• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, dmiller!

Just wanted to let you know that my son took your advise to heart and checked out that Yamaha acoustic we talked about awhile back.

He just got it about a week ago.

It's really nicely made. It's got beautiful tone. It's consistent all the way up the fret board and I, myself, really like the low action.

It's a pleasure to play.

I think it's really important for a "newbie" to start with an instrument that doesn't "put up a struggle".

They have enough to concentrate on without having to figure out an instrument's shortcomings.

Thanks again for your recommendation.

Waysider

ps---- the price was pretty nice, too!

Hey, dmiller!

Just wanted to let you know that my son took your advise to heart and checked out that Yamaha acoustic we talked about awhile back.

He just got it about a week ago.

It's really nicely made. It's got beautiful tone. It's consistent all the way up the fret board and I, myself, really like the low action.

It's a pleasure to play.

I think it's really important for a "newbie" to start with an instrument that doesn't "put up a struggle".

They have enough to concentrate on without having to figure out an instrument's shortcomings.

Thanks again for your recommendation.

Waysider

ps---- the price was pretty nice, too!

Aw Shucks!!!! There's a bit of the soft spot in my heart for young un's learning! :redface:

I've gone round after round with folks who want to buy *cheap* for their kids (or themselves), until they are convinced that one (or the other) is serious about learning the instrument.

BOTTOM LINE IS --- the CHEAPER the instrument,

the HARDER it will be to play and get excited about future picking.

Sure --- ya might save a coupla hundred bucks (initially) , but the emotional and physical toll it takes on a person STRUGGLING to try to make it sound right (when they are JUST beginning), does more damage, than it does good.

Cheap IS NOT GOOD for a beginner, regardless of musical inclinations. Never has been, never will be. If one is going to get *inspired* by an instrument they want to aspire to, it has to be able to treat the student kindly -- giving good tone, easy play-ability, and no nonesense *tricks up the sleeve* (if ya know what I mean). Kinda like a teacher might offer. The instrument HAS to be *forgiving*, and offer it's best for the student to want to even think about continuing.

A cheap instrument is like a lousy teacher. No matter how much you want to learn -- neither will enhance your playing. I'm glad to hear your son got something decent. *Cheap* doesn't neccesarily referr to price, eh? Sounds like the guitar he has has a lotta quality notes in it. Here's hoping he finds ALL of them. :)

Edited by dmiller

Hey Git pickers, I've been reading and keeping up with the posts here but not contributing much of late. I may not in the near future, so please feel free to email me at soques@hotmail.com with all the cool guitar news that's coming down the pike. I'd like to keep up with everyone's progress and enjoyment of all-things-guitar and musical and share back. I'll likely be back here later this year but if I don't see ya no more in this world, I'll meet in the next one. Don't be late. (okay, it's Hendrix and weird but it's always had that cool sound to me) :biglaugh: If I should release that big album before then, I'll be sure to let everyone know! (I can still dream right?)

Peace homies! Spank that plank! :)

Dear (((((((Socks)))))), :cryhug_1_:

You will be sorely missed!!! Even though, I just read this thread, Your input is priceless and valued! You add a lot of heart and soul to Greasespot; here and on all the threads! Please do reconsider and continue to be part of the solutions and not part of the problems! You are a good man! We don't always agree but I respect you, both your heart and your style.

I read Excies thread as I do many others without posting on them. I hope that they don't erase it and people reread it more carefully and realize what really is happening in the posters hearts and work it out better! Do hurry back and GOD Bless You and keep You and Your Loved Ones!

I Love You Socks, RainbowsGirl

Dear (((((((Socks)))))), :cryhug_1_:

You will be sorely missed!!! Even though, I just read this thread, Your input is priceless and valued! You add a lot of heart and soul to Greasespot; here and on all the threads! Please do reconsider and continue to be part of the solutions and not part of the problems! You are a good man! We don't always agree but I respect you, both your heart and your style.

I read Excies thread as I do many others without posting on them. I hope that they don't erase it and people reread it more carefully and realize what really is happening in the posters hearts and work it out better! Do hurry back and GOD Bless You and keep You and Your Loved Ones!

I Love You Socks, RainbowsGirl

Hi RG,

May I clarify your heart on that bold faced portion of your post as I feel Socks was not a part of the problem in any aspect at all. And perhaps you feel the same way but the words just represented themselves a bit differently. I have assumed before when reading someone and later learned it was not their intentions. So I would respectfully ask you to help me out on this.

Kathy

Gee

Maybe I'm slippin' in my old age or somethin'.

When I read his post I just took it to mean he was gonna be real busy for a couple of months.

I thought he was suggesting e-mail instead of PM because he will see it quicker.

Did I miss something?