Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh MAN, I was listening to Bluseville (XM Radio) and heard a guy named Toby Walker doing THIS . Now, the link I posted is only a 2 minute sample, but that was all I could find. So I just ordered the disc that it's on, called "Toby Walker Plays Well With Others". The whole disc sounds good...can't wait to get it! If you like acoustic blues, I highly reccomend it!

Rick

Edited by Bluzeman

Oh MAN, I was listening to Bluseville (XM Radio) and heard a guy named Toby Walker doing THIS . Now, the link I posted is only a 2 minute sample, but that was all I could find. So I just ordered the disc that it's on, called "Toby Walker Plays Well With Others". The whole disc sounds good...can't wait to get it! If you like acoustic blues, I highly reccomend it!

Rick

Rick

Little Toby Walker won the IBC in Memphis a couple years ago.

He then came through Columbus and played The Blues Station or Thirsty Ear or some place like that.

Check out the NATIONAL he is holding on his homepage.

He will be part of a weekend workshop @ Fur Peace Ranch in Pomeroy in April, 08 along with Jorma K. and Jack C.

WOW Bullwinkl! That has always been one of my all time FAVORITE songs but I didn't even know there WAS an unplugged version of it! Great video!

Your wife's guitar looks nice! I love the sound of a 12 string! What kind of music does she play?

I have some friends here and we're getting ready to do some jamming so I may not see your reply for awhile.

Rick

Her strength is Folk but after performing for 34 years you learn to do what the crowd wants.

She also has a Gibson, an Ovation (which is what she usually uses for performance), and another hand built. That one is a classical guitar, you know the smaller body and everything. It was built by a guy here in Ky and he called her up when it was ready and told her "You better come get it, Chet Atkins is looking at it and wants it." Needless to say she hightailed it over to pick up.

JLD Bridge System follow up. Hi all. Ordered from Stewrart-MacDonald. Order was shipped 8/07/07. Got hungup at P.O. Box, no notice. Waited 10 days. Contacted Stew-Mac. They Shipped another unit out yesterday, Which I will send back as they said first order might have got lost in transit. Original order came today. A+ for Stew-mac F- for P.O. If I did not recieve another package they would not have noticed this one. Anyway, Did not look like it would do anything but secure my bridge from pulling up and keeping the top from warpping any more. I got the one where you have to drll into the bridge. Guinea Pig guitar, Aspen Hummingbird copy. Pretty easy to install, you do need 9/64's bit and 1/4" brad point bit and a little saw to cut tension rod to lenght. All said and done. The sound hole warp is still there maybe not as bad. It did bring the bridge up to almost level, real close, I'll play it for a week and give the tension rod another turn if it needs it. The bridge angle was very noticable before. Sort of lining up with the heel at the back of guitar, maybe not that much but close.I did not check with straight edge just a slightly exaggerated guess. so for the bridge part it looks better already. It might take a couple days or longer for the 30 or so years of it being like that for the wood to relax. now for the fuller sound and more sustain. Yep got some of that too. I did switch strings. From Martin SP Phosphor Bronze 12's to D'Angelico Phosphor Bronze 12's, I like D'Angelico just took me some time to find them. Not a popular brand. glad I have a computer now, could not have found them otherwise, sorry about that side tracked. So I did get a fuller sound with this guitar. Nice on the bottom. almost like a drone effect when strumming. Now for the finger picking part(or Flat pick, plectrum) I do get more sustain,not a miricle amount but more than I was. This is how I will describe it. Before I would pluck the high E, 10 count all gone. Got weak quick. now it holds a strong 12 count and is still fading at 16, the low E will ring into 20+. My opinion. It made this guitar sound better And so far it took care of most of the bridge problem, a little more time it just might take care of the little bit left and I probably can use 13's without worry as bridge is now scewed in place. For me it was worth the purchase. The past issues I thought it might have do not exist. Still not a Gibson, but a good road-ready player

Thanks for the breekdown walking. Good news! :)

It will be good to see how it works over time around the soundhole but you got most of the warping corrected pretty quickly sounds like. Very cool.

I like Dangelico strings too. Usually buy those, they have a nice full sound. Usually what I buy for my acoustic.

Do the screws for the bridge come with it or did you use others...?

Thanks for the breekdown walking. Good news! :)

It will be good to see how it works over time around the soundhole but you got most of the warping corrected pretty quickly sounds like. Very cool.

I like Dangelico strings too. Usually buy those, they have a nice full sound. Usually what I buy for my acoustic.

Do the screws for the bridge come with it or did you use others...?

I purchased the $22.+ set up. It is only 1 screw, flathead, maybe 1/4-20 machine thread. Comes with it.

I will say this this was not a highend guitar. It is a good guitar in my opinion. Now it is better. It does have more sustain and better sound. I was surprised.

D'Angelico acoustic strings have the sound I like. I did not realize the difference as I could not find them for years. I thought they were no longer made.

Cool, walking. I'm kinda picky about strings too, have a couple brands I like, although anything would do in a pinch, I guess.

I got two Epiphone Les Pauls recently. Need to get some pics of them up. They're nice. The sound is classic LP, they have two "vintage" alnico humbuckers and some very cool paint finishes. Overall they play very well, out of the case. I had to dress the frets on one a bit, but the action with 09's - 048's is very nice.

I hear ya Rick. I used 10's for awhile too, and went to 9's again while back. Right now my Tele has 10's, and a Fernandes and these Epi's with 9's. A Gretsch with flat wound 11's. I like the stretch and the little break it gives my fingers on the 9's. :) But overall I'd go heavier on everything if me fingers could take it. Certain things I just can't do on heavier, at this stage of the game anyway.

The Epi's were a deal I got through a friend who worked for the company that made the paint finish. They're lighter than a Gibson, and while they're not "a" Gibby LP, they're full fledged Pauls IMO. The tone and playing is full toned with all the "beef" you'd want but not as much weight which I like at this point. Having had a Gold Top for years, I've looked around at Gibsons but not ready to pay the price they're asking. I like the playability and the price was an offer I couldn't refuse.

Yeah, I'm not sure my hand could deal with 11's anymore either but I sure love the tone!

For the last year I have had a bad problem with numbness and pain in my left hand. Not sure if it's arthritis, carpal tunnel, or just getting old. But whatever it is, it TRUELY both sucks AND blows. :(

Rick

I hear ya, Rick, on that numbness thing.

I just get numbness without the pain.

But, it's in my right hand, not my left.( bad news for a walking style bass player)

After about 5 minutes, I could use my right hand to hammer 16 penny spikes and not feel a thing.

I had it diagnosed and they said it was carpel T.

They wanted to cut me but I balked, not because I fear being cut( been there, done that), but because I disagree with their conclusion.

I had some serious trauma to that shoulder about 10 years ago and I really think this is where the problem originates.

I do have pain in that shoulder that radiates through my bicep and then dissipates into a numbness as it reaches my hand.

The Docs scoffed at my assessment but, hey, it's my body and that's what it tells me.

Well, I find the longer I refrain from playing bass, the better it gets.

(The short scale Epiphone has helped also.)

I also find if I use a really long strap and hold the bass low that it helps.

Neither of those are options I particularly like but it makes me glad that I honk away on the harp, also.

At least I have that as an outlet.

BTW---Hubert Sumlin is headlining "Hot Licks Blues Festival" in Granville this year.(September 15th)

Details at columbusblues.com---(events page)

Yeah, I'm not sure my hand could deal with 11's anymore either but I sure love the tone!

For the last year I have had a bad problem with numbness and pain in my left hand. Not sure if it's arthritis, carpal tunnel, or just getting old. But whatever it is, it TRUELY both sucks AND blows. :(

Rick

(((((you)))))

How well I remember times when your hand gave out while you were playing for me. I cried then and still do. A guitarist should never have to endure such a thing.