same day I played Martins, Guilds, Gibsons from all price ranges. The Larrivée was a better guitar. There was NO comparison!

Edited by A la prochaine

I recently played a Larrivée guitar in a nearby guitar shop... I just didn't want to stop playing.. I was in heaven! That same day I played Martins, Guilds, Gibsons from all price ranges. The Larrivée was a better guitar. There was NO comparison!

What kind of price tag was on it???

(Just curious!)

:spy:

Mr. Music Man,

The Larrivée I played was about 1900 $ if I remember correctly.

The Martins and Guilds were much more than this.

What a tone it had. A rich, deep tone. The other guitars all sounded tinny in comparison.

Also, that Marc Beneteau guitar you posted, the one that looks soooooooooooooo wrong... had a sound like no other. Don Ross explained the principal behind it but I can't remember how it works. Maybe PB does or maybe it's explained on the site.

And yes, I can vouch for PB... he was drooling the whole night! He and my husband were just awe struck... there eyes pretty much bulging outta' their heads! I think if they had had a chance to just 'touch' the thing, their lives would have been fulfilled that night! :rolleyes:

Edited by A la prochaine

Also, that Marc Beneteau guitar you posted, the one that looks soooooooooooooo wrong... had a sound like no other. Don Ross explained the principal behind it but I can't remember how it works. Maybe PB does or maybe it's explained on the site.

Oh -- I can believe that. Absolutely and positively!

In fact ---- if I had money, I'd even bet on it!! :spy:

It just looks so lopsided with the bridge at that angle!

That was all I meant by the comment. ;)

Any guitar made by a private luthier has GOT to sound better than the mass produced ones.

I've a friend (L!oyd LaP!ant) who makes both guitars and mandolins of excellent quality.

Even when they're brand new -- they sound as good as if they've been played for 50 years.

So I can truly believe you about the sound of THAT one! :)

Hee hee..

NO WAYSIDER.. set your soul at rest.. I didn't go to the game.. I just heard from another spotter that she sang...

SO, I'm stuck in town too... Ottawa is about 4 hrs away from me.

Mr. Music Man,

The price I quoted was for the Larivée guitar.. 1900 $. I thought that was what you were asking me about. I have NO idea what that Don Ross guitar costs.

The Larivée guitar is mass produced you could say.. I don't actually know too much about them except that they used to be produced in Québec, but now are made in CA but all the wood still comes from Canada.

And talk about confused... I thought I had posted the Alanis songs on the MUSIC THREAD, not the Guitar Thread. Sheesh... sorry guys and gals.

:B)

I realize Alanis doesn't have much to do with your guitar talk here... i'm moving it!

Edited by A la prochaine

This is for Jonny and Polar Bear since we've touched on the subject of harmonicas.

About 10 or so years ago, I went to a Paul DeLay gig. The club owner decided to have a contest to see who had driven the farthest to see the show. I won(150 miles).

The prize was 2 tickets to the next show, Carey Bell.

The crowd was light at that show (Sunday night) so I got to sit at the bar and shoot the breeze with Carey during his first break. He was a very sweet and open guy.

I'm going to post some youtube of Carey playing "The big 64" in 3rd position, not using the button.

Since the 64 is in C, this makes the tune in D(Dmin.). You could also play it in 2nd position on a G harp(diatonic).

Note that he plays it through some type of FX gear. I have no idea what type. This is where the guitar players jump in and say, "Geeze, Waysider, that a hoopy doopy flang-o-matic." At least I'm HOPING they do because I'm quite lost with a lot of the pedals and special gizmoes.

Also, note that the guitar player(Steve Jacobs,maybe?) seems to be using his index finger to very adeptly pick in both directions (no finger picks in use)

OK--- I'm not too good at a lot of this stuff yet, so I'm putting this on my next post.

Edited by waysider